Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

14 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I have to believe that a motivated JJ Watt is still very dangerous 

Not to mention that he could pass on quite a bit of pass rush knowledge to Epenesa and Johnson but i think he will want more cash than Beane is willing to put out but i hope i'mwrong he would be a good get for our pass rush him on 1 side and Jerry on the other could be a lethal duo off the edge .

Frazier would love it !! So would we ...

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

Ouch. Not even trading him then. Seems like they could have gotten something for him.

The skeptic in me suggests the Texans learned that the queue of teams lining up to trade a significant draft pick for a 32 yr old who has been seriously injured 3 of the last 5 seasons, is on the last year of his contract, and is owed $17.5M, was not long.

Also, it's possible Watt had a no-trade clause in there to further complicate things.

I was at first hesitant to bring Watt in. Now I’ve changed my mind. I think he would add the best leadership to this defense. Let’s not forget all the good he’s done off the field too. He’s a total class act and I think he would give this defense a massive boost. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the Steelers are a semi contender due to their defense but if he really wants a ring I don’t see it. Ben isn’t TB12. As far playing time though I actually think fewer snaps in a rotation would boost his production. 

Considering he played something like 90%+ of the snaps for Houston last year, I absolutely agree. Less snaps would keep him fresher and up his production.

And while I'm sure he'd like less snaps, I dont think he'd be happy being depth. He still wants to start, and then be on rotation. Just my guess.

• Like (+1) 2

this is one of those shroedingers pass rushers.  he could come here and be a dud, be ok and provide leadership, or pull a lonzo and just ball out with smarts and power (which is the last thing to go)

for some reason, i think he'd be a hit here.  if we can pull some magic and get him and a real stud DE in FA, get a bargain gem at TE, and draft for OG, RB, MLB/OLB, CB2, we'd be monsters.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

He's going to go play with his brother in Pitt, right? 

20 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

He will end up in Tampa Pittsburgh Green Bay or here.  He will want to go to a contender where he will start. 

Doubtful unless he plans to sign for the vet minimum (not happening). Pittsburgh is currently about $30 million over the cap and has their own FAs to sign. And he wants to win a ring. If the Stillers run it back with Roethlisberger or even a rookie this year, they are not a true contender, IMO. They are close to entering 'drought era Bills' territory until they find a franchise QB, regardless of their D.

• Like (+1) 1

Watching the games it seemed the Texans allowed Watt to do what he wanted to do which is rush the passer every single play so that he could build up his sack stats. Consequently, the Texans were constantly getting gashed with the run to Watts side as Watt continued his move to the backfield. Back in the day I remember they would try to run to Bruce’s side and Bruce would stop on a dime and spin back to stuff the run. JJ is no Bruce. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Doubtful unless he plans to sign for the vet minimum (not happening). Pittsburgh is currently about $30 million over the cap and has their own FAs to sign. And he wants to win a ring. If the Stillers run it back with Roethlisberger or even a rookie this year, they are not a true contender, IMO. They are close to entering 'drought era Bills' territory until they find a franchise QB, regardless of their D.

Life comes at you fast. They were 11-0 and now headed toward major uncertainty ... need to deal with Villanueva, juju, Dupree as FAs... Ben’s contract is an albatross ... I could see JJ watt and cam on the inside and TJ watt and dupree on the outside but Ben’s arm is falling apart and that overshadows everything 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1