Mcshay Mock has Najee Harris to Buffalo

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's BPA at a position that could use an upgrade. We ran fine during the year when Moss was around, but once he went down we had nothing. Get some better talent there at a good value spot in the draft.

we also did well last year singletary had huge ypa, but we also seemed to use him very sparingly. maybe it is him but even moss was running into brick walls alot..only he could do alittle better to drag them for a few yards.

i wouldnt hate the pick but i want the D to get playmakers again. we get the D back and our O is more then fine regardless of a nothing run scheme. 

4 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

this seems like a lazy take. bills couldnt run. has to be the back! couldnt be the line or scheme. cover one did a good anaylisis and do to the constant shift in o line theres somthing our coaches just didn't like. it would be great to get a upgrade at any position but i dont see it rb as a top need unless it bpa

I think the answer is it’s both.

Rbs suck, and o line sucks.

RB is definitely a weakness though. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffarukus said:

we also did well last year singletary had huge ypa, but we also seemed to use him very sparingly. maybe it is him but even moss was running into brick walls alot..only he could do alittle better to drag them for a few yards.

i wouldnt hate the pick but i want the D to get playmakers again. we get the D back and our O is more then fine regardless of a nothing run scheme. 

I absolutely agree. Dont get me wrong, I'm only focusing on the Harris pick here because it's the main topic of the thread.

I'd say our Defensive Front 7 is the biggest area of weakness, followed by some OL needs. If it were completely up to me, we'd have the unicorn DE or LB waiting there for us at #30.

Additionally, after watching us screw up so badly with wasting early 1st round picks on Lynch and Spiller, I have been in the camp that pounded the table to never draft another RB in the 1st ever again.

Buuuuut... that was when we were always picking around #9-12, it's a little different at #30. And we have other ways and opportunities to address our needs besides the #30 draft pick (the rest of the draft, free agency, Beane's trades).

So if Harris (or even Etienne) is there, I wouldn't be upset if we snagged him.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

They were 15-4 and most way-too-early analysts rate us from the 2nd to 4th best team in football. Reading this thread you would think our favorite team was below .500. Maybe we should just listen to our GM who has been clear that you don't use the draft to fill holes. Beane was the Executive of the Year, you know. We're in the position where we can afford to easily take the BPA. 

As controversial as it sounds the “majority” of draft picks annually by all teams are BPA at positions of need.  Even Beane (who I am a big fan of) said he chose BPA at positions of need in an interview during our last draft. (I was amazed he admitted it) Strict BPA draft picks happen far less often than fans realize. It has taken on mythical proportions over the decades even though it rarely happens. I have total faith in Beane, McDermott and their team of evaluators to choose the right players for our team, It’s going to be a fantastic upcoming season!

Go Bills!!!

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I absolutely agree. Dont get me wrong, I'm only focusing on the Harris pick here because it's the main topic of the thread.

I'd say our Defensive Front 7 is the biggest area of weakness, followed by some OL needs. If it were completely up to me, we'd have the unicorn DE or LB waiting there for us at #30.

Additionally, after watching us screw up so badly with wasting early 1st round picks on Lynch and Spiller, I have been in the camp that pounded the table to never draft another RB in the 1st ever again.

Buuuuut... that was when we were always picking around #9-12, it's a little different at #30. And we have other ways and opportunities to address our needs besides the #30 draft pick (the rest of the draft, free agency, Beane's trades).

So if Harris (or even Entienne) is there, I wouldn't be upset if we snagged him.

so who do you give up on? obviously that would be a upgrade but singletary seems good in spots and moss is just a rookie. both had thier spots and im not sure which one you push down so soon.

Harris is a damned stud.

Draft this kid and it will make everyone on offense better. It will stop the defensive line from pinning their ears back, it will give you a very tough, elusive, has great vision and patience and is a RB that always falls forward and is a threat out of the backfield.

He may not have top end speed but his elusiveness and power are unmatched, IMO.

If he’s there at 30 overall, I hope the kid is the pick.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so who do you give up on? obviously that would be a upgrade but singletary seems good in spots and moss is just a rookie. both had thier spots and im not sure which one you push down so soon.

I let them work that out in camp. Bring in good competition and let the cream rise to the top. And I'm not really giving up on anyone since we have a 19-20 game schedule to think about now. RBs get banged up. Worth keeping a few around, especially when theyre all on rookie deals.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

This offense is geared towards the pass - emphasize that.

