Re-sign or “wave good-bye” series: Player 6 - Isaiah McKenzie

YoloinOhio

WR Isaiah McKenzie  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or wave good-bye?

• Offer whatever it takes to keep him
    • Make an offer, but if he gets one elsewhere that exceeds the value the team has assessed on him, let him walk
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

McKenzie looked decent when given an opportunity, but he wasn't given much of an opportunity. Have to assume he was not trusted at some level, maybe not being on the same page with Josh or not trusting him with the ball. Like I thought it was interesting Hyde returned punts when Roberts got hurt. If McKenzie can't do that I have to lead toward us not really wanting to re-sign him.

On 2/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Mckenzie Aka McKittrick aka lil Dirty is a UFA. He will be 26 in April. In 2020 regular season he played in 16 games with 7 starts. He played in 26 percent of offensive snaps and 3 percent of ST snaps. He had 30 catches on 34 targets for 282 yards and 5 TDs. He had 1 drop. He also threw for a TD, had a punt return TD and scored a TD In the AFCCG. He was on a 1 year deal in 2020 for 962k, after the Bills declined to tender him as an RFA.  

I do not see where to find his market value, if anyone sees that please post. 

I really like McKittrick and hope he remains a Bill. I also hope that if that does happen Daboll won’t forget he’s on the roster for games at a time.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How are you deciding that the player who is our 4th or 5th receiver is worth $2M or $3M, is what I'm asking?

I guess the top WR gets $10M to 15M a Year   (Diggs)

your 2nd and 3rd WRs  get 7-10M a year    (Brown, Beasley)

your 4th and 5th WRs get   $750K to $3M a year...

If you split your cap approximately by  1/8th  (one for each skill position),  then you have about $25M of your Cap to spend on WRs...  If you spent 20+ on the 1st three then the 4th and 5th are playing rookie contracts or minimum wages.

22 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

McKenzie looked decent when given an opportunity, but he wasn't given much of an opportunity. Have to assume he was not trusted at some level, maybe not being on the same page with Josh or not trusting him with the ball. Like I thought it was interesting Hyde returned punts when Roberts got hurt. If McKenzie can't do that I have to lead toward us not really wanting to re-sign him.

As the season went on this was an example of player usage that could have been better,  our HC, as good as he is, and he is darn good,  is a bit stubborn when it comes to this sort of thing, ie; RBs all season long, and WRs during the post season... as well, game plan adjustments, he is a little stubborn on some points, and I don’t think that is particularly arguable. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

On 2/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Mckenzie Aka McKittrick aka lil Dirty is a UFA. He will be 26 in April. In 2020 regular season he played in 16 games with 7 starts. He played in 26 percent of offensive snaps and 3 percent of ST snaps. He had 30 catches on 34 targets for 282 yards and 5 TDs. He had 1 drop. He also threw for a TD, had a punt return TD and scored a TD In the AFCCG. He was on a 1 year deal in 2020 for 962k, after the Bills declined to tender him as an RFA.  

I do not see where to find his market value, if anyone sees that please post. 

I follow a number of players on Instagram, and following McKenzie kind of makes me sad.  He is posting a lot of stuff of him working out.  I'm sure the other players work out too but no one else seems to be making it a focus of their timeline (yet).  But it makes a lot of sense for a guy who is a free agent 1) to put it out there, he's a grinder, he's hard at work training already 2) to be in peak shape if he's asked to work out for any teams around the start of the league year.

Makes me see it as most likely he won't be back.

Question, @YoloinOhio: could the Bills have tendered McKenzie?  Per this:

In the NFL, a restricted free agent (RFA) is a player with three accrued seasons (playing in at least six games a year) who has an expiring contract.

2020 was McKenzie's 4th accrued season in the league.  So I don't think tendering him was an option.  Unless you meant the Bills didn't tender him last season?

On 2/16/2021 at 7:16 AM, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

This group of coaches just has no clue what to do with players like Yeldon and McKenzie. When they are given opportunities they perform. But yet we rarely see them. We could save a ton of cap space and let Isaiah do basically the job of Brown and Roberts. 

