Mcshay Mock has Najee Harris to Buffalo

On 2/11/2021 at 11:38 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where does this "no chance of getting extra yards out of it" come from then?  Is it because Allen delays taking it until the defense figures out he's forced into it and the yards are gone?

Allen holds the ball longer than just about anyone, so there are a lot of situations where his safety valve doesn't have much opportunity for YAC. I'd like to see him get better at identifying when the checkdown is the best option quickly. The way he plays now allows for a lot of huge plays, but it can be a killer if those don't materialize. Guys like Brady made their careers within a few yards of the LoS. If Josh can do that as well as drill the ball in tight windows down the field, no one will be able to stop him. There were a couple games this year (don't remember off the top of my head) where I remember him getting rid of the ball super quick and just marching down the field with pace. I think that's when he's the most dangerous.

Edited by BullBuchanan

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Allen holds the ball longer than just about anyone, so there are a lot of situations where his safety valve doesn't have much opportunity for YAC. I'd like to see him get better at identifying when the checkdown is the best option quickly. The way he plays now allows for a lot of huge plays, but it can be a killer if those don't materialize. Guys like Brady made their careers within a few yards of the LoS. If Josh can do that as well as drill the ball in tight windows down the field, no one will be able to stop him. There were a couple games this year 9don't remember off the top of my head) where I remember him getting rid of the ball super quick and just marching down the field with pace. I think that's when he's the most dangerous.

Well, for example, in the 3rd Q of the first Chiefs game, he went 5 for 5 and just flew down the field for a TD.

I have trouble knowing if I should trust what I think I see, but my perception is that there are times when if Allen just pulled the trigger quickly - not always to Singletary, sometimes to Beasley or Knox - they could get YAC.  I don't know the decision making process there.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Just read 2 mocks, one has a us trading up to #21 for a CB, other has us trading back to #37, believe it was for a tackle.

In other words, who knows what will happen.

A trade up to #21 for a CB sounds like just the thing here (ducking)

18 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I had a dream last night that the Bills traded out of the first round... no idea what happened next though

I'm good with it...  The team needed top end talent to make the jump to division leader.  They added diggs.  You need to keep reloading to stay at the top. 

To stay on top you have to keep bringing along depth so when players leave, you have good young players who are chomping at the bit to win a starting job.

No RB in round 1 please. There are plenty available in FA and the 2 we have are decent if not great. A CB or edge rusher would be a far better pick if there's value there. If not, take the best OL available. Please no RB or LB in round 1. That said, it's time for Beane to start nailing these 1st round picks. Josh has been his only solid value in round 1 or 2 thus far.

• Dislike 1

18 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I had a dream last night that the Bills traded out of the first round... no idea what happened next though

Dang!

I was awaiting with baited breath on what was going to happen. 

Now my day is ruined. 

Edited by DJB

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

No RB in round 1 please. There are plenty available in FA and the 2 we have are decent if not great. A CB or edge rusher would be a far better pick if there's value there. If not, take the best OL available. Please no RB or LB in round 1. That said, it's time for Beane to start nailing these 1st round picks. Josh has been his only solid value in round 1 or 2 thus far.

You know I could actually live with this If T J Yeldon was one of the two RB's and Buffalo drafts the best TE on the board. Pitts perhaps.

My dream has a bama back field of T J Yeldon and Najee Harris. ( nailed it )

Najeeeeeeeee!!! The opposition!!!

A man can dream...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, NewEra said:

if we’re going to draft a Rb in rd 1, I’d prefer to get a draft pick in return for one of our previous 3rd rd picks.  I don’t think we’d get anything for Motor.  Would you trade for him?  Might be able to get a 4-6th for Moss.  I think we’d only be able to get a 7th for singletary, if we were lucky.

Singletary would probably net a 5th rounder in a trade.

If Beane drafted a RB in that spot, with multiple holes on OL, DL, and a glaring need in the secondary, they should rescind his Exec of the Year award.  That would be beyond dumb.  Unless of course those holes were filled before the draft, which seems highly unlikely given the cap situation.  

I just don’t see why people still want to draft running backs in round 1in the year 2021. 

Unless they are rare dual threat talents like Saquon Barkley or Christian McCaffrey — and your team is otherwise so good/stacked that you can afford the luxury — I don’t see the logic or value. 

49 minutes ago, Logic said:

I just don’t see why people still want to draft running backs in round 1in the year 2021. 

Unless they are rare dual threat talents like Saquon Barkley or Christian McCaffrey — and your team is otherwise so good/stacked that you can afford the luxury — I don’t see the logic or value. 

Have you ever watched Harris play?.....the kid is generational 

• Disagree 2

On 2/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Jeremy White was saying similar things the other day..I could see other positions obviously too but it is interesting to see the national media now starting to link the Bills to RBs  

Zierlien of NFL.com has the same pick for the Bills.

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

I just do not think so.  