Yes and when we pass the ball to our RBs it is a wasted down. KC was giving no respect to Singletary. They begged us to throw him the ball and the result was predictably terrible. A running back with speed or power who can catch the ball in the flats is a huge weapon in the pass game. It isn't just about running. Allen needs another game breaker he can deliver the ball to.

• Like (+1) 1

So I was sitting here contemplating who Najee Harris reminds me of... height, weight, speed, burst... then I thought wait there was a guy on bama just like him... then I got here ... then I thought maybe go d end there instead of RB..

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

As controversial as it sounds the “majority” of draft picks annually by all teams are BPA at positions of need.  Even Beane (who I am a big fan of) said he chose BPA at positions of need in an interview during our last draft. (I was amazed he admitted it) Strict BPA draft picks happen far less often than fans realize. It has taken on mythical proportions over the decades even though it rarely happens. I have total faith in Beane, McDermott and their team of evaluators to choose the right players for our team, It’s going to be a fantastic upcoming season!

Go Bills!!!

The voice of wisdom.  I couldn’t agree more.  It’s always nice to hear need vs. boa, but the truth for almost every team is BPA at say four positions if need.  So if this team has decided we need a RB, Edge Rusher, CB, LB, TE, OL, they are going to look at their board say of these positions who is the best of one of these spots.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

Singletary is probably the weaker RB. He continues to miss blitzes and his catching abilities are bad. Mix in that blazing 4.62 and the decision to replace him with Harris would be easy.

4 hours ago, thurst44 said:

They were 15-4 and most way-too-early analysts rate us from the 2nd to 4th best team in football. Reading this thread you would think our favorite team was below .500. Maybe we should just listen to our GM who has been clear that you don't use the draft to fill holes. Beane was the Executive of the Year, you know. We're in the position where we can afford to easily take the BPA. 

Beane also said he liked our RBs and they get too much of the blame for problems with the run.

I do listen to him. 

And every GM uses the draft to fill holes...QB, LB, DB, etc... They just try not to reach to fill those needs.

Folks get too wrapped up in a narrow interpretation of BPA.

The needs of a team a GM knows for certain, but the certainty regarding the grade assigned to a prospect on your draft board? That's a bit less of a certain thing.

It may easily be that even with a player rated 10 selections lower on your board you go with that player because the projected uncertain grade difference does not outweigh the certain need you are filling with the player graded slightly lower.

Or a highly rated prospect may be part of a deep position in the draft and you feel you can address it in the later rounds to focus on prospects where the draft is thin.

Or there could be a player high on your board, but you know other teams don't have the same high grade and you think you can nab that player when he falls to you in a later round. So you pass him up.

There is wiggle-room for GM judgement calls. If there weren't, teams could just load their draft boards into a robo-prospect selecting program, sit back, and enjoy some cocktails while the program runs their BPA draft.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Singletary is probably the weaker RB. He continues to miss blitzes and his catching abilities are bad. Mix in that blazing 4.62 and the decision to replace him with Harris would be easy.

i dont know. like i said he performed very well the year before with a aging frank gore. i think his elusiveness is a quality thats hard to replicate. speed is great but i didnt see him getting any openings that would have helped and if thats a factor i dont think moss is applying any afterburners Singletary lacks. i really dont know which direction the coaching staff would go but having a stud force that decision isnt the worst idea. i just think it can be had in other rounds or FA. 

Edited by Buffarukus

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So I was sitting here contemplating who Najee Harris reminds me of... height, weight, speed, burst... then I thought wait these was a guy on bama just like him... then I got here ... then I thought maybe go d end there instead of RB..

I have seen all of both of their carries at Alabama, probably every carry.

TJ was a fine player, but Najee is in a much higher class. They btw played behind the 2 best offensive line that I ever saw in Bama. The one that TJ played on was the one that flattened Notre Dame for the title, and was geared more toward the running game. Different times. 

Although I wouldn't hate it, I am not banging the drum to draft Najee in round 1. Frankly, I think that he will be gone by the time we select under any conditions. Of course, this is jmo.

Anyway, Najee is stronger, a MUCH better blocker, and twice as athletic as TJ. He also has developed into a fine receiver. I think that he will have a very good career, despite not having real breakaway speed. He works as hard as anybody and is very smart.

That said, I have never been a big fan of first round RBs., but Najee is not a CJ Spiller. Again, the team that selects him will be very happy.

Once again, JMO.

• Like (+1) 1