Re-sign or “wave good-bye” series: Player 6 - Isaiah McKenzie

YoloinOhio

WR Isaiah McKenzie  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or wave good-bye?

• Offer whatever it takes to keep him
    • Make an offer, but if he gets one elsewhere that exceeds the value the team has assessed on him, let him walk
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

Mckenzie Aka McKittrick aka lil Dirty is a UFA. He will be 26 in April. In 2020 regular season he played in 16 games with 7 starts. He played in 26 percent of offensive snaps and 3 percent of ST snaps. He had 30 catches on 34 targets for 282 yards and 5 TDs. He had 1 drop. He also threw for a TD, had a punt return TD and scored a TD In the AFCCG. He was on a 1 year deal in 2020 for 962k, after the Bills declined to tender him as an RFA.  

I do not see where to find his market value, if anyone sees that please post. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Re-sign or “wave good-bye” series: Player 6 - Isaiah McKenzie
1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

He could be the kick and punt return man if they decide to keep him.

I don't see a fringe player asking for the moon in this climate/market/cap crunch

I’m coming around to feeling more comfortable with the KR/PR duties but I still prefer Andre Roberts. He didn’t have a TD and he made a few mistakes this year but he’s still very valuable when it comes to his role and field position. If McKenzie did end up replacing him, I wouldn’t cry, but think I’d still prefer roberts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m coming around to feeling more comfortable with the KR/PR duties but I still prefer Andre Roberts. He didn’t have a TD and he made a few mistakes this year but he’s still very valuable when it comes to his role and field position. If McKenzie did end up replacing him, I wouldn’t cry, but think I’d still prefer roberts. 

With a 225m cap Andre gets another year I think.

With a 175/180m cap I think 33 yr old kick and punt returners are a luxury that's unaffordable

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

With a 225m cap Andre gets another year I think.

With a 175/180m cap I think 33 yr old kick and punt returners are a luxury that's unaffordable

They probably need to keep at least one of these guys unless that draft someone who can do both and do both well. I do not want to see roberts out there for any meaningful snaps as a WR but I’m good with McKenzie out there at any time. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I would like to have him back in the fold. He offers a lot with those trick plays, as a #4 WR, and in the return game. I think he could eventually take over for Beasley in the slot a couple years down the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's more a matter of him not wanting to sign w/ us.  He's a solid contributor here, as a 4th or 5th WR.  One can't afford to pay a 5th WR well.  Further, I would suspect someone desperate to upgrade their WR position would see his productivity here & think he's got a (good) chance of being a significant contributor for them & of course offer him commensurate pay.

As for KR, I think he could be good & therefore worthy more $.  I'd be hesitant to let him return punts as I think he'd be a noticeable downgrade relative to Roberts WRT fielding the ball.

56 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

He could be the kick and punt return man if they decide to keep him.

I don't see a fringe player asking for the moon in this climate/market/cap crunch

While I see him willing to come back he might sign for another team closer to home or his business in Florida if offers are equal.

• Agree 2

Another thing to consider— is Tanner Gentry a possible replacement for McKenzie? Gentry is probably a touch slower, but may actually have more of an ability to play both inside and outside as a receiver. 

Also, seems like the draft is flooded every year with very similar receivers who are taken in the 5th-7th rounds. 5’9; 180 pounds; 4.45 40’s.  For example, McKenzie was a 5th rounder; Ray Ray a 7th rounder; and Antonio Brown a 6th rounder (though I don’t think anyone expected AB to develop into such a complete receiver). 

• Agree 1

I-Mac is a useful part of the offense, we should of course try to keep him. 

Go Bills!!!

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Also, seems like the draft is flooded every year with very similar receivers who are taken in the 5th-7th rounds. 5’9; 180 pounds; 4.45 40’s.  For example, McKenzie was a 5th rounder; Ray Ray a 7th rounder; and Antonio Brown a 6th rounder (though I don’t think anyone expected AB to develop into such a complete receiver). 

Or a complete doofus. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Special K said:

Not that I don’t like Roberts, but if the Bills could only keep McKenzie or Roberts, I’d choose McKenzie.

agree, McKenzie offers more options: return guy, is a solid receiving option, and an effective Jet Sweep guy

Unpopular opinion but I picked don’t offer and let him walk. 
I like the guy, but I do think he’s really limited outside of just being a speedy player. He generally never makes anyone miss as a runner. 
I think it’s actually really easy to replace him at the lowest of contract levels. 

Couple guys I’d like to target who won’t break the bank..  Kalif Raymond some may remember from the titans game. Speedy guy. 
Mickens from Tampa. 
Jojo Natson coming off ACL. 
Deandrew white. 
Not sure all those guys can return outside mickens and natson but I like them all in the gadget kinda role McKenzie plays. 

• Like (+1) 1