On 2/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I follow a number of players on Instagram, and following McKenzie kind of makes me sad.  He is posting a lot of stuff of him working out.  I'm sure the other players work out too but no one else seems to be making it a focus of their timeline (yet).  But it makes a lot of sense for a guy who is a free agent 1) to put it out there, he's a grinder, he's hard at work training already 2) to be in peak shape if he's asked to work out for any teams around the start of the league year.

Makes me see it as most likely he won't be back.

Question, @YoloinOhio: could the Bills have tendered McKenzie?  Per this:

2020 was McKenzie's 4th accrued season in the league.  So I don't think tendering him was an option.  Unless you meant the Bills didn't tender him last season?

They didn’t tender him last season when he was an RFA. Then he re-signed as a UFA. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They didn’t tender him last season when he was an RFA. Then he re-signed as a UFA. 

If you have Insta check the lil' guy out.  zee_thoven 

He's just on there grinding away in his pink pineapple shorts, carrying around 200 lbs of hand weights, doing all sorta weight training with technique I'm not clear if it's proper or not, all by his lonesome except for whoever is filming him.

Someone pay da man!

Isaiah McKenzie interview.  The interviewer is an amateur and it starts out a bit "fangirl" and slow, but it's interesting.

Has anyone read a feature  about his family background?  There's gotta be a story there.

McKenzie went to the same high school as Sony Michel.  When asked why he chose Georgia for college, he said when he was recruited from High School he didn't "have anyone in his corner", family or mentors going with him on school visits and asking questions other than football.  He went on all his visits by himself.  But Sony Michel did have people in his corner, and he chose Georgia so he figured it was probably a good choice and "well if I go there, at least I'll know someone".

He decided after the first 3 games his Jr year where he was playing really well, he would "come out no matter what"

Asked about his pass to Josh in the AZ game, he said he was the scout team QB all that week and he was "dropping dimes"; he'd been telling Daboll all year that he could pass, but after that week Daboll put in the play.  Said he always tells Josh "you should play TE" and "Josh gets so mad at me".

Interviewer comments that he's the only receiver left on the team from Josh's rookie year and asks how they get along.  He hesitated: "ah...heh...we got like a....heh...like a love hate relationship, we both love each other, you know what I'm saying? he probably hates me....just like, a little bit" Said if he was going to put numbers on it..."he loves me 80, no 90% of the time and 10% of the time he hates me.  The only reason he hates me is I talk a lot of crap, you know what I'm sayin?".  Says other than that, "we have fun, I joke with him, he jokes with me...never a dull moment, never had any tension between the two..everything's been cool, it's been fun though."  Asks if Allen deserved the MVP this year he said in a "well Duh" tone of voice "yeah! he was dominant!"

[I definitely have the impression that McKenzie can be the 'sand in the vasoline' at times, talking major crap to his offensive teammates, but that they roll their eyes and roll with it]

Said he hopes to be back with the Bills, that's where his heart is.  Says he's not all about money, he wants a good situation for him and "money will come with that".  He feels he's shown his worth and if somebody values him more than another team "it is what it is."  Says he wants to be part of a good team and he feels the Bills have that, but at the same time he's not gonna take anything just to be back there.

I have the impression if he gets a multiyear deal from Buffalo with some reasonable guaranteed money, he might be back even if he gets a somewhat higher deal somewhere else but he won't sign a 1 year minimum unless he has no other choices.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That recruiting story is very common. So many kids going through it alone or with family members who don’t have the kid’s best interest at heart. If they have really good coaches, they will sometimes take them on the visits. 

I thought it showed McKenzie had a bit of a level head - "OK, I don't have anyone helping me, but that guy over there has a whole entourage asking questions and looking under rocks everywhere they go, and they're steering him towards Georgia so...."

• 2 weeks later...

If I’m the GM I keep McKenzie or I sign Samuel or both. I am assuming they dump Brown. Roberts I think will last 1 more year. They need to groom a slot replacement for Cole now to be the FT starter in 3 years. No one knows what we have in Hodgkins. This team needs 5 solid full time WRs because of all the passing we do. We need speed !!

Edited by Locomark