The Patrick Mahomes Super Bowl Debate

JohnNord

11 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

When did we start giving qbs credit for incomplete passes lol I have honestly never seen anything like this...yea he lobbed up some on target-ish passes that were frequently tipped by bucs defenders or his receivers took shots or gave up on the play because they didn't think they were getting the ball.  When the game mattered every completed pass I can remember was to a comically wide open travis kelce...mahomes did what we all accuse josh allen of and he did it the entire game start to finish...likely because he's never been in that situation before 

lol

8 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

lol

To clarify i wouldnt say I blame him for the loss at all I just think the supposed greatest quarterback in the history of football couldve done a better job keeping them in the game. He showed some impressive athleticism but he was straight up panicking and not even giving plays a chance late in that game...he was takin snaps and immediately running 20 yards backwards like people did with Michael Vick in the old madden games 🤣 maybe Andy Reid wasn't calling plays to alleviate the pass blocking issue and its all on him...its tough to tell from just seeing the broadcast angle of the game.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

17 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I dont mean to take away from mahomes but its pretty rare a first or second year qb gets dropped into a lineup who's already in their super bowl window...im not sure he deserves all the credit for their super bowl appearances 

Yeah he did come to a "good" team but it was one that was only a WC round type team even with a very good QB in Alex Smith.  If it were just about windows then Mahomes should have been arriving at the end of theirs.   Earlier under Reid they had been a defense-centric playoff team that one season had zero touchdown passes  thrown to wide receivers.    Then they aged out on defense and transitioned to an offensive team for a couple playoff trips and gradually became very one-sided on that side of the ball.   The 2018 Chiefs that Mahomes took to the #1 seed had a very bad defense.    They've gotten better as a team in the two seasons since.    If that's just a window then it's a very big window.   The window where Mahomes is involved is probably when his salary cap figure jumps up dramatically in 2022.  

17 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Mahommes was hurt and it affected his movement in the pocket.   He played ok just not super-human. The line was the main issue pure and simple. I will add Kelce had three drops in the SB in a season where he had only 1 in 16 games.  

Remember how Josh played with the shoulder brace. He had an off game but I'm not going to anoint him as the next Brady. We'll see what he looks like when he loses Kelce in a few years?

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he did come to a "good" team but it was one that was only a WC round type team even with a very good QB in Alex Smith.  If it were just about windows then Mahomes should have been arriving at the end of theirs.   Earlier under Reid they had been a defense-centric playoff team that one season had zero touchdown passes  thrown to wide receivers.    Then they aged out on defense and transitioned to an offensive team for a couple playoff trips and gradually became very one-sided on that side of the ball.   The 2018 Chiefs that Mahomes took to the #1 seed had a very bad defense.    They've gotten better as a team in the two seasons since.    If that's just a window then it's a very big window.   The window where Mahomes is involved is probably when his salary cap figure jumps up dramatically in 2022.  

Right thats what I was getting to lol I guess he's gonna get an even better chance to prove he can carry the team by himself when he loses a few weapons.  Im certainly not saying he's incapable he's just never really had to.  That's why that super bowl was so eye opening to me its like they had never seen adversity before and they completely collapsed from top to bottom.  Yea the offensive line was bad but they either did nothing to help mahomes out or he did nothing to help himself I cant tell which 

13 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

To clarify i wouldnt say I blame him for the loss at all I just think the supposed greatest quarterback in the history of football couldve done a better job keeping them in the game. He showed some impressive athleticism but he was straight up panicking and not even giving plays a chance late in that game...he was takin snaps and immediately running 20 yards backwards like people did with Michael Vick in the old madden games 🤣 maybe Andy Reid wasn't calling plays to alleviate the pass blocking issue and its all on him...its tough to tell from just seeing the broadcast angle of the game.  

I don’t think anyone has anointed the greatest quarterback in the history of football. That’s all I need to read to know what I’m dealing with here...

18 hours ago, JohnNord said:

After weeks of hearing how Patrick Mahomes is the “Michael Jordan” of the NFL, some in the media are now going out of their way to prop up his performance in the Super Bowl - despite the bad numbers and meager scoring output.

Yet earlier today, one of the most respect film analysts Gregg Cosell, actually used film study to show that Mahomes didn’t play his best game.  In the full podcast Tucker noted that so many wanted to blame the OL without acknowledging that Mahomes wasn’t as sharp as he’s been in the past.  

My opinion, is that while Mahomes made some incredible plays it was still probably his worst game as a pro.  I wouldn’t say he was the reason he lost, but you can add him to the long list of Chiefs who didn’t deliver.  

