Re-sign or “wave good-bye” series: Player 6 - Isaiah McKenzie

YoloinOhio

WR Isaiah McKenzie  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or wave good-bye?

• Offer whatever it takes to keep him
    • Make an offer, but if he gets one elsewhere that exceeds the value the team has assessed on him, let him walk
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mckenzie Aka McKittrick aka lil Dirty is a UFA. He will be 26 in April. In 2020 regular season he played in 16 games with 7 starts. He played in 26 percent of offensive snaps and 3 percent of ST snaps. He had 30 catches on 34 targets for 282 yards and 5 TDs. He had 1 drop. He also threw for a TD, had a punt return TD and scored a TD In the AFCCG. He was on a 1 year deal in 2020 for 962k, after the Bills declined to tender him as an RFA.  

I do not see where to find his market value, if anyone sees that please post.

Spotrac doesn't do market value on guys like him apparently.  Too difficult to evaluate, would be my guess.

I looked on the NFL receiving list to find a couple guys with similar production.  Interestingly, he's right next to Cameron Brate - same catch %, same targets, same yards.  Brate signed a contract for 6 yr/$40M with $6.5M salary next year.  I don't see the Bills going for that.   

Basically at WR, he's got a level of production where you see young guys on minimum salary or vets on "prove it" deals.  He's probably more valuable to the team than that shows, because of his KR/PR potential and his gadget plays.  IMO he took a step towards becoming a more complete WR this year, but he's not going to beat out Diggs, Brown, Beasley or Davis for playing time.

If the Bills want to get faster, you would think he's a guy they want to keep, especially if we part with Brown but he's also the same problem - he can be canceled by physical coverage.

I picked make him an offer at the value the Bills have on him but if someone else offers him more, let him go.

Edit: FWIW https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/espn-buffalo-bills-pay-up-re-sign-isaiah-mckenzie/

quotes Bill Barnwell of ESPN+ as saying

The guess for McKenzie is that he signs a three-year, $10 million deal with the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I love Isaiah.  Great locker room guy that has proven he can be a great backup for Cole in the slot, be a great weapon and decoy with the jet motion.  He can run or catch out of the jet and his speed is something the defense has to worry about. 

Considering Robert’s contract is up and is 32.  I’d like to kill two birds with one stone and not waste another roster spot in a guy that only plays on punt and kick returns.  If Robert’s had value as a gunner or a wr, I’d be all for keeping him, but he doesn’t.  He’s a one trick pony.  While he has one good trick, mckenzie is improving on his 3 different tricks.  Returns, receiving and jet motion plays.  

the question is, what’ll he cost?

3 years 9 mill should get it done? Is that too much or will someone give him more.  I think that’s the real question with a lot of our free agents.....what will they cost?

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McKenzie is a tricky one. Every team needs a gadget receiver these days. I just don’t know what the market value is for a guy like McKenzie. 

You think he’s a one trick pony huh?  I think Robert’s is a one trick pony. He’s a returner and that’s all.

mckenzie can be a good backup In the slot, he destroyed the vaunted Miami secondary.  He brings value on the jet motion and can be one of the best returners in the league as long as he’s cleaned up his fumbling issues.  I don’t think that’s being a one trick pony

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Considering Robert’s contract is up and is 32.  I’d like to kill two birds with one stone and not waste another roster spot in a guy that only plays on punt and kick returns.  If Robert’s had value as a gunner or a wr, I’d be all for keeping him, but he doesn’t.  He’s a one trick pony.  While he has one good trick, mckenzie is improving on his 3 different tricks.  Returns, receiving and jet motion plays.  

I'm with you here. Its a tough call too, as Roberts was really good at times this season. Let's also notionally consider that John Brown getting traded or cut could be a factor here too. One guy that can do all three of these slots is a huge bonus.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no problems if they want to offer him something in the 2 year range - not much money - and let him fight for a roster spot.

I love the way he is our gadget guy when scouting teams - like being Hill or Jackson, but they barely use him on offense and I think you have some better guys up and coming.

If he gets a better offer - let him go, but I think he is well liked and has a limited role.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I love Isaiah.  Great locker room guy that has proven he can be a great backup for Cole in the slot, be a great weapon and decoy with the jet motion.  He can run or catch out of the jet and his speed is something the defense has to worry about. 

the question is, what’ll he cost?

3 years 9 mill should get it done? Is that too much or will someone give him more.  I think that’s the real question with a lot of our free agents.....what will they cost?

