Re-sign or “wave good-bye” series: Player 6 - Isaiah McKenzie

YoloinOhio

WR Isaiah McKenzie  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or wave good-bye?

• Offer whatever it takes to keep him
    • Make an offer, but if he gets one elsewhere that exceeds the value the team has assessed on him, let him walk
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

I'd keep him over Andre Roberts. That said I'm on record wanting to keep Brown.  By keeping Brown, I let both McKenzie and Roberts go.  They can find a DB to be the KO/PR guy.

He barely saw the field in the playoffs when the top 4 WRs were all hurt.  That tells me he is gone. However if they decide to part ways with Brown and Roberts then my guess is they will make a play to keep McKenzie.  

Edited by Ethan in Portland

10 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

He could be the kick and punt return man if they decide to keep him.

I don't see a fringe player asking for the moon in this climate/market/cap crunch

He could replace Roberts & Brown for a fraction of the money. I think if used properly he could be much more than the gadget sweep guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I was torn between voting for #1 or #2. I settled for #2, but I personally would be inclined to give a little extra if it meant he stayed.

Cut Brown and let Davis and McKenzie pick up the slack, like they did for the half a season that Brown missed. Several of those games we were really clicking on offense. You can use him as our kick and punt returner to validate paying a little extra for him.

I would like to keep him and I would like to expand his role with the team as a punt returner and kick-off returner. Roberts won't be back and McKenzie will become the versatile player McD likes to have in his roster. 

I'm not a cap numbers kind of guy, so I wouldn't know what his market will be. 

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd like to keep him. Seems to have good chemistry with the team, and seems under-utilized for what he is capable of doing. I'd keep him over Brown.

Gimmick plays sure- as soon as there is any contact, he is down. Gifted player who is extremely weak.

It was not a coincidence that after McKenzie had his best game he also wasn’t effective the next week or two. Isaiah is fast but doesn’t seem to be able to take the regular hits that come with playing considerable time.

I wonder if the Bills will look for a later round smaller back with speed and pass catching ability to fill in for some of McKenzies edge rushes?

All McKittrick does is make plays.  "Fringe player"?  Dude had 6 TD's this year, behind only Josh, Stef, and Gabe.  I couldn't find the number of first downs he had, but he was likely among the team leaders there as well.  He's more than a gadget player, but he's the 5th WR, so he's limited in the number of snaps.  But when he's in the game, he produces like a mofo.  We need more guys like him, guys that make plays on a regular basis.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

All McKittrick does is make plays.  "Fringe player"?  Dude had 6 TD's this year, behind only Josh, Stef, and Gabe.  I couldn't find the number of first downs he had, but he was likely among the team leaders there as well.  He's more than a gadget player, but he's the 5th WR, so he's limited in the number of snaps.  But when he's in the game, he produces like a mofo.  We need more guys like him, guys that make plays on a regular basis.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2020_advanced.htm you can see First downs here.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It was not a coincidence that after McKenzie had his best game he also wasn’t effective the next week or two. Isaiah is fast but doesn’t seem to be able to take the regular hits that come with playing considerable time.

I wonder if the Bills will look for a later round smaller back with speed and pass catching ability to fill in for some of McKenzies edge rushes?

I'm unclear on what you mean by "McKenzie's edge rushes"?  Not aware of McKenzie being used as a rusher at all, edge or otherwise.

I don't think it's clear that McKenzie "wasn't effective the next week or two" because he "doesn't seem able to take the regular hits with playing considerable time".  McKenzie had a great game against Miami and went out with an ankle injury.  He appeared on the injury report.  Any player can get a specific injury that limits them the next week.

Possibly with Cole Beasley's broken fibula, his role may have shifted to "on standby to replace Cole in case he couldn't hold out".   Possibly the ankle limited his playing time in the Colts game.  When a guy's trademark is elusiveness and speed, obviously an ankle will hobble him more.

But through the regular season, except for the Miami game, McKenzie saw 21% of the offensive snaps (7%-44%).  His usage in the playoffs mirrored that 7%-21% of the snaps. 

I think that's just how Daboll sees his role in the playbook/offensive scheme.

