Available players released from other teams

YoloinOhio

On 2/11/2021 at 4:36 PM, whatdrought said:

Tyrell Williams wouldn’t be a horrible John Brown replacement for like 4m. Different kind of player, but still could be nice in this offense. 

You think if JB would play here for that contract ? If so why not keep him you think ??? 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I think he will restructure/take a cut and be in that ball park. That’s the preference.

I am not sure how much less we can pay the guy though.  He is already 33rd at his position for pay. 

I honestly think his current pay is just a tiny bit under what his overall worth is.    He had a down injury ridden year, but he is not that far off of his best season in the NFL.  

• Vomit 1

20 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Do you forget?...Beane is a wizard!!

Hardly. He cut guys and created a cap disaster then overspent on several free agents. He did well with several like Williams, Beasley, Feliciano, and Brown but really overspent on the likes of Murphy, Morse, Butler, Kleine, Jefferson, and Addison. Basically he is your average GM that got a franchise QB in Allen. If the Browns or Jets had taken Allen he would have traded up for Rosen.

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Sign Watt, Kerrigan and Get Kuechly out of retirement.

Kuechly was great largely because of his speed but the last time I saw him play he had definitely lost a step from his peak. I don't think he will be a big upgrade at LB even as a rotation guy.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Kuechly was great largely because of his speed but the last time I saw him play he had definitely lost a step from his peak. I don't think he will be a big upgrade at LB even as a rotation guy.

I think he'd be a major upgrade... his instincts alone never have him in the wrong place. If he can be the 1st to the ball Edmunds can eventually make his way to help mop up.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not sure how much less we can pay the guy though.  He is already 33rd at his position for pay. 

I honestly think his current pay is just a tiny bit under what his overall worth is.    He had a down injury ridden year, but he is not that far off of his best season in the NFL.  

Little chance John Brown gets 9M this offseason imo.  Missing 8 games and being erased by a middling cornerback in the AFCCG doesn't’ help his cause. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

there are too many other options out there. 

if I were him, I’d probably accept 5-6M a year contract to return to the bills 

33 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I think he'd be a major upgrade... his instincts alone never have him in the wrong place. If he can be the 1st to the ball Edmunds can eventually make his way to help mop up.

Cmon man......

he’s retired.  He retired because his brain was getting scrambled.  Why must we continue to push for this in multiple posts?  Did he say that he was coming out of retirement?  Or are you just hoping that he changes his mind suddenly?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, NewEra said:

If he wants to stay on this team, which he obviously (imo) loves playing for, he will likely have to take a pay cut.  If he doesn’t, he rolls the dice on who he plays for and what he makes.  Playing for 7 mill on this team might be about as good as it gets for him

Then as a professional, he'll market himself elsewhere.  It's a business. 

I'm sure he'd rather be paid his current contract on the Bills or an extension that gives him the same money but distributed differently. 

Otherwise, he'll market himself and not take less unless he has to.

Why wouldn't he?

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think he will restructure/take a cut and be in that ball park. That’s the preference.

Please keep in mind that 99% of restructures are not pay cuts

Don't take my word for it

image.thumb.png.c6a9651baf3c4fc8bcbe6acaa8db1257.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Little chance John Brown gets 9M this offseason imo.  Missing 8 games and being erased by a middling cornerback in the AFCCG doesn't’ help his cause. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

there are too many other options out there. 

if I were him, I’d probably accept 5-6M a year contract to return to the bills 

I think you're grossly underestimating two things.  1.  The level of talent John Brown has and 2. What wideouts make in the league.

Here are the three wideouts who make between 5-6 million dollars a year in the NFL right now:

Willie Snead

Cordarrelle Patterson

Danny Amendola

I am sorry but I think John Brown is a far better player than those three guys.  The only player that comes close in terms of production is Amendola, and he eats from the slot, and rarely scores touchdowns.  Brown is an outside wideout who can stretch the field vertically, and scores.   Amendola was also 34 when he signed his contract. 

Brown's output is almost identical to Emmanuel Sanders, who just got 8 million a year as a free agent despite being 2 years older than Brown will be when the league year begins.    I see only two ways John Brown plays for 5-6 million this year.   He either loves Buffalo so much that he is willing to take below his market value to stay, or Buffalo adds a second year to his deal and pushes his market value to the 2nd year.   Say what you will but based on current contracts John Brown is not a 5-6 million dollar a year wideout, even with missing time this year.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then as a professional, he'll market himself elsewhere.  It's a business.  I'm sure he'd rather be paid his current contract on the Bills or an extension that gives him the same money but distributed differently.  Otherwise, he'll market himself and not take less unless he has to.

