Has anyone here lived in the same town or state their whole life?

Another Fan

6 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

and there's a "Golden Arches" wherever you go...

This is not true. I am extremely fortunate for the experiences I have encountered in traveling this wide world due to my jobs. I tried to make sure all were memorable in one way or another.

I have been to a few places where there were no dining ‘chains’. All food was at local establishments. These are places I remember specifically because of this and we are actively searching these locations to spend part of the year. 
These places are international but not remote...but they are expensive. We both speak languages other than English so that helps.

Buffalo

Florida (college)

Texas (training)

Central Valley California

USS Kitty Hawk

San Francisco Bay Area

Raleigh NC

St. Charles Il (far west Chicago suburb)

Charlottesville VA

Kitty Hawk was the most interesting, but fortunatley I was able to get off of it for a couple house every day.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, DefenseWins said:

and there's a "Golden Arches" wherever you go... 

No there's not, although those places are getting harder and harder to find.

I've been to many places that are hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from McSchitts.  (Here's a photo taken on Rarotonga, Cook Islands.  One of my favourite places to holiday.)

sign-at-muri-beach 3.jpg

My path?

Born and raised near Rochester.

Went to college in upstate NY

Moved to Colorado in 1990, where I spent 10 years.  (Met my wife and had our son there.)

Moved to beautiful Washington State where I spent 5 years. (Daughter born there.)

Moved to New Zealand (South Island) 15 years ago and have never looked back.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/14/2021 at 1:16 AM, DefenseWins said:

and there's a "Golden Arches" wherever you go... not to mention hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, terrorist attacks in bigger cities, sharks in the oceans... just to name a few... Be careful what you wish for...

There are risk everywhere.  It's just that mine doesn't include heart attack while shoveling snow.  LOL

On 2/15/2021 at 4:18 PM, Chef Jim said:

There are risk everywhere.  It's just that mine doesn't include heart attack while shoveling snow.  LOL

Try living down in Texas where apparently icy roads have millions without power at the moment. Maye they need to buy some road salt! I haven't had any heart attacks in my 67 yrs living here. 

On 2/11/2021 at 4:40 PM, Chef Jim said:

It's a big beautiful world out there.  Nothing personal but a lot of it is much more beautiful than WNY.  

Ah yes I knew would not be able to resist taking a shot at WNY in this thread.  I have been to California many times and just have never understood the superiority complex people that live there have.  It is kind of the same complex that NYC people have.  You know the one.  "I am better than you because I live here."  My friend moved to orange County 3 years ago.  I have went to visit him 4 times so far and I could honestly say the best part of LA is that it is only a 40 minute flight to Vegas.  I have been to NYC many times and they have nothing on the traffic in LA.  We went to Santa Monica Pier one afternoon, I want to say it was about 20 miles from my friends townhouse.  We didnt time it very well when we left as headed home around 3:30 or on a Thursday.  It took us over 2 hours to get home.  Socal to me is dirty grungy place.  The housing prices are ridiculous.  Houses that push a million dollars there you could find nicer houses here on the east side of buffalo.  The homes in the suburbs of WNY blow anything Calif has unless your talking about $1 million + homes.  

I don't even think there is much to do there.  The ocean looks cold and dirty, plus they got big things that could eat you in that ocean.  I go out to see my friend and we always wrap that trip around a trip to vegas and when I get to Calif I find myself counting down the days to I get to Vegas because I just hate it there so much.  I will give it to you the weather blows the weather out anywhere else in the country but what else do they have going for them?   High taxes, ridiculous property values, wild fires, smog, dirty, oveercrowded,  & I wont even get into the political stuff.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and no place is perfect.  Keep that in mind next time you take a shot at WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

The homes in the suburbs of WNY blow anything Calif has unless your talking about $1 million + homes.  

People are finding they can move out of the big cities and get a better quality of life.  I wonder how long until companies start decreasing salaries of these people since their standard of living cost have gone down. 

In pandemic, NYC families discover homes in CNY: ‘I couldn’t imagine a more magical place to live’ - newyorkupstate.com

If you asked Pollack and her husband Andrew Guenther last July, they would have said they were never leaving New York City.

Now, they are among many families who have traded in the congestion and cost of New York City for more affordable, more spacious homes in Central New York during the Covid-19 pandemic. The pandemic has changed the way people in many industries can work remotely, proving that they don’t have to live in New York City to do the same jobs.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:18 PM, Chef Jim said:

Ever hear of a snowblower?  If you're disabled or lazy, you can always hired somebody to clean your driveway and sidewalk.

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

People are finding they can move out of the big cities and get a better quality of life.  I wonder how long until companies start decreasing salaries of these people since their standard of living cost have gone down. 

In pandemic, NYC families discover homes in CNY: ‘I couldn’t imagine a more magical place to live’ - newyorkupstate.com

This isn't really anything new.  People working in the NYC area have been doing this for decades.  When I lived in Albany back in the late 1980s through most of the 1990s, people were commuting to the city from as far north as Hudson which is about 30 miles south of Albany and has an AMTRAK station.

19 hours ago, SoTier said:

Ever hear of a snowblower?  If you're disabled or lazy, you can always hired somebody to clean your driveway and sidewalk.

Lighten up Francis.  :rolleyes:

After High School

College in Hyde Park NY then....

Miami FL

Long Beach CA

West Hollywood CA

Back to Long Beach CA

Aliso Viejo CA

San Francisco CA

Oakland CA

Laguna Niguel CA and next year retiring to....

Indio CA

Edited by Chef Jim

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.