Available players released from other teams

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You bring up good points Hap and that is true for most typical years but the truth is that this coming year there is going to

be only half of the money available chasing the same amount of free agents.  Actually because of other teams in cap trouble

it will probably be more free agent then ever.  A number of those 11 teams also need to sign a bunch of their own FAs too.

Those teams left that are looking for an OLB AND HAVE THE MONEY will be chasing bigger names than Milano to begin with.

Here are the OLBs on the market right now.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/outside-linebacker/

I don't think Milano gets the money he is looking for IMO.

Also valid points, @ColoradoBills

Two counterpoints:

1) I expect a lot of those guys aren't going anywhere (Judon, Lavonte David).  If they are, Sign Me Up.  Guy with 8/9 seasons over 100 tackles and double digit TFL?  Lavonte David over Milano every day of the week and 2x on Sunday, please.

2) Just like they say "it's a matchup league", it's a matchup game in FA.  A lot of those guys are Edge types, rather than the mix of run D and coverage LB Milano has developed himself into.  So it's not accurate to picture Milano as competing against that whole list.

I personally feel the Wawrow story came out as agent-driven.  I think Milano has been told the Bills aren't going to be able to pay him what he wants, which would be along the lines of the market value Spotrac gives him of 3 years, $41.5M or $13.8M/yr and that he has some interest, but nothing as definite as he'd like.  So he's putting himself out there as available and as "just an innocent victim of Cap Circumstance here, nothing to see in my injury history that should put you off".

Like I said, Milano only needs 1-2 teams where his skills, their needs, and their cap space overlap

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Also valid points, @ColoradoBills

Two counterpoints:

1) I expect a lot of those guys aren't going anywhere (Judon, Lavonte David).  If they are, Sign Me Up.  Guy with 8/9 seasons over 100 tackles and double digit TFL?  Lavonte David over Milano every day of the week and 2x on Sunday, please.

2) Just like they say "it's a matchup league", it's a matchup game in FA.  A lot of those guys are Edge types, rather than the mix of run D and coverage LB Milano has developed himself into.  So it's not accurate to picture Milano as competing against that whole list.

I personally feel the Wawrow story came out as agent-driven.  I think Milano has been told the Bills aren't going to be able to pay him what he wants, which would be along the lines of the market value Spotrac gives him of 3 years, $41.5M or $13.8M/yr and that he has some interest, but nothing as definite as he'd like.  So he's putting himself out there as available and as "just an innocent victim of Cap Circumstance here, nothing to see in my injury history that should put you off".

Good counterpoints that I will comment on.

1.  Yes some of these OLBs (or any other position to my point) will be signed by their original team.  Every time that happens the potential

cap pool diminishes.  If the Raven re-sign Judon it's also another team not looking to sign a high dollar Milano too.

Right now the Cowboys have 27M in cap space but as soon as they sign Dak that is gone.

Pittsburg will have a hard time signing JuJu and Dupree so Bud Dupree could be a big target.

2.  Totally agree with the "fit" point.  It's just a lot less teams with money looking to be that "fit" for a guy like Milano.

If there is one he will be gone.  If not he may be back for a one year deal.

Spotrac has the average cap space for each team in the league at $15M with a $185M cap.

If that is increased to $190M that an average of $20M per team average.

20M X 32 = $640M in total cap out there.

If things were normal the cap would be $209M this year.  But I just figured $190M.

That's a 19M deficit.

19M X 32 = $608M less than normal.

That where I get only about half the amount of cap space chasing Free Agents.

Things will get interesting if these numbers become reality! 

On 2/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Hardly. He cut guys and created a cap disaster then overspent on several free agents. He did well with several like Williams, Beasley, Feliciano, and Brown but really overspent on the likes of Murphy, Morse, Butler, Kleine, Jefferson, and Addison. Basically he is your average GM that got a franchise QB in Allen. If the Browns or Jets had taken Allen he would have traded up for Rosen.

This can be said about every single GM.  They have hits and misses.

He built a roster that went 13-3 and one step away from the Super Bowl.  He didn’t “get” a franchise QB, he traded up for one that was a huge project.  The Pats got a franchise QB in Brady because he was just sitting there in the 6th round....we moved up to the top 10 to get ours!  

I think its pretty obvious based on Rosen’s personality that he’s not a McDermott guy at all.  If the Jets or Browns take Allen, you that means Darnold or Baker would be available.  You’re only choosing Rosen because he was a bust and want to be negative about Beane.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This can be said about every single GM.  They have hits and misses.

