Feliciano: "I don't see myself going anywhere else. I see myself as a Bill next year."

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills have been scouting centers also. 

I'm not a trenches guy so I rely on podcasts and some posters on here to understand the X's and O's.

What I'm hearing is Morse isn't a great fit for the running game.  He's a pin and pull guy...so it seems to be a fit mismatch. 

I think he's a good center but maybe better for another team.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

that was a big time halftime adjustment.  We were in trouble without a fix.  For whatever reason, I thought Hayward was lined up opposite Boettger for the majority of the first half....was it Feliciano?

I forgot Feliciano is playing RG...I always remember him playing LG. You are right, it was Boettiger

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

“I don’t see myself going anywhere else”....until my agent shows Beane the market value on Spotrac and Beane laughs at him and tells him that the highest he’s going is 4M aav....almost half of his suggested (and ludicrous) market value. 

that’s where his tune changes imo

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't want to cut him.  I just think it's going to happen.  

Do we save anything significant cutting Morse? 

The only thing that scares me about Morse is that he is one more knock on the head from retirement most likely.  Feliciano could be a cheaper option move him to centre. Plug Ford back in at one guard spot?

Im not saying it’s the best move but maybe financially beneficial to find money for other areas.

5 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

The only thing that scares me about Morse is that he is one more knock on the head from retirement most likely.  Feliciano could be a cheaper option move him to centre. Plug Ford back in at one guard spot?

Im not saying it’s the best move but maybe financially beneficial to find money for other areas.

Yes. Just over $5M this year, and $11M next year.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My bold prediction is Morse is cut.  Feliciano moves to center.

We sign at least one guard in FA/or draft one high that's starting material, I would think probably a bigger body guard.  Ford/Boettger/FA/Draft pick battle for two starting spots.

Royale, you’re normally on it and this doesn’t surprise me.  My guess and I have nothing to back it up is Feliciano moves to Center, they use Ford at LG, cut Morse and most likely Brown (even though I don’t like it as I’m guessing he played hurt and why he was slower), and at RG, maybe Boettger.  I know I threw Brown in there, but he’s a cap hit that allows us $ for extending Williams, or Milano.  I doubt both, but Williams was fantastic as an example against TJ Watt for one game.

I absolutely love Milano, and Sal and crew this morning even pointed out what an impact he made, but we can’t keep everyone.

2 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I think we save something like $6 million.

Beane said he would be surprised if Ford isn’t starting in an interview.

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“I don’t see myself going anywhere else”....until my agent shows Beane the market value on Spotrac and Beane laughs at him and tells him that the highest he’s going is 4M aav....almost half of his suggested (and ludicrous) market value. 

that’s where his tune changes imo

4 is a little low.  But I do agree that Spotracs market value for him is high, honestly most of their projections are.   He is a guy you pay 5-7 depending on where he starts on the line.  If he is your RG you give him a tiny bit over 5, if he is your center its a tiny bit over 7.   He is an above average player, but he has also missed games so that needs to be factored in.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

And his real deficiencies were exposed in the AFCCG when he was easily the worst player in the field.

I love his attitude and fore but I don’t know if he’s good enough in pass protection.  I can see moving him to center and cutting Morse, but we’d be replacing a good pass protection C with a crappy pass protection C. It would definitely help the run game though. We need interior lineman that aren’t inept at run blocking and pass blocking.  More balance 

I've said this before, but whether that's true depends upon what style of run game the Bills want to run.  Morse can be a good run blocker in space - a very good run blocker in space - but not if you want to run a power game.  Feliciano is more power but can get beat by stunts in the rungame (and the pass game).  There's a bunch of stuff in the Cover1 video that surprised me.  I'm working my way through the film to see for myself if they cherry-picked and so far I'd say "no".  Feliciano wasn't as good at run blocking as his reputation.

What I don't know, is how Mongo's off-season surgery last year contributed to his torn pec and to his blocking struggles once he came back.  He said in one interview that he hadn't been blocking well this season.  I don't think we appreciate that if a guy is working back from injury and playing with painkillers, that may affect his speed and reflexes.  If they think a healthy off season will let him raise his game, that could be good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think they like Feliciano at center because he's more of a push guy.  Morse is your pin/pull time of blocker.