You think he’s a one trick pony huh?  I think Robert’s is a one trick pony. He’s a returner and that’s all.

mckenzie can be a good backup In the slot, he destroyed the vaunted Miami secondary.  He brings value on the jet motion and can be one of the best returners in the league as long as he’s cleaned up his fumbling issues.  I don’t think that’s being a one trick pony

Haha— I just said the decision as to whether to sign him will be “tricky,” not that he is a “one trick pony.” 

I agree McKenzie brings more to the table than one thing—good gadget guy, good WR depth, good ST player (though his track record of fumbles and bobbles is a major concern). 

to me, the big issue isn’t Roberts vs McKenzie. It is whether there is a cheaper replacement to McKenzie. It seems like the market tends to get flooded with similar speedy slot guys. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Haha— I just said the decision as to whether to sign him will be “tricky,” not that he is a “one trick pony.” 

I agree McKenzie brings more to the table than one thing—good gadget guy, good WR depth, good ST player (though his track record of fumbles and bobbles is a major concern). 

to me, the big issue isn’t Roberts vs McKenzie. It is whether there is a cheaper replacement to McKenzie. It seems like the market tends to get flooded with similar speedy slot guys. 

Bwahahaha!!!  I’m useless without my readers. How did I get so old so fast!! 👴🏻

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

There are some nice players available too. With more on the way id guess. 
Mckenzie might have played himself into a nicer contract than we can afford. Which is also good for recruiting new players who want a chance to establish themselves 

Edited by Rc2catch

Keep and get him on the field more often.  The dude makes plays in his limited action.  

He doesn't have a great 40 but he's fast and shifty on the field.  

Him and Beasley in the slot and Davis/Diggs on the outside....I think that's a good package (that's what she said).  If we keeps Stills, he can just be on our vertical packages.

• Like (+1) 2

I say keep him and wave bye-bye to Roberts and Brown. I always wanted to see McKenzie returns punts more often. I like Roberts but he doesn't have the joystick type moves most punt returners have. Yes Roberts runs with a full head of steam but it seems like he picks a gap and runs for it no matter what, and with his size it works on kickoff returns most of the time. But I think McKenzie has a better chance of breaking one often enough to keep him at a reasonable price. 

-One more thing i agree with Ticketssince61. He was under utilized. I remember the next man up philosophy. What happened to that when Brown went down. It seemed like he could have been in there for Brown more to stretch the field but I don't remember him doing that much. 

Edited by wagne591
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

I felt that he was under utilized on the Bills - he was the fastest guy on the offense and they needed to find a way to get him more involved

I always though Daboll loved him though and still do think that. Things seemed to trail off in the playoffs, possibly due to the defenses they played but otherwise Daboll used him a lot 

• Like (+1) 1

A "McKenzie-like-player" is an integral cog in Daboll's offense.  In fact, I was pretty baffled as we ended the year and no longer had him running those motion sweeps consistently... so maybe I should have said "was an integral cog..." Maybe abandoning that was a bad idea.

Keep McKenzie as that guy on offense and as the punt and kick returner.

Let the overpaid Andre Roberts walk.

I imagine McKenzie is cheaper than Roberts, anyway.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Keep and get him on the field more often.  The dude makes plays in his limited action.  

He doesn't have a great 40 but he's fast and shifty on the field.  

Him and Beasley in the slot and Davis/Diggs on the outside....I think that's a good package (that's what she said).  If we keeps Stills, he can just be on our vertical packages.

Stills is a free agent

He is a keeper period!  I think he would be a great slot wr, and he is young 25.  He also makes Roberts expandable, and Roberts is not as good as a weapon on offense.  Definitely sign him to a 3 to 4 year contract!  I would give him 5 million a year!

7 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

He could be the kick and punt return man if they decide to keep him.

I don't see a fringe player asking for the moon in this climate/market/cap crunch

You know I love what Roberts did for us, and he’s a value player, but McKenzie could be that Swiss Army knife.  He’s a better WR, can return, probably not as good as a 31 yr. old, and has almost looked like a RB on reverses, and even played CB in a pinch.

Roberts is a couple million, and if we get a decent return and reliable back up WR, and a gadget guy, who even can back up in a pinch CB, why let that go?  I truly believe of the coaches put Stills and him in the game at KC, maybe there would’ve been more openings for Allen.  It’s all hindsight, but the coaches should’ve known the limitations of our guys.  Maybe the same outcome, but two healthy guys out there could’ve done something.  It’s not just the KC game, but an example that a guy in a pinch as Roberts isn’t that guy as seen in the Titans game.

Please know I always was a proponent prior to the year for Roberts, but he is a luxury.  Just my opinion, but I want versatility, and he would be cheap.

• Agree 3