Is it a buyers market this year....salary cap related (update with Chase Edmond quote)

Hebert19

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not on his own, no. But he's a lot better than you're saying here, and it shows. The whole defense is elevated when Milano's playing. He doesn't deserve top pass rushing LB $, but he absolutely deserves to be in the $11 - $13M a year range, and I'm hoping they can sign him with a smaller hit this year and more guaranteed money down the road.

IMO they'd love to get him back, but injuries are a legit concern with him.

No chance we have a shot a pass rushing free agent if we pay Milano that kind of money

It may be but if these players want more money than a team is willing to give they could be in a bit of trouble this is where the FO will have to pull out all the stops as far as playing the games they do with signing bonuses and all .

I wish all of the contracts were done on a performance based idea because a lot of teams like Seattle, the Saints are strapped with the big money the QB gets it's crazy .

Brady gave Tampa a restructured deal i guess so the team could keep better players & i wondered if Josh would be that guy for the Bills ?

I often wonder just how much is too much when it comes to pay for these guys then there are those that complain that it's not near enough money ???

• Hebert19 changed the title to Is it a buyers market this year....salary cap related (update with Chase Edmond quote)
On 2/10/2021 at 1:07 PM, Rc2catch said:

I think it will be a lot of shorter deals. 
Given the financial instability going forward and not knowing when fans can fill stadiums I think teams will try as many 1 year deals as possible. But I think there’s enough teams with money that the top 5-10 at each position still get paid. For me it looks like a fantastic bargain shopper offseason. We should be used to looking for mid to low tiered free agents who hopefully have untapped potential or coming off injury. 

I agree.  We will see a lot of bargain 1 year deals for good free agents.  They’ll want to hit FA next offseason when teams have money to spend.  Top players won’t see much of a hit though.  They will get their high dollar multi year deals with low first year cap hits just the same.  

I think we will see some teams get creative too.  Three or four year deals that are really one year bargain deals with options for high dollar 2-3 extensions will probably happen too.  No real harm for either side in going that route and that type of structure would reduce the first year cap hit.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:28 AM, nucci said:

Probably should wait until they announce the cap number.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/nfl-salary-cap-might-not-crash-after-all

I worked through this scenario months ago.  It makes some sense to smooth out the cap, but it has one serious flaw - the teams in position to capitalize on it.  For every Philadelphia there’s a Washington.  You think that after the Saints dominating the NFCS for 4 years that the other teams in that division don’t want to see them crippled for a few seasons?  This is a selfish play by the teams way over the cap to help themselves out.  There’s no real concern for the players or the league.  The decrease should be manageable for the vast majority of teams so I do not see much happening with this. 

I’d like to see the Bills try to improve, to me that often times means letting your guys go and getting better players in.  Milano, buh-bye, he stands out here because the LBs on this roster are fringe back ups. The entire D line could be rolled over as well. Outside of Oliver, they are older guys, who under performed, not the guys who are going to be in demand anywhere.  I’d have no issue with 3 new starters on the DL.  Oliver needs to step up or step out pretty soon though (don’t start, he’s barely played at a starting level, unacceptable for a top 10 pick).

in an ideal world the DL can be shaken up, go after a real Edge guy, hopefully snag Watt, get back star or adequately replace him, lose all the dead weight. Hughes to me is past his prime, I’d have no issue if he’s back or not, Addison was a flash in the pan, decent start to the year, invisible late, I honestly don’t even remember the name of the guy we signed from Seattle, he was that good, so there’s a LOT of improvement to be made.

• Agree 1

On 2/11/2021 at 5:47 AM, ColeB said:

Yeah, I remember when they signed Poyer and Hyde to be the starting safeties.  I had a WTF response.

in retrospect, it was a sign these guys knew what they were doing.

Just for the record Hyde and Poyer were signed by McD and Whaley not Beane. Beane is the guy that overpaid for Murphy, Morse, and Star. Beane did well to add Feliciano but he paid $4 million more for Spencer Long. The Williams signing was great. Beasley and Brown too. Addison, Butler, and Jefferson all underperformed their contracts. 
Beane got Allen and that probably all that matters. His record in free agency is average at best. He earns far better grades with the trades he has made.

• Eyeroll 1

On 2/10/2021 at 6:00 PM, Hebert19 said:

With less money to go around you would have to assume there will be some creative deals struck and the price of some of the FAs will go down.

There are few teams with lots of money to spend and there are quite a number of premium FAs so is it possible:

1.  that some will go with longer term backend loaded deals to provide security since they can't get top dollar this year.   Find a contender to commit to...

2.  More FAs will take shorter term deals so that they can re up sooner when cap is better?  

3.  The tier 2 FAs will have a tough time finding a job at what is perceived 'market value

Just an interesting twist on the "we don't have any money to spend" argument.  Might this be the year where you can get the FA you want by creative deal structure rather than what you can pay this year?

What are your thoughts?   

I think #2 and #3 are kind of the same thing. The 1st tier guys will sign and get their money and the teams will find ways to make the accounting work (which is what the cap is, it's an accounting regulation). Tier 2 FAs will find themselves having to take short 1 and 2 year deals IMO where they play for below their perceived worth in 2021. Tier 3 or "dust settles" FAs will find themselves close to vet minimum or sitting out. 

On 2/10/2021 at 10:07 AM, Rc2catch said:

I think it will be a lot of shorter deals. 
Given the financial instability going forward and not knowing when fans can fill stadiums I think teams will try as many 1 year deals as possible. But I think there’s enough teams with money that the top 5-10 at each position still get paid. For me it looks like a fantastic bargain shopper offseason. We should be used to looking for mid to low tiered free agents who hopefully have untapped potential or coming off injury. 

