Kyle Juszczyk was set to sign with Buffalo in 2017. We got Patrick DiMarco instead.

chongli

9 hours ago, chongli said:

[I searched and did not find this topic anywhere here. Please delete or merge if posted already.]

Ugh. Why does this stuff happen? He was a multi-time Pro Bowler.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-juszczyks-hilarious-reason-signed-013412205.html

Excerpt:

"It seemed all but sure Juszczyk was headed to the Buffalo Bills in 2017 after spending his first four years with the Baltimore Ravens. However, Kristin, who was Juszczyk's girlfriend at the time, was in tears the night before he was set to sign because she did not want to live in Buffalo.

So, what did Juszczyk do? He did what any good boyfriend would do, and tried to find a compromise.

"The next day, I told my agent, 'Hey, if you can get San Francisco to just match [Buffalo's] offer, I'm there,'" Juszczyk said. "So, he came to them with that, and they did it.""

I suspect that if the history behind the much-maligned Carolina Connection were understood, it would include that while Beane and McDermott were striving to build Buffalo into a contender, their choice of FA was often quite limited.  Having a prior history with McDermott as a coach sometimes swung the deal on their 2nd or 3rd choice.

If we have another season as or more successful next year, that will change.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Tyson Clabo comes to mind.

Bobby Ross years ago as head coach also, he went to Chargers instead.  Pretty sure the wifey was right on that one... easy choice that one.   

Frankly, if you were a single rock star pro athlete  with no ties to WNY, making millions per year, all things being equal, why would you consciously choose WNY over any west coast or southern team??  Answer: 9 times out of 10 you would not.   

The Bills being good now changes the calculus for sure, but the Bills needing to overpay-for-FA phenomenon will always be an issue to contend with, unless the player is a family guy or has ties to the area or both.   Do you think Daboll would have come if he had no ties to the area and had other identical offers?   Don't think so... 

• Vomit 1

19 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Bobby Ross years ago as head coach also, he went to Chargers instead.  Pretty sure the wifey was right on that one... easy choice that one.   

Frankly, if you were a single rock star pro athlete  with no ties to WNY, making millions per year, all things being equal, why would you consciously choose WNY over any west coast or southern team??  Answer: 9 times out of 10 you would not.   

The Bills being good now changes the calculus for sure, but the Bills needing to overpay-for-FA phenomenon will always be an issue to contend with, unless the player is a family guy or has ties to the area or both.   Do you think Daboll would have come if he had no ties to the area and had other identical offers?   Don't think so... 

The coach's wife that hated Buffalo schools was Marvin Lewis. As seemed like it was all bit certain he'd come here with Tom Donahue as GM because of their ties to Pittsburgh. Yet his wife squabbled and we chose to hire Gregg Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, chongli said:

[I searched and did not find this topic anywhere here. Please delete or merge if posted already.]

Ugh. Why does this stuff happen? He was a multi-time Pro Bowler.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-juszczyks-hilarious-reason-signed-013412205.html

Excerpt:

"It seemed all but sure Juszczyk was headed to the Buffalo Bills in 2017 after spending his first four years with the Baltimore Ravens. However, Kristin, who was Juszczyk's girlfriend at the time, was in tears the night before he was set to sign because she did not want to live in Buffalo.

So, what did Juszczyk do? He did what any good boyfriend would do, and tried to find a compromise.

"The next day, I told my agent, 'Hey, if you can get San Francisco to just match [Buffalo's] offer, I'm there,'" Juszczyk said. "So, he came to them with that, and they did it.""

Good for him.  

This just in ....  We are not going to get every player we pursue. 

16 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The coach's wife that hated Buffalo schools was Marvin Lewis. As seemed like it was all bit certain he'd come here with Tom Donahue as GM because of their ties to Pittsburgh. Yet his wife squabbled and we chose to hire Gregg Williams.

Mike Shanahan's wife wouldn't come here either.

I also seem to remember from my childhood in the 80s that Andre Reed's wife was very unhappy here and almost caused him to leave in Free Agency.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Guess it doesn't compare to the world renowned architecture in Buffalo. People laugh when I say that but they don't laugh so much after reading how it has been pumped up by the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Washington Post, Toronto Sun and the architecture tours that are exceptionally popular with out of town visitors.

Sad that most people don't know how amazing the architecture in Buffalo really is and how it is among the best in the country. Buffalo was the richest city per capita in 1900 in the US and those rich people brought in a lot of famous people to build stuff here.

Heh- I wasn't propping SF over Buffalo, more talking about the character things that had been forced out of business or disappeared during the tech takeover- I can totally see how you read it the way you did though.  My bad.