He built a roster that went 13-3 and one step away from the Super Bowl.  He didn’t “get” a franchise QB, he traded up for one that was a huge project.  The Pats got a franchise QB in Brady because he was just sitting there in the 6th round....we moved up to the top 10 to get ours!  

I think its pretty obvious based on Rosen’s personality that he’s not a McDermott guy at all.  If the Jets or Browns take Allen, you that means Darnold or Baker would be available.  You’re only choosing Rosen because he was a bust and want to be negative about Beane.

I'm not sure where it was said that the Bills liked Rosen, much less would have traded-up for him.  And if the Browns hadn't taken Baker, they likely would have taken Josh and the Jets likely would still have taken Darnold, leaving Mayfield for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm not sure where it was said that the Bills liked Rosen, much less would have traded-up for him.  And if the Browns hadn't taken Baker, they likely would have taken Josh and the Jets likely would still have taken Darnold, leaving Mayfield for the Bills. 

I’m pretty sure they didn’t have either Rosen or mayfield on their board per reports after the draft

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kirksey is best friends with Hyde?  How do you know?

College teammates. Friends. This was all talked about last offseason. I think Kirksey turned us down for Green Bay though. Reminds me of John Brown turning us down for Baltimore only to sign with Buffalo the following year. 

Kirksey can replace Milano for at least a year. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

College teammates. Friends. This was all talked about last offseason. I think Kirksey turned us down for Green Bay though. Reminds me of John Brown turning us down for Baltimore only to sign with Buffalo the following year. 

Kirksey can replace Milano for at least a year. 

But that injury history....

What does Kirksey bring here that Klein (already signed) does not?

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Athleticism. Every player is a play away from injury. For the price the risk is minor. 

It's true that every player is a "play away from injury", but:

-It's just been reported he was released with a "failed physical" designation: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/christian-kirksey-failed-physical-designation/

-He missed 5 games this season with a pec injury, then after returning to 100% of the snaps, saw decreased playing time either losing snaps to rookies, or on a snap count.

-This is after he was placed on season ending IR by the Browns 2 games into the 2019 season with a torn pec that required surgery.

-In 2018 he missed 9 games, 8 at the end of the season, with a hamstring injury

Those don't sound like "every player a play away", certainly the pec sounds like a potential ongoing concern.

Then there's the point that for most of his career in Cleveland, he played ILB and I think that's where he played with GB.  The position that needs filling here is OLB...

I think we need a serious attempt to upgrade our LB play, not another downhill-slide player we overpay as a FA.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's true that every player is a "play away from injury", but:

-It's just been reported he was released with a "failed physical" designation: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/christian-kirksey-failed-physical-designation/

-He missed 5 games this season with a pec injury, then after returning to 100% of the snaps, saw decreased playing time either losing snaps to rookies, or on a snap count.

-This is after he was placed on season ending IR by the Browns 2 games into the 2019 season with a torn pec that required surgery.

-In 2018 he missed 9 games, 8 at the end of the season, with a hamstring injury

Those don't sound like "every player a play away", certainly the pec sounds like a potential ongoing concern.

Then there's the point that for most of his career in Cleveland, he played ILB and I think that's where he played with GB.  The position that needs filling here is OLB...

I think we need a serious attempt to upgrade our LB play, not another downhill-slide player we overpay as a FA.

I know his injury history. Bills need to worry about upgrading the OL, DL, and CB. Find a plug at weak side LB for the year. 

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know his injury history. Bills need to worry about upgrading the OL, DL, and CB. Find a plug at weak side LB for the year. 

I think they did.  His name is AJ Klein, and he started 11 games for the Bills this year, of which we won 9. 

He's already on the roster, counted against the cap, and familiar with the defensive system.  And rumor has it Darron Lee has an offer sheet from the Bills.

No need to spend more cap dollars on an older vet linebacker with a problematic injury history, even if he was more athletic once upon a time.

We need to draft a LB though.

I like what I saw of Dane Jackson at CB this year and it sounds as though Beane did too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they did.  His name is AJ Klein, and he started 11 games for the Bills this year, of which we won 9. 

He's already on the roster, counted against the cap, and familiar with the defensive system.  And rumor has it Darron Lee has an offer sheet from the Bills.

No need to spend more cap dollars on an older vet linebacker with a problematic injury history, even if he was more athletic once upon a time.

We need to draft a LB though.

I like what I saw of Dane Jackson at CB this year and it sounds as though Beane did too.

Basically I'm fine with everything you said. This year we must go cheap at weak side LB. We might not find a suitable replacement this offseason. McDermott will make it work though. Improve DL and CB and we'll be OK this year. 

Dane Jackson was good in a small sample. I also feel we could say the same of possible Milano replacement Dodson.