Feliciano: "I don't see myself going anywhere else. I see myself as a Bill next year."

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, in a sense of: “a slightly above replacement level guard indicated there may be news with regard to his looming contract situation only to post something non-sensical thus making a fan base that wasn’t convinced he was worth paying hate him.” 

yep. 😛

Also, still less of a troll than the weathermen who shut down the entire city of Louisville with predictions of 8-12” of snow only for 1” of sleet to show up. 

I don't know, it was pretty funny.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:12 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

My bold prediction is Morse is cut.  Feliciano moves to center.

We sign at least one guard in FA/or draft one high that's starting material, I would think probably a bigger body guard.  Ford/Boettger/FA/Draft pick battle for two starting spots.

Agree on Morse.  I brought it up last offseason as a probability this season or next.  He has had major concussion issues and is overpaid even when healthy.  I get why the Bills paid him what they did when they did (it’s what they had to do), but cutting him before his deal is up would be the typical progression of that tactic.  The concussion issue was a known risk and it has worsened, which is almost certainly accelerating the process.  It’s a shame but it is what it is. 

On 2/15/2021 at 5:58 PM, BarleyNY said:

Agree on Morse.  I brought it up last offseason as a probability this season or next.  He has had major concussion issues and is overpaid even when healthy.  I get why the Bills paid him what they did when they did (it’s what they had to do), but cutting him before his deal is up would be the typical progression of that tactic.  The concussion issue was a known risk and it has worsened, which is almost certainly accelerating the process.  It’s a shame but it is what it is. 

I think they attempt to restructure Mitch. He is still one of the top pass blocking centers in the league and a decent run blocker. Mitch also anchors the communication and does the little leadership things a center is expected to do. 

Mongo as center is not tragic but I think while there is a gain in run blocking there is a significant loss in pass blocking and leadership. Plus if you cut Mitch and move Mongo over you have a hole at one of the guard positions. 

I agree you have to attempt to rework Mitch's contract as his cap number is not manageable but he still has value to the team and at a lower cap number is worth the risk of injury. 

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they attempt to restructure Mitch. He is still one of the top pass blocking centers in the league and a decent run blocker. Mitch also anchors the communication and does the little leadership things a center is expected to do. 

Mongo as center is not tragic but I think while there is a gain in run blocking there is a significant loss in pass blocking and leadership. Plus if you cut Mitch and move Mongo over you have a hole at one of the guard positions. 

I agree you have to attempt to rework Mitch's contract as his cap number is not manageable but he still has value to the team and at a lower cap number is worth the risk of injury. 

I’d be good with a rework.  That might be the better option.  I guess it only depends on how worried they are about the concussion issue moving forward. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Seems like a great teammate... but he’s an average at best starting lineman. I’d love him for depth purposes, really don’t want him starting anywhere on the line next season. 

This is one of those rare moments where I totally agree with Scott.

The coaching staff seems to love him for his leadership and demeanor, which....ok, fine. Purely as a player, though? I don't think he was particularly good last year. I'd much rather they put the money toward re-signing Daryl Williams than Feliciano. He played better AND plays a more important position.

Unfortunately, due to the love the front office has for Mongo and his apparent desire to re-sign here, I'm guessing he's locked in as one of the starting five in 2021 and beyond.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

This is one of those rare moments where I totally agree with Scott.

The coaching staff seems to love him for his leadership and demeanor, which....ok, fine. Purely as a player, though? I don't think he was particularly good last year. I'd much rather they put the money toward re-signing Daryl Williams than Feliciano. He played better AND plays a more important position.

Unfortunately, due to the love the front office has for Mongo and his apparent desire to re-sign here, I'm guessing he's locked in as one of the starting five in 2021 and beyond.

With the projected money that Feliciano is supposed to get, he's not getting that amount without it being based on performance.  

McDermott has no problem benching someone that isn't performing.  If Feliciano wasn't producing, he wouldn't have been out there.

If they re-sign him, he will start. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He was starting because they didn’t have better options behind him.... and I don’t necessarily agree with your “if he wasn’t producing he wouldn’t have been out there” comment. They started Winters a ***** ton of games and he was god awful. Finally he was benched later in the season. 

Agreed.

Coaches are not infallible. Just because a coach or team likes a player doesn’t mean they are always correct. Winters is a great example.

As I said before, the coaches have indicated that Feliciano sets a tone and an example with his nastiness and toughness. That’s great. As far as being a highly effective offensive guard, though? I dunno. I didn’t see it this year.

Maybe in a year where the Bills weren’t pinching pennies I wouldn’t mind. But given that every spare dime counts this year and that the o-line and running game needs improvement, I’m just not too wild about re-signing what seems to be a pretty average guard.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

He was starting because they didn’t have better options behind him.... and I don’t necessarily agree with your “if he wasn’t producing he wouldn’t have been out there” comment. They started Winters a ***** ton of games and he was god awful. Finally he was benched later in the season. 

I hope they don’t pay him because they need to get better inside.... and I don’t think the addition of a healthy Ford does much of anything. 

They sat Morse when healthy lol.  Yeah, Winters was also benched.  Spain was also benched.  He will move people around if he has to.  Ryan Bates offers flexibility as well.

He's not a star or anything but he's going to get a decent contract.  The way you're talking, he should get league minimum.

But you usually are very hard on Bills players....like you saying Zack Moss is an UDFA level player.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

Coaches are not infallible. Just because a coach or team likes a player doesn’t mean they are always correct. Winters is a great example.

As I said before, the coaches have indicated that Feliciano sets a tone and an example with his nastiness and toughness. That’s great. As far as being a highly effective offensive guard, though? I dunno. I didn’t see it this year.

Maybe in a year where the Bills weren’t pinching pennies I wouldn’t mind. But given that every spare dime counts this year and that the o-line and running game needs improvement, I’m just not too wild about re-signing what seems to be a pretty average guard.

Coaches aren't infallible but you're suggesting they don't have enough sense to understand the player needs to perform.

"Well he's not very good when he plays and hurts us on the field...but he's tough so lets pay him a nice contract". 

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd rather use my limited resources elsewhere then resign a limited OG who was abused at times last season. 

Well if he's as bad as you say he is, then we won't resign him and he will probably get back up money somewhere in the range of what Ike Boettger would make on the open market.  Scott, if you see it on the broadcast view then every GM/scout will see him getting abused on film when they specifically study him.