The kid looks slow/average with an offense line that was worlds better than the defenses they were playing.  Maybe he will excel, but on Alabama his OLine was so much better that he really had very little to do as a RB.

In the NFL - I think he is maybe a slightly better version of Moss.  Based upon NFL needs - I am not sure he is the best RB in the draft - let alone generational.  He certainly is not being talked about like Barkley, CMC, Elliott range of guys - real generational talent that were all still over drafted.

He seems more in the Sony Michel, CEH level of RB (late first early second) - nothing wrong with them, but nothing significantly better than RBs picked in later rounds and even several Undrafted FA RBs.  In the post season CEH was outplayed by UDFA Williams for KC.  You have Michel - a first round pick outplayed by another  former Alabama RB in Damien Harris (a third round pick) and both were on par to Singletary and Moss.

I think Harris can play - if you stick him on a run heavy team with a Run blocking OL - like Tenn or Baltimore.  I think in a pass first offense with a pass first OL - Harris becomes a JAG and I would rather see the Bills go after a speed back in a later round - rather than Harris in RD 1 with a wasted 5th year option.

I would feel better about Harris if we moved back into RD 2 - the 10-15 range and picked up some extra picks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I just do not think so.  

The kid looks slow/average with an offense line that was worlds better than the defenses they were playing.  Maybe he will excel, but on Alabama his OLine was so much better that he really had very little to do as a RB.

In the NFL - I think he is maybe a slightly better version of Moss.  Based upon NFL needs - I am not sure he is the best RB in the draft - let alone generational.  He certainly is not being talked about like Barkley, CMC, Elliott range of guys - real generational talent that were all still over drafted.

He seems more in the Sony Michel, CEH level of RB (late first early second) - nothing wrong with them, but nothing significantly better than RBs picked in later rounds and even several Undrafted FA RBs.  In the post season CEH was outplayed by UDFA Williams for KC.  You have Michel - a first round pick outplayed by another  former Alabama RB in Damien Harris (a third round pick) and both were on par to Singletary and Moss.

I think Harris can play - if you stick him on a run heavy team with a Run blocking OL - like Tenn or Baltimore.  I think in a pass first offense with a pass first OL - Harris becomes a JAG and I would rather see the Bills go after a speed back in a later round - rather than Harris in RD 1 with a wasted 5th year option.

I would feel better about Harris if we moved back into RD 2 - the 10-15 range and picked up some extra picks.

The slighter better RB than Moss anology is underestimating the potential of Najee Harris IMO. I realize Alabama provides very good running conditions. Alabama also recruits some of the best RB's in the nation. In his final season with the tide Najee Harris scored 30 TD's total ground and air with 1,891 total yards ground and air. Averaging 5.8 yards a carry. ( Derrick Henrys last season with Alabama 5.7 ) I'm not sure Bama wins a Championship without the scoring machine named Najee Harris IMO.

So while I wouldn't go as far as saying generational yet. If your looking for the next Thurman Thomas Najee Harris could be that guy in my humble opinion. I realize drafting Harris is going to require reaching higher then you probably should IMO. Still, intelligent. highly motivated.  I think Harris is an exceptional athlete at the RB position that does it all and would fit very well in the process IMO.

With all due respect

Edited by Figster

20 hours ago, Sweats said:

I love Harris and wouldn’t be mad if we drafted him but I don’t view him as a generational back at all.  Adrian Peterson and Barkley are the only backs that I viewed as “generational” in the last 20 years.  Look at all the back drafted in the top 20.....Harris likely isn’t even going in the top 20.  Best back in the draft. Sure.  Generational?  I disagree 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/04/19/highest-drafted-running-backs-since-1998/amp/

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:12 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess my overall feeling is that we need to put the best players on the field.  If we waved a magic wand and suddenly had Kittle and Kelce at TE obviously we'd want to run 2 TE sets.  If somehow Knox comes back like a Tiger and we draft a top TE and the TE we have are arguably as good or better playmakers, sure.  But until we see that, Beasley is one of our top playmakers and he should be on the field.

Davis has been a bit more uneven.  There are games where he's been a difference maker and games where he's dropped passes or otherwise not made plays that he could.  I'm not an expert, but his route running has been uneven.  Now he was a rookie, and he could take a big step this next season.  But overall he belongs on the field (in the passing and downfield blocking game) more than Knox as of this point.

If you're talking just run 2 TE sets a bit more than we do, given an upgrade at TE, sure.  We ran 91 plays at 12 set last season.  That's almost 6 plays per game.  I suspect that what you'd like to see, isn't so much more use of 2 TE sets as more notable results when we do use them.

I want to at least have the capacity to throw to either TE. Right now it's an inconsistent Knox and no one else. 12 personnel not only helps Josh in pass protection but it can afford him a safety valve. Davis will improve in his 2nd season but we still need to continue the search for a better RB or TE.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:38 AM, TheFunPolice said:

That's one way of getting a 4th round pick.