Available players released from other teams

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Crazy that the NFL allowed this to happen. Some of the richest people in the world cant handle a single year with no attendance without cutting the salary cap. And now the product will suffer because of it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Colts and Browns are going to be a problem. They have a ton of cap space and will be able to load up in FA. There will be so many good players available. 

Hopefully more players will be willing to take short deals and the Bills can take advantage of that. 

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Crazy that the NFL allowed this to happen. Some of the richest people in the world cant handle a single year with no attendance without cutting the salary cap. And now the product will suffer because of it.

It's ridiculous to me how people refuse to be thankful for their own blessings. 

Instead, they look with envy and hatred at anyone with more.

Low income Americans with cellphones, high speed Internet, two vehicles and a nice house consider themselves poor, despite having more than 75% of the world.  The Middle Class with everything they could ever need, complain that athletes are making millions for playing a game.  Pro athletes who are making millions of dollars per year, think the owners are selfish for not wanting to cough up more of their profits.  

The NFL Players Association signed a very generous contract, making the salary cap dependent on revenue around the league.  If the owners are taking a hit from the lack of attendance, then the players take a hit too.  End of story.  

The vets who get cut can always sign for less.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Process said:

Colts and Browns are going to be a problem. They have a ton of cap space and will be able to load up in FA. There will be so many good players available. 

Hopefully more players will be willing to take short deals and the Bills can take advantage of that. 

Both are playoff teams also.

We need to be smart about who and where we offer players.............as you suggest.

16 minutes ago, Process said:

You wonder though if those teams will really get much of a competitive advantage. On a whole, with all the cuts and all the teams limited by cap space, my basic knowledge of economics suggests that contract prices will be low (high supply; low demand = low prices).  So, other than maybe a few premium FA's, you wonder if the market will be so depressed that there won't be much of a competitive disadvantage.

It will be interesting to see the flood of players on the market-- makes me hopeful that we will re-sign Milano. 

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If Star comes back, do we need another NT? I'm fine with Star and Zimmer and Phillips at that position next year. I'd rather not trade for someone in the last year of his deal, even a late round pick. JMO

Zimmer cannot play the 1 tech. 

it would be Star and Phillips. 

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

The NFL Players Association signed a very generous contract, making the salary cap dependent on revenue around the league.  If the owners are taking a hit from the lack of attendance, then the players take a hit too.  End of story.  

I completely disagree. The NFL isn't a profit sharing organization. The owners make the profit and the players are their employees. The coaches and executives and other employees won't be impacted, just the players. More to the point if teams have to release quality players it means the product will be worse and there will be a bunch of 1-year deals which will hinder long term development. It isn't a good look for the NFL no matter how you cut it.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I completely disagree. The NFL isn't a profit sharing organization. The owners make the profit and the players are their employees. The coaches and executives and other employees won't be impacted, just the players. More to the point if teams have to release quality players it means the product will be worse and there will be a bunch of 1-year deals which will hinder long term development. It isn't a good look for the NFL no matter how you cut it.

Well, there are holes here.

First, it does have some elements of profit sharing. The cap floor is a product of this, as well as the cap in general. Thus passing on profits of the league to players as a result of the CBA.  Then of course, NFL does share profits amoung owners, so its not the total truth.

The crisis is not a reduced cap, the reduced cap is a by product of the crisis.

Owners own finances/ assets/ empires may have been hit, and they may have less liquid cash on hand to even pay players. 

A lot of people were affected by huge losses in 2020. Ratings were down, bars closed, ticket sales got hit, along with all the economy of game day that boils down to hot dog sellers, security, to hotels and a hundred other aspects.

Lastly, the budget crunch / low cap will likely reduce the amount of 1 year deals, which are harder on the cap. I think most 1 year deals become 2-3 year deals with easy out clauses and little guaranteed money. 3 year deals that are funtionally 1 year deals, the likes of which we've seen before.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You do know that a certain percent of the revenues goes to player salaries per the CBA?  and that number is around 50%.  Now there are loopholes and exceptions to some of that revenue, but the vast majority of all revenue is counted.

Also, the owners have been trying to get the cap higher by 'stealing' from future years revenues so the hit this year won't be has bad.  That's why is is UP to 180 MIL and not even lower.

This is also why the NFL is trying to get the new TV deals done now, (for more money in their pockets), but to also bring in additional revenue for the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I dont think its crazy at all.  Its actually pretty logical, even rich people dont like putting money in a toilet and flushing it.   I dont see how the product suffers? They will still employ professional football players.  It's not like they are looking to replace the cuts with a bunch of guys they find at Tim Hortons.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So how do you think it should work?  The NFLPA didn't like a system where the salary cap was arbitrary, and each increase had to be bargained.  They agreed to a system where the salary cap is tied to the NFL's revenue for that league year - 48% of it IIRC.

If the cap actually went down to the extent that revenue did across the league, it would be $160M or something like that, I read.  So the NFL and owners came to an agreement where they put more than that into the cap than that.

But it's the flip side of tying the salary cap into league revenue so that "a rising tide lifts all boats"