I do feel that the media is contorting to try to prop him up.  I find that kind of bizarre.  The crazy thing is that against the Bills everyone said “oh look how he’s moving he’s showing NO effects from turf toe.”  Then when he was losing they said “that turf toe is really affecting his throws tonight.”

The Chiefs fanbase is especially banging this drum hard.   

Where do you fall on this debate and do you think there’s a Pro-Mahomes narrative some are trying to push?

Can we cross-reference this topic with the topics discussing Josh’s performance in the AFCCG and then all agree to stop talking?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

I don’t think anyone has anointed the greatest quarterback in the history of football. That’s all I need to read to know what I’m dealing with here...

Did you have the game on mute and avoid all football related media this season? Lol They were talking about how he could win more super bowls than brady while being destroyed....by tom brady 🤣 mahomes did not play anywhere near his best in the super bowl and i guarantee you he would tell you the same thing if you asked him.  His game was eerily similar to Josh's against the chiefs...oline can't block so you try to do too much yourself and get mixed results.  For every stunningly athletic play there is an equally headscratching bad sack/bad read 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

While QB is the most important position in sports, you win as a team and you lose as a team. If your OLine plays poorly you’re not going anywhere no matter how good your QB is. 

This is of course true. But as others have mentioned there are things that you can do to counter a very good pass rush and take pressure off of a mediocre O-line. I don’t know that KC made the adjustments to their gameplan that were necessary. The short passing/ground game was what the Bucs were serving up but there were no takers. With the Bucs dropping 7 in coverage stubbornly hard nosing it looking for the big play all day long was just setting PM up in a hamburger uniform and throwing him to a pack of ravenous dogs.

5 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I think it was a hyperbole.  There was a ton of glowing media coverage about how great Mahomes is.  Many did proclaim his as the “Michael Jordan of NFL” and praised him as the most dominant athlete in any leagues.

So to say that Mahomes was heavily hyped leading up to the Super Bowl is an understatement.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, SGA50 said:

Ha!

100% of people should trust Greg Cosell over Mina Kimes. Mina Kimes knows next to nothing about football besides the basics.

🤣🤣

Worst sports personality on television and not close.

She thinks she does and fancies herself as a believer in analytics 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

We should have some more negative Mahomes threads. Doesn’t make us look bitter at all.

It’s not bitter...just pointing out the contrast in the way that different media personalities are analyzing the same performance.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Imagine being so insecure you worry about how a negative Mahomes thread on the internet makes you look

Haha, I couldn’t care at all. But having multiple threads about the qb who beat us seems excessive. If KC fans did this after Allen lost a super bowl, I would think they were losers. So would most people here. 

Mahomes is the best qb in the NFL and Allen made himself part of the conversation. Why are trying to tear Mahomes and Watson down? But you do you. I’m all about positivity. ✌️

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

She thinks she does and fancies herself as a believer in analytics 

It’s not bitter...just pointing out the contrast in the way that different media personalities are analyzing the same performance.

It was the worst game of Mahomes’ career and the first time he lost by more than double digits. In the super bowl. With a bunch of linemen out. He wasn’t the reason they lost. 

if this is happening all next year, then you start questioning him. But the great ones get more of a pass than Mitchell Tribusky. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha, I couldn’t care at all. But having multiple threads about the qb who beat us seems excessive. If KC fans did this after Allen lost a super bowl, I would think they were losers. So would most people here. 

Mahomes is the best qb in the NFL and Allen made himself part of the conversation. Why are trying to tear Mahomes and Watson down? But you do you. I’m all about positivity. ✌️

Yup you've been positive on Allen the whole way haven't you

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yup you've been positive on Allen the whole way haven't you

Nope. He’s wasn’t that good his first 2 years and got carried by a good/ great defense. He improved more than any player I’ve seen this year and I give him all the credit in the world.

it’s wild but when I get more information, I switch my opinion on things. Since Allen is a top 5 qb, there will not be one ounce of criticism from me about him. I also think criticizing other top 5 qbs is strange too but you do you and have a great weekend. ✌️

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I will tell one thin Josh will NEVER EVER DO at the end of ANY game... and thats throwing his own team mates under the buss..

Oh yea... I forgot Mahomes was flawless that game...

not

Mahomes also threw himself under the bus. It was a clumsy presser but he was just shell shocked.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Mahomes also threw himself under the bus. It was a clumsy presser but he was just shell shocked.

No excuses,,, IF Josh did that he would be slammed all off season by the media....  Mahomes does it the media treats him like a baby teddy bear.... no excuses

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1