If he comes relatively cheap (like just a few million dollars per year), I'd bring him back, but he's a guy I'm hoping we can upgrade via the draft. The jet sweeps and stuff are an important piece of the offense, but we need someone that's more effective at other WR-things than McKenzie is IMO. A guy like Kadarius Toney or Rondale Moore would be a suitable replacement.

15 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Keep and get him on the field more often.  The dude makes plays in his limited action.  

He doesn't have a great 40 but he's fast and shifty on the field. 

Question: What's a "great 40" to you? 

McKenzie ran a 4.42 (and had a 36" vertical jump).  It's not John Brown but it's probably the 2nd fastest on the offense 

Andre Roberts, regarded as a speedster, 4.46.  Stefon Diggs, 4.46.  Cole Beasley, 4.49.  Gabriel Davis 4.54.  Isaiah Hodgins, 4.61.  Kumerow, 4.54.  Taiwan Jones faster at 4.33 but he's apparently there to be the gunner.  Kenny Stills slightly faster 4.38. 

I think he's within measurement error of being a damn fast guy.

His problem is that he's a Beasley-size guy without the surgical precision that helps Beasley undress coverage on routes over the middle.  So he can be jammed and pressed and taken away.

14 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Useful and reliable.  I would make a fair offer to keep him.  As others stated his kick return value is a bonus. 

18 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McKenzie is a tricky one. Every team needs a gadget receiver these days. I just don’t know what the market value is for a guy like McKenzie.

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Probably going to have to let him walk, some other team is going to offer him WR4 money in the 3ish million range and the Bills have Hodgins waiting in the wings.

Curious

1) what you guys think is "a fair offer"

2) why @billsfan89 believes WR4 money to be $3M-ish?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: What's a "great 40" to you? 

McKenzie ran a 4.42 (and had a 36" vertical jump).  It's not John Brown but it's probably the 2nd fastest on the offense 

Andre Roberts, regarded as a speedster, 4.46.  Stefon Diggs, 4.46.  Cole Beasley, 4.49.  Gabriel Davis 4.54.  Isaiah Hodgins, 4.61.  Kumerow, 4.54.  Taiwan Jones faster at 4.33 but he's apparently there to be the gunner.  Kenny Stills slightly faster 4.38. 

I think he's within measurement error of being a damn fast guy.

His problem is that he's a Beasley-size guy without the surgical precision that helps Beasley undress coverage on routes over the middle.  So he can be jammed and pressed and taken away.

Curious

1) what you guys think is "a fair offer"

2) why @billsfan89 believes WR4 money to be $3M-ish?

Great speed to me is the 4.3 guys and below.  

McKenzie, Roberts, Diggs and Beasley are fast.  

The guys in the 4.2's are at another level.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm unclear on what you mean by "McKenzie's edge rushes"?  Not aware of McKenzie being used as a rusher at all, edge or otherwise.

I don't think it's clear that McKenzie "wasn't effective the next week or two" because he "doesn't seem able to take the regular hits with playing considerable time".  McKenzie had a great game against Miami and went out with an ankle injury.  He appeared on the injury report.  Any player can get a specific injury that limits them the next week.

Possibly with Cole Beasley's broken fibula, his role may have shifted to "on standby to replace Cole in case he couldn't hold out".   Possibly the ankle limited his playing time in the Colts game.  When a guy's trademark is elusiveness and speed, obviously an ankle will hobble him more.

But through the regular season, except for the Miami game, McKenzie saw 21% of the offensive snaps (7%-44%).  His usage in the playoffs mirrored that 7%-21% of the snaps. 

I think that's just how Daboll sees his role in the playbook/offensive scheme.

I am referring to the jet sweeps which were used. These were, for me at least, the most effective rushing attempts around the edge of the defense. None of the Bills back possess speed to take a pitch from the backfield and get to the edge. I understand that some of these sweeps by McKenzie were listed as passes due to the nature of being a forward toss by JA.

I am a UGA fan and really wish McKenzie could be the returner and then the gadget guy on offense. I just do not have a ton of confidence he can be that guy. Whether it be an issue going back to college with fumbles on returns, or durability; McKenzie has his limitations. 

No issue with Isiah.

He'll want more than I'd be willing to pay, I guess that makes him expendable. I think he's probably replaceable to save money. You have to look somewhere to save money given the current contract and salary cap situation. Though I have no idea what he wants and what his market value would be 🙈