Mcshay Mock has Najee Harris to Buffalo

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually think they may consider Singletary and Moss closer in performance than they thought when they drafted Moss, with Moss better at finding a few yards on his own.

What I think might happen is that Beane will try to swing a trade for Singletary and then pick up a vet running back he sees as an improvement.  But that's just a wild-assed guess.

But first round pick at RB - let's just say he'd better be a true difference making player because I agree with your assessment that to fix the run game, the OL run blocking needs fixed.

I'd like the board to give OL line draft options at 30.  I don't think Henry would get many 100 yard games behind this line, so why would we think one of these guys would be a difference maker.  As I've suggested elsewhere, Brady won because his OLs were usually the strongest units on his teams.  Let's do the same for Josh.  Go Bills!!

19 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Fair enough. I just feel this offense isnt the kind of offense, as Allen continues to evolve, that is going to dump it off to the RB 10x a game in the passing game. Allen is looking to make plays downfield. 

That being said, i do agree that a more explosive/homerun threat at rb would be nice. A first round pick though? 

Drafting a RB would be three consecutive years we draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. In a passing league,

or during any era, thats kinda nutty. 

The way I see it, picking at 30 is hard. The only blue chip players available will probably be Harris or Etienne. Anyone else you're gambling if they'll ever be a consistent starter. One way or another this offense needs one more upper tier player or else teams will copy KC's plan of bracketing Diggs and Beasley. I don't care if the upper tier player is a RB. If it takes our offense to another level this year I'm all for it.

Allen needs to be comfortable with dumping passes to his RB. That is an effective way to win if defenses are giving up those easy yards. Right now he isn't comfortable doing that for good reason.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Allen needs to be comfortable with dumping passes to his RB. That is an effective way to win if defenses are giving up those easy yards. Right now he isn't comfortable doing that for good reason.

Do you really think it's on Singletary (or Moss, or Knox) and not just on Allen not wanting to take the checkdown? 

Overall this season Motor had a 76% catch % and a 6% drop rate which isn't top-notch for an RB but it's not horrid either.

He did have a bad drop in the AFC champ. game but we shouldn't kill a guy for 1 play either

• Like (+1) 1

What about a TE that can really block. 

I heard the TE from Penn State is huge and can really block and catch.

He helps the pass and run game.  We could also actually put 2 TE's out there at the same time and pass or run in that formation.

Maybe that would help out the running game a little?

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you really think it's on Singletary (or Moss, or Knox) and not just on Allen not wanting to take the checkdown? 

Allen definitely needs to learn to be more willing to take check downs. He did it more this year which was good progress, just needs to keep improving. But when he did there was no chance of getting extra yards out of it. Our RB screen game was also horrible this year.

It's really hard to have a consistently elite offense with nothing but WRs. The Seahawks had the same problem this year. Eventually teams will just ignore your TEs and RBs because they know you won't punish them for it.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen definitely needs to learn to be more willing to take check downs. He did it more this year which was good progress, just needs to keep improving. But when he did there was no chance of getting extra yards out of it. Our RB screen game was also horrible this year.

It's really hard to have a consistently elite offense with nothing but WRs. The Seahawks had the same problem this year. Eventually teams will just ignore your TEs and RBs because they know you won't punish them for it.

So watching film, there are times when I see an open checkdown with so much freakin' green in front of him he could plant a tree farm on the way downfield.

Where does this "no chance of getting extra yards out of it" come from then?  Is it because Allen delays taking it until the defense figures out he's forced into it and the yards are gone?

And absolutely, in some games teams ignored our TE and RB because they could.   I just don't necessarily put that on the TE and the RB.  They did their job.  They are standing there open.  Now if they drop balls or fumble in practice, I don't know.

41 minutes ago, hjnick said:

What about a TE that can really block. 

I heard the TE from Penn State is huge and can really block and catch.

He helps the pass and run game.  We could also actually put 2 TE's out there at the same time and pass or run in that formation.

Maybe that would help out the running game a little?

A consistent blocking TE would for sure help the run game, but for a 2 TE formation who do you want to take off the field?  12 set means only 2 WR. 

And you really kind of need dual threat guys.  Lee Smith can really block, but no one is concerned about him as a receiver.

What's the Penn State guys name?

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where does this "no chance of getting extra yards out of it" come from then?  Is it because Allen delays taking it until the defense figures out he's forced into it and the yards are gone?

