The Patrick Mahomes Super Bowl Debate

JohnNord

12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Everything you said is irrefutable, but I believe he was asking if the media was using every excuse to not admit he had a bad game.  I would agree he had a bad game, and his turf toe was more severe than he let on for good reason.  You try not to let onto you’re opponent the significance of an injury without going too far to get in trouble with the league.

My answer is yes, he had one bad game although it was in the biggest game of the year.  It’s also a little demeaning to the Bucs as that defense had a great game, so when some media folks twist what we saw, it doesn’t make sense.

Nord, I don’t read your post as not acknowledging how great the beginning of a career he’s had, just that several don’t want to admit, he played a bad game.  I agree.  It’s part that and part the defense played a great game in all phases.

Thats my vote, and One reason I like Cosell is he’s not afraid to just state reality.  He doesn’t pump up or down people.  That’s why my favorite football show although least favorite station is Matchup.

Yeah thank you.  I never said that Mahomes wasn’t very talented or that he wasn’t the best QB in the nfl.  I believe he is.  

Just that most in the media spent 2 weeks hyping about great he is, and perhaps...rightfully so, but it created the sense that he was going to waltz into Tampa and destroy TB.  That obviously didn’t happen.  It just seems that the same people who hyped him up are going way out of their way to rationalize his performance 

While I don’t feel he was the reason the team lost, I also don’t feel he was as good as people like Schwartz and Kimes would suggest.  IMO it was his worst game as a starting QB - which should say volumes about how good he has been over his first 3 years.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Agree 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:58 PM, Chicken Boo said:

What I don't understand is why they didn't use their RBs more, like they did with Damien Williams all of last post season?

He's still the best RB on the roster, btw.

Reid in big games, and most games abandons the run.  Problem was Buffalo is a zone team what they did KC expected.  Tampa was a blitz heavy team.  Bltiz twice early with some success then stopped completely.  Honestly, Bills issue was team speed on defense.  

On 2/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

I don’t watch every KC game but I looked up Kelce. At one point he went 58 receptions without a drop and he was only credited with 1 during the season. But that stat can be subjective I'm sure.

I

On 2/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

I don’t watch every KC game but I looked up Kelce. At one point he went 58 receptions without a drop and he was only credited with 1 during the season. But that stat can be subjective I'm sure.

very subjective, if I remember correctly, he started off a few play off games with numerous drops last year, before recovering and making big plays. Not saying he has bricks for hands, but it seems he has issues early in some games but always comes back strong....

7 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Reid in big games, and most games abandons the run.  Problem was Buffalo is a zone team what they did KC expected.  Tampa was a blitz heavy team.  Bltiz twice early with some success then stopped completely.  Honestly, Bills issue was team speed on defense.  

Yea Tampa blitzed on just 9% of the snaps. One of their rare blitzes came out of a dime personnel grouping they have used fewer than 10 times all season. Someone should take the MVP off Tom Brady. The MVP of that Superbowl was Todd Bowles. 

Speed on defense is an issue. As is a lack of ability to generate enough pressure with 4. Tampa got pressure on 34% of their 4 man rushes. The Bills can't do that. And then obviously our inability to pass protect against the Chiefs (when we can against most teams) and run the ball (which we can't against almost anyone) on offense.

Edited by GunnerBill