Available players released from other teams

YoloinOhio

Like how the Bills sit and watch and teams purge talent other teams desperate to spend on FAs over pay and the result will be talented guys who are bargains.  Expect the team will pick up several players to fill targeted spots.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Like how the Bills sit and watch and teams purge talent other teams desperate to spend on FAs over pay and the result will be talented guys who are bargains.  Expect the team will pick up several players to fill targeted spots.

Yep just a little patience is needed then again most fans are impulse buyers that want the newest shiny thing off the rack it happens read other teams message boards this one is actually pretty tame 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 2/15/2021 at 1:57 PM, NewEra said:

Those 3 guys you mentioned are grossly overpaid.  Sure, he could get paid, but he might not.  The salary cap is taking a hit this offseason and he’s coming off of a season where he missed half the year + there are a LOT of free agent wrs this offseason. 

I agree, he’s better than a 5-6M player, but he’s not worth 9M on the bills this season and will likely be looking for a new team if he doesn’t take a pay cut. Many players have taken less to stay with the team they love playing for.  The cap should see a nice increase following next season and he might be best suited signing a one year deal in the system he knows and loves in order to have a good season and be a free agent next year in a cap rich offseason.

agree to disagree. We’ll see how it plays out.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People are making too much of the "pandemic plagued salary cap".   

With a currently projected $180.5M cap, 20 teams have some cap space, before they start cutting players and re-negotiating.  11 teams have more than $20M of cap space. 

TY Hilton on the Colts pulled in a similar # of receptions for a similar # of YPG and got paid $14.5M for it.  He was the best WR on the Colts.  He's a FA.  So is Zach Pascal who was their #2 guy.  The Colts with their $69M in cap space might not think paying Brown $8M for similar productivity to what they just paid Hilton $14.5M isn't a bargain? 

Washington Football Team has Terry McLaurin and no one at WR.  Think they wouldn't like a reliable #2 WR and might pay Brown $8M for the hope of another 1000 yd season?  They've got $39M of cap.

etc

I repeat, this is a business.  No matter how much Brown likes the team and likes playing here, he's not "taking one for the team" salary cap wise and putting the team above whatever financial plans and security he wants for his family and his kids, not until he's shown to have no alternative.

He might renegotiate and sign an extension that would pay him as much just spread around differently.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:58 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't project disagreement and concrete examples into "act like my answer is ridiculous", K?  Every player in the league gets paid based on previous production.  One could equally say to you, don't act like it's ridiculous to think a team won't pay Brown his current salary or more if he's cut.

You're claiming "I don’t see him getting 8-9 mill with pandemic plagued salary cap offseason."

I'm pointing out that too much is made of this as a lot of teams still have ample cap space available.

Could you give some example of these "many football players in the past" who have taken less money to stay where they want to play?

Because, as Spotrac pointed out, 99% of renegotiations do not involve a paycut.

Had this bookmarked for when JB was cut and resigned. 

As it turns out, we had a handful of players take pay cuts/give hometown discounts within a matter of weeks.  

And brown wasn’t even worth 4M on the open market.  

This is exactly why he should’ve taken a pay cut to stay with the Bills.  As I see it, he wasn’t even offered to take a pay cut.  They wanted to replace him with a more precise route runner that is better at getting open.  Not that Brown isn’t a good route runner, but he couldn’t get open vs the chiefs and had a bad drop that sealed our season.  Sanders’ specialty is route running, reading the zones and he has great hands.

I feel that we got the better player for less money.  Meanwhile the market for Brown was even less than I had anticipated. I feel bad for smoke. He was one of my favorite players.....but he wasn’t worth the money and was replaceable 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Had this bookmarked for when JB was cut and resigned. 

As it turns out, we had a handful of players take pay cuts/give hometown discounts within a matter of weeks.  

And brown wasn’t even worth 4M on the open market.  

This is exactly why he should’ve taken a pay cut to stay with the Bills.  As I see it, he wasn’t even offered to take a pay cut.  They wanted to replace him with a more precise route runner that is better at getting open.  Not that Brown isn’t a good route runner, but he couldn’t get open vs the chiefs and had a bad drop that sealed our season.  Sanders’ specialty is route running, reading the zones and he has great hands.

I feel that we got the better player for less money.  Meanwhile the market for Brown was even less than I had anticipated. I feel bad for smoke. He was one of my favorite players.....but he wasn’t worth the money and was replaceable 

I agree with this bolded - I've said elsewhere that I don't think Brown was offered a paycut and I think that was behind his "cry from the heart" about being taken by surprise and did Josh Allen have input.  He wasn't offered the opportunity to take a pay cut and stay on the team, the Bills had decided to move on.

The market for Brown was less than I anticipated, too.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Started this offseason wishing for Carl Lawson and Hunter Henry. Now just wishing for Carlos Dunlap and Cordarrelle Patterson

Dunlap or Justin Houston could really hell out pass rush.  

While Patterson would be a versatile weapon, the guy I think would help a ton is Kyle Rudolph.  Solid receiver and a VERY good blocker.  He and knox would be a nice combo imo and change how defenses attack us.  He would immediately help out in the run game and is no slouch as a receiver. 

if we get Ertz, I’d be happy too, but considering our lack of change along the OL, I feel a TE that is a beast run blocker (and solid as a receiver) is best bang for our buck.  

rudolph AND patterson would be even better 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dunlap or Justin Houston could really hell out pass rush.  

While Patterson would be a versatile weapon, the guy I think would help a ton is Kyle Rudolph.  Solid receiver and a VERY good blocker.  He and knox would be a nice combo imo and change how defenses attack us.  He would immediately help out in the run game and is no slouch as a receiver. 

if we get Ertz, I’d be happy too, but considering our lack of change along the OL, I feel a TE that is a beast run blocker (and solid as a receiver) is best bang for our buck.  

rudolph AND patterson would be even better 

Agreed, my list wasn't exhaustive, I'd be happy with Rudolph, but if I'm not mistaken I thought he had shaded Buffalo in the past

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

Agreed, my list wasn't exhaustive, I'd be happy with Rudolph, but if I'm not mistaken I thought he had shaded Buffalo in the past

Ugh.  Didn’t know that.  Was hoping he had a good relationship with Diggs and that could he’ll the cause.  He can hope!! 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Ugh.  Didn’t know that.  Was hoping he had a good relationship with Diggs and that could he’ll the cause.  He can hope!! 

I may be wrong, couldn't find the comments when I searched. I do know he made some comments this offseason that sounded like a veiled shot at Diggs though. 

31 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I’m not sure if by “shaded” you meant refused to sign with them. But that happened with John Brown and Emmanuel Sanders as well.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’m not sure if by “shaded” you meant refused to sign with them. But that happened with John Brown and Emmanuel Sanders as well.

Not what I was referring to. I thought I remembered him taking shots at the city of Buffalo, but I can't find the interview so I withdrew the comment. I don't have a problem with people who don't take an offer we send them

This is perhaps cheating, since it hasn't happened yet, but this would really interest me. Candidly, I'm 1,000,000% biased, but I think Marcus would do well in this offense and think he's got a lot of good football still to play. Backup QB has to be somewhat of a priority with the way and frequency that Josh runs.

EDIT: Just signed Trubisky. Damn, scratch that...

Edited by glazeduck
  • Vomit 1