There were several times this year where he threw it to Singletary with plenty of space to run and he either dropped the pass or stumbled or ran so slow out of the catch that the defense caught up to him. He was honestly terrible this year. The only thing he did well was pass block, which is fine, but we need more from the position. Allen on the whole does need to make quicker decisions and take easier throws when they are there. But we also called a lot of long developing pass plays and I don't want him immediately taking a 4 yard check down to our slow RB when waiting an extra couple seconds could mean Diggs comes open 20 yards downfield. Daboll tried to get the RBs involved all season long and it just never worked. Most plays designed for the RBs to get the ball, running or passing, were wasted downs.

Harris gets you power and vision, Etienne gets you game breaking speed. Either skill set would give our offense another element that defenses actually have to worry about. No DC lies awake at night thinking about Singletary and Moss, Pete Carroll the lone exception. Also Allen likes to throw to players he trusts which is why Diggs and Beasley were by far his two favorite options this year. I'm not gonna blame him too much for looking beyond the RBs.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

You don’t need to spend a first rounder on a running back. You can get a good one in the third. 

Especially for what we need, we don't really need a generational talent bell cow. We just need that rb with difference making speed that can catch a dump off from josh and can out run LBs and make defenses have to account for swing pass, screen, or even draws.

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen works off trust, he trusts Beasley and diggs to make a tough catch or even make a defender miss and pick up the first. Singletary never really provided that on passes, mainly cuz a LB can catch Singletary from behind. He didn't have that burst. I really don't think it was the drops or Allen not willing to take an easy dump off, I think its more Allen trusting literally any other player on the feild to make a play on a pass over Singletary.

On 2/10/2021 at 5:33 PM, Buffarukus said:

this seems like a lazy take. bills couldnt run. has to be the back! couldnt be the line or scheme. cover one did a good anaylisis and do to the constant shift in o line theres somthing our coaches just didn't like. it would be great to get a upgrade at any position but i dont see rb as a top need unless it bpa

BPA is the only way I see buffalo drafting a RB but he’d have to be top 12 on their board.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Fair enough. I just feel this offense isnt the kind of offense, as Allen continues to evolve, that is going to dump it off to the RB 10x a game in the passing game. Allen is looking to make plays downfield. 

That being said, i do agree that a more explosive/homerun threat at rb would be nice. A first round pick though? 

Drafting a RB would be three consecutive years we draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. In a passing league,

or during any era, thats kinda nutty. 

drafting mid rounds and drafting round 1 is totally different .. we went up to the bat twice at mid rounds and wiffed.. now we try earlier

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So watching film, there are times when I see an open checkdown with so much freakin' green in front of him he could plant a tree farm on the way downfield.

And absolutely, in some games teams ignored our TE and RB because they could.   I just don't necessarily put that on the TE and the RB.  They did their job.  They are standing there open.  Now if they drop balls or fumble in practice, I don't know.

A consistent blocking TE would for sure help the run game, but for a 2 TE formation who do you want to take off the field?  12 set means only 2 WR. 

And you really kind of need dual threat guys.  Lee Smith can really block, but no one is concerned about him as a receiver.

What's the Penn State guys name?

Friementh or something like that, the TE from PennSt.

Right now, you take Beaz off the field and leave Gabe and Diggs on the field.

If both TE's are receiving threats, I think that formation can really work. especially in crunch time when we need to run the ball and get 10 yards to ice the game.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Beas has earned more than that.

Well, it's not like we are going to play 2 TE's the whole time.  I really like Beas and I hope we sign him to an extension. He has been great for the team.

Could you play Beas opposite of Diggs in a 2 TE set?  or is that what you would do instead of Gabe?

5 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Well, it's not like we are going to play 2 TE's the whole time.  I really like Beas and I hope we sign him to an extension. He has been great for the team.

Could you play Beas opposite of Diggs in a 2 TE set?  or is that what you would do instead of Gabe?

I guess my overall feeling is that we need to put the best players on the field.  If we waved a magic wand and suddenly had Kittle and Kelce at TE obviously we'd want to run 2 TE sets.  If somehow Knox comes back like a Tiger and we draft a top TE and the TE we have are arguably as good or better playmakers, sure.  But until we see that, Beasley is one of our top playmakers and he should be on the field.

Davis has been a bit more uneven.  There are games where he's been a difference maker and games where he's dropped passes or otherwise not made plays that he could.  I'm not an expert, but his route running has been uneven.  Now he was a rookie, and he could take a big step this next season.  But overall he belongs on the field (in the passing and downfield blocking game) more than Knox as of this point.

If you're talking just run 2 TE sets a bit more than we do, given an upgrade at TE, sure.  We ran 91 plays at 12 set last season.  That's almost 6 plays per game.  I suspect that what you'd like to see, isn't so much more use of 2 TE sets as more notable results when we do use them.

• Like (+1) 1