I think people underestimate the sign of Morse being benched against AZ.  He was cleared to play and healthy.

McDermott called it a football decision, Morse said himself that the coach's sent him a message with that move.

The underestimate that we were a MUCH better offense with Morse in games and it wasn't close.

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The answer to what question is obvious?

You protect the passer? 

Morse is exponentially better at pass blocking that Feliciano.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think we save something like $6 million.

$4.8M.  We take on $5.5M dead cap.  I could be wrong, I don't see it.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Beane said he would be surprised if Ford isn’t starting in an interview.

What Beane actually said was closer to "he'll have to compete, of course, but I'll be surprised if he isn't one of the best 5"

He also refused to commit to Ford as a tackle or a guard.

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea even if Morse is here for 2021 I think he is gone after it. A young center would not be a stupid move. 

I think this may be the plan for 2021.  Draft a Center in early rounds this year with the plan he starts at LG for 2021.  After the season, they cut Morse and the draftee is Center for 2022.  Similar to when Bills drafted Eric Wood.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not a trenches guy so I rely on podcasts and some posters on here to understand the X's and O's.

What I'm hearing is Morse isn't a great fit for the running game.  He's a pin and pull guy...so it seems to be a fit mismatch. 

That depends right? on what kind of run game the Bills want to run.  It's not a podcast, but if you haven't watched it I STRONGLY recommend you watch the Cover1 "glaring run game" issues piece.  It's long, I think you'll find it enlightening.

The first thing of note is that last year, when we were running somewhat more successfully, we were primarily a gap run team (pin and pull).  We became a zone run team this year.

What does Daboll really want us to be?

I think he's a good center but maybe better for another team.

Morse is one of the best pass blocking centers in the league.  Let's walk through the logic here:

1) The Bills became a pass-heavy team this season

2) As long as Josh Allen stays healthy and on-point, we will remain that

3) We want to improve our run blocking so that our run game becomes more effective and efficient - not so that it supplants our pass game

4) Therefore we should cut our good pass blocking center and replace him with a center who is significantly worse in the pass game and better in a specific style of run blocking (which we may or may not want to execute)

Makes sense? 🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea even if Morse is here for 2021 I think he is gone after it. A young center would not be a stupid move. 

I agree with the folks who suggest we will draft a C/G reasonably high, give him a year to adjust to the NFL game, and if all goes well move on from Morse next year.

19 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

The underestimate that we were a MUCH better offense with Morse in games and it wasn't close.

The three games where Feliciano replaced Morse at center were 1st NE, Seahawks, and Arizona.

We had a season-high rush yards in the NWE game and a 2nd highest pass yards in the Seahawks game, so I'm not sure how you construct that argument.

IMHO the Arizona game was the audition for "OK, how does this specific line perform with a more balanced attack?" and the answer was to put Morse back under center the next game.  But it wasn't an "OMG, awful game, much much better with Morse!" thing either.

19 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Morse is exponentially better at pass blocking that Feliciano.

I think you may not understand the actual meaning of an exponential change.  Morse is better, yes.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with the folks who suggest we will draft a C/G reasonably high, give him a year to adjust to the NFL game, and if all goes well move on from Morse next year.

The three games where Feliciano replaced Morse at center were 1st NE, Seahawks, and Arizona.

We had a season-high rush yards in the NWE game and a 2nd highest pass yards in the Seahawks game, so I'm not sure how you construct that argument.

IMHO the Arizona game was the audition for "OK, how does this specific line perform with a more balanced attack?" and the answer was to put Morse back under center the next game.  But it wasn't an "OMG, awful game, much much better with Morse!" thing either.

I think you may not understand the actual meaning of an exponential change.  Morse is better, yes.

Seattle had the worst defense in the league. 

Arizona was without their starting 2 IDL. Those are two awful arguments and I think you know that as did the coaching staff because they put Morse in the next game. 

if Morse isn’t in for LA Rams we probably get stomped. 

again, yes, rushing yards. Josh Allen is your QB, I’d rather have a better pass pro center. 

Edited by warrior9