A Few Thoughts About The Alabama Draft Class.....

Bill from NYC

4 hours ago, dorquemada said:

I'm a huge Bama fan (also went to grad school there!  '92 team ftw!) so consider that in context of me being a fanboy.  Having said that, I think because of the near-NFL scale roster, and probably the best college coach of all time, Bama players tend to get over-drafted.  I'd take ANY of the players listed above, but several of them wont even be available at pick 30, much less in latter rounds. 

I would like to see Najee in a Bills uni though, we need a RB like we were told Moss was going to be, someone we can grind in the 2nd half and pick up clock moving 1st downs

I remember that 92 team well.  Antonio Langham at CB, and George Teague at Safety.  They played in the first SEC Championship outside at Legion Field in Birmingham against the Gators with probably Shane Matthews.  The SEC was so exciting back then.  And still is!!  I remember Langham returning a pick 6.  You guys had Gene Stallings as head coach.  He wasn't Saban, but he could sure coach.  And he had the handicapped son.  Bless his heart.  My son played with your recent safety Xavier McKinney in HS outside of Atlanta.  They went to the Georgia State 7A (big school) Championship in 2015 and 2016.  You talk about a loaded team.  My kids class had 15 guys go play D1 ball.  My kid plays at Georgia Southern.  Had a bad knee injury in 2019 against LSU playing DE.  But he had a good result from surgery, and played in all 13 games this past season. (second half of the season once he got comfortable, he was balling OUT!!)  He is only 6'2 but tough quick smart and strong.  Another big year as a 5th year senior and he will get his shot in the pros.  He got a sack in the New Orleans Bowl against La Tech in the Superdome.  That was frikin very cool!!  

Sorry if I digress.  But I love college football.  Overall more exciting then the pros.  Except for watching the Bills. 

I agree about Najee Harris.  Tremendous talent.  Bills would do well to draft him.  Look how Damien Harris did with the Pats.  And Najee is more explosive and athletic.  Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think there's a legitimate chance the Bills take a corner at 30 too.😅

So I started my process thinking that. I am less convinced now. Just think after the top 3 who are all gone it is a bit of a reach. I really like Newsome from Northwestern but I suspect I am higher than the consensus and he will go mid round 2. Just feels early to me for Samuel or Campbell or the UCF kid DJ mocked to us.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

My kid plays at Georgia Southern.  Had a bad knee injury in 2019 against LSU playing DE.  But he had a good result from surgery, and played in all 13 games this past season. (second half of the season once he got comfortable, he was balling OUT!!)  He is only 6'2 but tough quick smart and strong.  Another big year as a 5th year senior and he will get his shot in the pros.  He got a sack in the New Orleans Bowl against La Tech in the Superdome.  That was frikin very cool!! 

I'll definitely keep an eye out for him next season. Judging by his school bio, he's a smart kid too.

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Maybe because the Bills been burnt in the past from players from these schools a la Reggie Ragland, Cyrus Kouandjio, Dareus???, Bo Wright, Watkins, etc

I’d rather take Tedarrell Slaton in the later rounds to be honest. His motor went every play

I agree with you.  Doesn't matter where you play.  If you can play then you can play.  McBeane do their due diligence when it comes to looking at guys from smaller schools.  Dareus was promising, along with Watkins but never lived up to their potential.  Hindsight is 20/20 but if you look at those drafts where we took guys from bigger schools, equal or better players were drafted later from smaller schools.  

I'll never forgive our former staff for drafting Watkins over Mack. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean either would be a pipe dream for the Bills. I think it is scheme specific. I think Waddle is a tad more versatile so I lean that way but some of those Shanahan offenses would be real nice fits for Davonta. 

It really is close! Davonta has better hands no doubt. Jaylen is faster and even harder to cover imo. Jaylen is better on kick returns. They are both splendid players.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

I note the glaring absence of any CBs listed in your analysis. 

Hmm.

You are correct. Surtain is a corner with very good size, strength and instincts. Had had his best and most consistent season this year. I have seen faster corners but he is obviously very talented. There does not seem to be an abundance of highly sought after corners this season, so he will be gone early. 

Gunner loves the kid, I like him but he will be gone way before we pick. 

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Mac Jones will be drafted by the Pats is my guess.  Incredibly accurate, slow pocket passer, very smart.

I would say that this is a strong possibility.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Mac Jones will be drafted by the Pats is my guess.  Incredibly accurate, slow pocket passer, very smart.

God help us.  Put in the right system, i expect Jones will be a very good QB in the NFL

• Like (+1) 2

The guy that I would kill to get from that roster is Davonta Smith.

He is everything you are looking for at that position and he even has star power! He's an NFL superstar waiting to be made.

He will go top 5 though, maybe even top 3!

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You are correct. Surtain is a corner with very good size, strength and instincts. Had had his best and most consistent season this year. I have seen faster corners but he is obviously very talented. There does not seem to be an abundance of highly sought after corners this season, so he will be gone early. 

And here I thought you didn’t list him because you didn’t want to give the Bills any ideas about drafting one in the first round. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Bama has a ton of talent. I wonder if they get dinged a little because they are playing next to studs? Like, are you that good or is he that good? 
For some reason Beane hasn’t touched the Bama well in his previous 3 drafts, he has steered clear of OSU and Clemson players too. I’m trying to think who we have drafted since Beane has been here and what big time schools he has picked a player from. Who am I forgetting?

2000's USC had that issue as well. You never knew who was making the other players look better than they were. I feel like for the most part Bama players have fared well in the NFL the past 10ish years. So I think avoiding them completely is a bad strategy unless Beane and the scouting department have data that Bama, OSU and Clemson players aren't panning out. I think the reason Beane has stayed away from those programs might just be coincidence. I am sure he has liked some of their players but they just haven't fallen to them at the right spot.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I started my process thinking that. I am less convinced now. Just think after the top 3 who are all gone it is a bit of a reach. I really like Newsome from Northwestern but I suspect I am higher than the consensus and he will go mid round 2. Just feels early to me for Samuel or Campbell or the UCF kid DJ mocked to us.

I am confused tbh.

Why would we take CB in round 1? I mean everything is possible, but besides QB and S I can hardly find a position which I find less problematic right now. We need to upgade OL, we need solid TE, speedy RB, we could use some speed at WR, we need 1 tech DT, edge, we might need to solve LB if Milano walks... Could we upgrade CB2? Sure. Could we use some depth? Sure. But is it bigger need than those other positions? I don't think so.

I'd be shocked if we took CB round 1, but not from reasons you mention. Looking at mocks there seem to be value on most positions where we really need some upgrade.

19 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I am confused tbh.

Why would we take CB in round 1? I mean everything is possible, but besides QB and S I can hardly find a position which I find less problematic right now. We need to upgade OL, we need solid TE, speedy RB, we could use some speed at WR, we need 1 tech DT, edge, we might need to solve LB if Milano walks... Could we upgrade CB2? Sure. Could we use some depth? Sure. But is it bigger need than those other positions? I don't think so.

I'd be shocked if we took CB round 1, but not from reasons you mention. Looking at mocks there seem to be value on most positions where we really need some upgrade.

So I would have CB higher up the list of needs than you. They have basically survived with mid range FAs and Wallace battling for #2 but the mid range FA disappears now you are paying Tre the big bucks. They have to take a corner in this draft even if they bring Wallace back as an RFA (he will be a UFA next year). I don't think they have to do at #30 but I'd rather use that pick on a corner than a running back, tight end, 1 tech or second tier receiver.

• Like (+1) 1