Available players released from other teams

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Didn’t they talk to Kirk last year?

I think he visited for like 2 days before signing elsewhere 

Yeah. Only issue I see is they signed Klein. So maybe they see them as similar players. Kirksey has been a 3 down LB in the league though. I also feel he's an upgrade to Klein. 

Just now, That's No Moon said:

And they are super pissed with their defense and changing coordinators, no?

Pettine is a bone head play caller at times. Kirksey was Pettine's guy. 

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I say no to Kirksey...didnt he turn down an offer sheet? We have Klein and he's been released by 2 teams now. I say draft a guy or shoot for a bit better. He wont improve our D.

I think he was cut and bills offered/he visited  but he chose GB

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

And they are super pissed with their defense and changing coordinators, no?

Pettine fired and they hired Joe barry

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he was cut and bills offered/he visited  but he chose GB

Pettine fired and they hired Joe barry

...hey Kirksey missed 5 games this last year alone on a 2 year 16 million dollar deal. He played well, but can't stay healthy. Same reason he was cut by Browns. 

I'd bring him in for a peanut type deal...but mostly would not plan around him. He's not the kinda guy you count on. 

• Agree 2

On 2/18/2021 at 4:48 PM, Seoulofstone said:

So this is an interesting article, projecting possible upcoming NFC cuts by Greg Rosenthal.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfc-cut-candidates-viable-releases-and-potential-surprises

The name that pops here, (especially if Watt goes elsewhere) is Chandler Jones. Definitely a guy that the Bills might want to take a look at.

The Cap space thing reminds me of an Elvis Costello song

Why don't you tell me 'bout the mystery dance?
           I want to know about the mystery dance  . . . .

'Cause I've tried and I've tried
              And I'm still mystified

I can't do it anymore and I'm not satisfied

Admittedly, I do not understand the Cap thing, other than it limits how much money any team can spend, and sometimes you have to cut high-paid players or let them walk to stay under it.

But it seems to me, that guys like Milano who are entering Free Agency this year are not going to have too many options. The general message is, teams have little room to resign or bid for free agents.

Where are all these released and FA players going to play? A guess a few teams with the cap space will have a chance to get real good real fast. And many players are about to be really disappointed, or short sell on undervalued one-year contracts, or start looking for gainful employment out of the NFL.

Like I said: " Cause I've tried and I've tried, And I'm still mystified"

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

The Cap space thing reminds me of an Elvis Costello song

Elvis Costello!  SNL!  Radio, Radio!

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

But it seems to me, that guys like Milano who are entering Free Agency this year are not going to have too many options. The general message is, teams have little room to resign or bid for free agents.

Where are all these released and FA players going to play? A guess a few teams with the cap space will have a chance to get real good real fast. And many players are about to be really disappointed, or short sell on undervalued one-year contracts, or start looking for gainful employment out of the NFL.

Like I said: " Cause I've tried and I've tried, And I'm still mystified"

This has come up before but is worth reprising. 

There are roughly 3 tiers of teams with regard to the cap:

1) those who have plenty of cap room, even with the lower cap

2) those who thought they'd be good, but with the lower cap are pretty much right at the cap and need to maneuver (Bills fall into this category)

3) those who are way over the cap and need to shed load

If you go here

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

You can see that 11 teams have more than $20M in free cap space.

6 teams are more than $20M in the red, "over the cap"

The idea is that guys like Milano can sign with the 11 teams who have plenty of cap room.  He only needs 1 or 2 matches between his skill set and the needs of a team with plenty of cap room to spare.

Sometimes a team makes one move that flips their cap situation; the Texans went from ~$15M in the red to having ~$5M in excess just by cutting JJ Watt

The most common way a team tries to change their cap situation is by renegotiating contracts. Spotrac says that 99% of the time, these are not asking the player to take a cut.  Most of the time, they take a player's high salary and convert all but league minimum to a signing bonus that can be divided (amortized) evenly across the remaining years of the contract.  They can also play other tricks like adding a voidable year or converting part of it to a roster bonus the following season and offering larger guarantees to ensure the player will get that money.

Some people call this "kicking the Salary Cap can down the road".  

Hope this helps

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

...hey Kirksey missed 5 games this last year alone on a 2 year 16 million dollar deal. He played well, but can't stay healthy. Same reason he was cut by Browns. 

I'd bring him in for a peanut type deal...but mostly would not plan around him. He's not the kinda guy you count on. 

He was outplayed and basically lost his starting spot while injured as well. Barnes and Martin played well enough to make him a cap casualty. 

The Wagner release is a bit stranger to me. He played well at RT all season, and OT is a lot harder and more expensive to replace. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

He was outplayed and basically lost his starting spot while injured as well. Barnes and Martin played well enough to make him a cap casualty. 

The Wagner release is a bit stranger to me. He played well at RT all season, and OT is a lot harder and more expensive to replace. 

Yeah Wagner gotta be all cap related I would think. Hopefully that gets us a little leverage with Williams 😆

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

You can see that 11 teams have more than $20M in free cap space.

6 teams are more than $20M in the red, "over the cap"

The idea is that guys like Milano can sign with the 11 teams who have plenty of cap room.  He only needs 1 or 2 matches between his skill set and the needs of a team with plenty of cap room to spare.

You bring up good points Hap and that is true for most typical years but the truth is that this coming year there is going to

be only half of the money available chasing the same amount of free agents.  Actually because of other teams in cap trouble

it will probably be more free agent then ever.  A number of those 11 teams also need to sign a bunch of their own FAs too.

Those teams left that are looking for an OLB AND HAVE THE MONEY will be chasing bigger names than Milano to begin with.

Here are the OLBs on the market right now.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/outside-linebacker/

I don't think Milano gets the money he is looking for IMO.

• Agree 1