Why wouldn't he?

Sherlock, I think it might be about time to stop beating the drum for a retired linebacker. 

Could be that 4-7M+ playing with 17, 14, 11, Chad hall, Daboll, McD + playing for the Bills and Bill Mafia + Playing for a potential super bowl = happiness for him.  I don’t see him getting 8-9 mill with pandemic plagued salary cap offseason.  Take a pay cut, help the team win a super bowl with your play and taking one for the team salary cap wise.  It wouldn’t be the first time an athlete took a pay cut to stay with a team he loves

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think you're grossly underestimating two things.  1.  The level of talent John Brown has and 2. What wideouts make in the league.

Here are the three wideouts who make between 5-6 million dollars a year in the NFL right now:

Willie Snead

Cordarrelle Patterson

Danny Amendola

I am sorry but I think John Brown is a far better player than those three guys.  The only player that comes close in terms of production is Amendola, and he eats from the slot, and rarely scores touchdowns.  Brown is an outside wideout who can stretch the field vertically, and scores.   Amendola was also 34 when he signed his contract. 

Brown's output is almost identical to Emmanuel Sanders, who just got 8 million a year as a free agent despite being 2 years older than Brown will be when the league year begins.    I see only two ways John Brown plays for 5-6 million this year.   He either loves Buffalo so much that he is willing to take below his market value to stay, or Buffalo adds a second year to his deal and pushes his market value to the 2nd year.   Say what you will but based on current contracts John Brown is not a 5-6 million dollar a year wideout, even with missing time this year.

Those 3 guys you mentioned are grossly overpaid.  Sure, he could get paid, but he might not.  The salary cap is taking a hit this offseason and he’s coming off of a season where he missed half the year + there are a LOT of free agent wrs this offseason. 

I agree, he’s better than a 5-6M player, but he’s not worth 9M on the bills this season and will likely be looking for a new team if he doesn’t take a pay cut. Many players have taken less to stay with the team they love playing for.  The cap should see a nice increase following next season and he might be best suited signing a one year deal in the system he knows and loves in order to have a good season and be a free agent next year in a cap rich offseason.

agree to disagree. We’ll see how it plays out.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hardly. He cut guys and created a cap disaster then overspent on several free agents. He did well with several like Williams, Beasley, Feliciano, and Brown but really overspent on the likes of Murphy, Morse, Butler, Kleine, Jefferson, and Addison. Basically he is your average GM that got a franchise QB in Allen. If the Browns or Jets had taken Allen he would have traded up for Rosen.

Executive of the Year

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Could be that 4-7M+ playing with 17, 14, 11, Chad hall, Daboll, McD + playing for the Bills and Bill Mafia + Playing for a potential super bowl = happiness for him.  I don’t see him getting 8-9 mill with pandemic plagued salary cap offseason.  Take a pay cut, help the team win a super bowl with your play and taking one for the team salary cap wise.  It wouldn’t be the first time an athlete took a pay cut to stay with a team he loves

People are making too much of the "pandemic plagued salary cap".   

With a currently projected $180.5M cap, 20 teams have some cap space, before they start cutting players and re-negotiating.  11 teams have more than $20M of cap space. 

TY Hilton on the Colts pulled in a similar # of receptions for a similar # of YPG and got paid $14.5M for it.  He was the best WR on the Colts.  He's a FA.  So is Zach Pascal who was their #2 guy.  The Colts with their $69M in cap space might not think paying Brown $8M for similar productivity to what they just paid Hilton $14.5M isn't a bargain? 

Washington Football Team has Terry McLaurin and no one at WR.  Think they wouldn't like a reliable #2 WR and might pay Brown $8M for the hope of another 1000 yd season?  They've got $39M of cap.

etc

I repeat, this is a business.  No matter how much Brown likes the team and likes playing here, he's not "taking one for the team" salary cap wise and putting the team above whatever financial plans and security he wants for his family and his kids, not until he's shown to have no alternative.

He might renegotiate and sign an extension that would pay him as much just spread around differently.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People are making too much of the "pandemic plagued salary cap".   

With a currently projected $180.5M cap, 20 teams have some cap space, before they start cutting players and re-negotiating.  11 teams have more than $20M of cap space. 