Interesting article on TBD home page on this Carl Lawson as potentially a better DE option than Watt.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/12/2021 at 10:35 AM, T master said:

It may be but if these players want more money than a team is willing to give they could be in a bit of trouble this is where the FO will have to pull out all the stops as far as playing the games they do with signing bonuses and all .

I wish all of the contracts were done on a performance based idea because a lot of teams like Seattle, the Saints are strapped with the big money the QB gets it's crazy .

Brady gave Tampa a restructured deal i guess so the team could keep better players & i wondered if Josh would be that guy for the Bills ?

I often wonder just how much is too much when it comes to pay for these guys then there are those that complain that it's not near enough money ???

A team hits the “to much” point when the QBs pay prevents the team from having enough other talent to win it all, it is really quite simple, some day teams will figure this out, maybe... 

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Just for the record Hyde and Poyer were signed by McD and Whaley not Beane. Beane is the guy that overpaid for Murphy, Morse, and Star. Beane did well to add Feliciano but he paid $4 million more for Spencer Long. The Williams signing was great. Beasley and Brown too. Addison, Butler, and Jefferson all underperformed their contracts. 
Beane got Allen and that probably all that matters. His record in free agency is average at best. He earns far better grades with the trades he has made.

Oh, so you’re saying that he’s a GM that hits on some and misses on some.  Just like every GM.  Only difference is, Beanes team made the final 4

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Oh, so you’re saying that he’s a GM that hits on some and misses on some.  Just like every GM.  Only difference is, Beanes team made the final 4

Just pointing out facts. Beane wasn’t the GM for many of the moves people are giving “them” credit for making.

Yes. He got Allen and Diggs. And he has made some good and bad moves in free agency. But every GM does.  People on this board seem to think he is infailible and only remember the moves that work. He wastes a few more draft picks than I like moving up in the draft, but he also drafts for need which I favor. 
Yes they made the final 4 but now the cap space is mostly gone and that is before Allen has been extended. There are plenty of moves that can be made to clear space, and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 45 days. 
He has professed draft well and sign your own but so far that has only applied to White and Dawkins(McD and Whaley picks). Now he is poised to let Milano walk. 

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Just pointing out facts. Beane wasn’t the GM for many of the moves people are giving “them” credit for making.

Yes. He got Allen and Diggs. And he has made some good and bad moves in free agency. But every GM does.  People on this board seem to think he is infailible and only remember the moves that work. He wastes a few more draft picks than I like moving up in the draft, but he also drafts for need which I favor. 
Yes they made the final 4 but now the cap space is mostly gone and that is before Allen has been extended. There are plenty of moves that can be made to clear space, and it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 45 days. 
He has professed draft well and sign your own but so far that has only applied to White and Dawkins(McD and Whaley picks). Now he is poised to let Milano walk. 

So you’re saying?......

He’s overrated?

He’s just another GM?

He should be replaced?

everything he’s done has led a franchise that hadn’t made the playoffs for almost 20 years, to: the AFCCG, 3 playoff appearances in 4 years, and elite franchise QB, being a destination for ring chasers.

He’s done a great job and just like every other great GM in history....has a history of failures to go along with his success.  

He might not be the best GM in the league....and that’s Ok

On 2/10/2021 at 8:00 PM, Hebert19 said:

With less money to go around you would have to assume there will be some creative deals struck and the price of some of the FAs will go down.

There are few teams with lots of money to spend and there are quite a number of premium FAs so is it possible:

1.  that some will go with longer term backend loaded deals to provide security since they can't get top dollar this year.   Find a contender to commit to...

2.  More FAs will take shorter term deals so that they can re up sooner when cap is better?  

3.  The tier 2 FAs will have a tough time finding a job at what is perceived 'market value

Just an interesting twist on the "we don't have any money to spend" argument.  Might this be the year where you can get the FA you want by creative deal structure rather than what you can pay this year?

What are your thoughts?   

Plus teams especially the Bills will coveat players that were cut because they won't affect the comp formula.

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Interesting article on TBD home page on this Carl Lawson as potentially a better DE option than Watt.

He’s my number one pass rusher target.  Should command an Addison type contract with quadruple the qb pressures. Sign me up.  He AND watt would be formidable, but we would have to cut Jerry along with the other 3 DL we signed last year.

lawson is young and plays Jerrys position.  Not sure if they’d be ideal playing opposite each other.  But both would be ideal playing opposite Watt.  Jerry is my dude and I don’t want to see him go, but landing both of these guys would be spectacular and worth cutting Jerry for imo. 

On 2/10/2021 at 9:35 PM, Rc2catch said:

Some of our best finds have been bargains hunts. Darryl Williams is a prime example of that. Even Feliciano. 
Jordan Poyer years ago. Guys that didn’t break the bank to sign and not many were familiar with. There’s going to be a lot of veterans out there this year if teams have to make a lot of cuts for salary

The players I believe fit this mold and I believe the Bills will show interest in amongst others. 

G/T - Denzel Good

DE- Carl Lawson

RB- D'Onta Foreman

RB - Marlon Mack

Wr- John Ross 

FS- Malik Hooker

DT- Kawan Short 

DE- Aldon Smith

DE- Everson Griffen

I'm not saying we'll add them all of course just feel like well add a couple of these guys.