TY Hilton on the Colts pulled in a similar # of receptions for a similar # of YPG and got paid $14.5M for it.  He was the best WR on the Colts.  He's a FA.  So is Zach Pascal who was their #2 guy.  The Colts with their $69M in cap space might not think paying Brown $8M for similar productivity to what they just paid Hilton $14.5M isn't a bargain? 

Washington Football Team has Terry McLaurin and no one at WR.  Think they wouldn't like a reliable #2 WR and might pay Brown $8M for the hope of another 1000 yd season?  They've got $39M of cap.

etc

I repeat, this is a business.  No matter how much Brown likes the team and likes playing here, he's not "taking one for the team" salary cap wise and putting the team above whatever financial plans and security he wants for his family and his kids, not until he's shown to have no alternative.

He might renegotiate and sign an extension that would pay him as much just spread around differently.

Hilton was paid that based on his previous production.....hes obviously not worth that now. 

This is a business.....and I repeat....many businessmen in the past have taken less money to stay where they want to play.  I’m not saying that will happen....you asked a question.  Don’t act like my answer is ridiculous.  We’ve seen it happen many times.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hilton was paid that based on his previous production.....hes obviously not worth that now. 

This is a business.....and I repeat....many businessmen in the past have taken less money to stay where they want to play.  I’m not saying that will happen....you asked a question.  Don’t act like my answer is ridiculous.  We’ve seen it happen many times.

Don't project disagreement and concrete examples into "act like my answer is ridiculous", K?  Every player in the league gets paid based on previous production.  One could equally say to you, don't act like it's ridiculous to think a team won't pay Brown his current salary or more if he's cut.

You're claiming "I don’t see him getting 8-9 mill with pandemic plagued salary cap offseason."

I'm pointing out that too much is made of this as a lot of teams still have ample cap space available.

Could you give some example of these "many football players in the past" who have taken less money to stay where they want to play?

Because, as Spotrac pointed out, 99% of renegotiations do not involve a paycut.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

McDermott and Beane have talked about needing more speed on the team. Cutting Brown gives you less speed, unless you find someone as quick.

I think it would be a mistake to cut him.

I do, however, think it would be good to restructure his deal. That doesn't mean he gets less, but it will mean gaining cap relief.

Tbh, it might even be worthwhile extending him. This is a pretty good WR group we have, and there's a value to continuity.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't project disagreement and concrete examples into "act like my answer is ridiculous", K?  Every player in the league gets paid based on previous production.  One could equally say to you, don't act like it's ridiculous to think a team won't pay Brown his current salary or more if he's cut.

You're claiming "I don’t see him getting 8-9 mill with pandemic plagued salary cap offseason."

I'm pointing out that too much is made of this as a lot of teams still have ample cap space available.

Could you give some example of these "many football players in the past" who have taken less money to stay where they want to play?

Because, as Spotrac pointed out, 99% of renegotiations do not involve a paycut.

I’m also point out that there are several other WRs on the market, which pushed down the price.  I also pointed out that John brown is coming off a 400 yard season....in which he was hurt half the year and got shut down by a middling corner in the afccg.  He couldn’t get separation.  

Hilton was getting paid 14:5 mill based on a 5 year monster contract he signed coming off 1345 yard season.....John Brown has never been on that level before.  

I’m not going to give you any examples of players taking less money to stay on their team.  If you don’t believe that has ever happened, throw some water on your face.....tom Brady did it for a decade. Other have too.  There is a reason that people talk about hometown discounts.....because it’s actually a thing. It doesn’t always happen....but it has happened

again....you asked a question .  I answered. My answer is 💯 plausible. 

On 2/13/2021 at 9:40 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree with the first part.  Brown would most certainly want the opportunity to market himself before accepting a pay cut.  A restructure that winds up paying him the same, sure.

probably wont happen with Bills. If they just keep at contract he is cap number of 9.5 million. If they cut him they incur dead cap of 1.6 million. Let's say Bills offer restructure at 6.5 mill a year and cap hit of less. Then if he refuses that restructure to test market and Bills cut him they incur 1.6 mill dead cap with no way of reducing that dead cap.

So lets say he test market and no one offers over 5.5 mill per year. Bill's wont take him back at 6.5 mill as he is on books then for 8.1 mill. Bills likely only would go about 4 now.

If he takes restructure he is better off unless he and agent are sure higher offers await in FA.

• Like (+1) 1