Is it a buyers market this year....salary cap related (update with Chase Edmond quote)

Hebert19

With less money to go around you would have to assume there will be some creative deals struck and the price of some of the FAs will go down.

There are few teams with lots of money to spend and there are quite a number of premium FAs so is it possible:

1.  that some will go with longer term backend loaded deals to provide security since they can't get top dollar this year.   Find a contender to commit to...

2.  More FAs will take shorter term deals so that they can re up sooner when cap is better?  

3.  The tier 2 FAs will have a tough time finding a job at what is perceived 'market value

Just an interesting twist on the "we don't have any money to spend" argument.  Might this be the year where you can get the FA you want by creative deal structure rather than what you can pay this year?

What are your thoughts?   

Edited by Hebert19
  • Like (+1) 1

I think it will be a lot of shorter deals. 
Given the financial instability going forward and not knowing when fans can fill stadiums I think teams will try as many 1 year deals as possible. But I think there’s enough teams with money that the top 5-10 at each position still get paid. For me it looks like a fantastic bargain shopper offseason. We should be used to looking for mid to low tiered free agents who hopefully have untapped potential or coming off injury. 

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it will be a lot of shorter deals. 
Given the financial instability going forward and not knowing when fans can fill stadiums I think teams will try as many 1 year deals as possible. But I think there’s enough teams with money that the top 5-10 at each position still get paid. For me it looks like a fantastic bargain shopper offseason. We should be used to looking for mid to low tiered free agents who hopefully have untapped potential or coming off injury. 

Ya.  Thats a good call out.  Typical beane moves will be in abundance this year.  Easy to find depth and cut some that haven't been performing. 

I think it bodes well for us. It has been a loooong time since this has been true, but being one of the elite teams (with a great QB) I could see Buffalo being a top destination for guys wanting to do 1-2 year prove-it deals. Lots of exposure and a high probability of a playoff run.

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

With less money to go around you would have to assume there will be some creative deals struck and the price of some of the FAs will go down.

There are few teams with lots of money to spend and there are quite a number of premium FAs so is it possible:

1.  that some will go with longer term backend loaded deals to provide security since they can't get top dollar this year.   Find a contender to commit to...

2.  More FAs will take shorter term deals so that they can re up sooner when cap is better?  

3.  The tier 2 FAs will have a tough time finding a job at what is perceived 'market value

Just an interesting twist on the "we don't have any money to spend" argument.  Might this be the year where you can get the FA you want by creative deal structure rather than what you can pay this year?

What are your thoughts?   

It would seem as if all of your points are accurate, especially #3 imo.

I think that many teams will take advantage of the rookie cap and cut veteran players to do so. This btw will probably include the Bills

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Ya.  Thats a good call out.  Typical beane moves will be in abundance this year.  Easy to find depth and cut some that haven't been performing. 

Some of our best finds have been bargains hunts. Darryl Williams is a prime example of that. Even Feliciano. 
Jordan Poyer years ago. Guys that didn’t break the bank to sign and not many were familiar with. There’s going to be a lot of veterans out there this year if teams have to make a lot of cuts for salary

Good topic. I was thinking about this a couple days ago in relation to Yolo’s ongoing threads about Bills FAs. I looked at spotrac which shows 12 teams currently over the projected cap. 

My thinking is that teams may find it easier to keep the FAs they want as well. I can’t see mongo getting over $8 mil as spotrac projected. They don’t adjust their projections based on a lower cap. The most interesting will be Milano.  

Certainly there are teams with significant cap space and they will be in the catbird seat this year. 

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

What are your thoughts?   

Probably all of the above, and a TON of #2, across the league and especially with the Bills. That just seems like our style, even in a more normal year. 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

What are your thoughts?   

Beane needs to make some cuts and not overpay Milano who is an average to good LB,  he is not going to carry you to wins on his own with game breaking plays

6 hours ago, TPS said:

Good topic. I was thinking about this a couple days ago in relation to Yolo’s ongoing threads about Bills FAs. I looked at spotrac which shows 12 teams currently over the projected cap. 

My thinking is that teams may find it easier to keep the FAs they want as well. I can’t see mongo getting over $8 mil as spotrac projected. They don’t adjust their projections based on a lower cap. The most interesting will be Milano.  

Certainly there are teams with significant cap space and they will be in the catbird seat this year. 

This is a good call out.  Milano and Mongo are good but not the top tier so they may not see the upside in open market they may think.  1 year deal to stay here and test waters next year. 

TE, OLB/MLB, and DE (like a real pass rusher, i suppose a DT could do, but we need DE) are more available in FA than they will be for years to come.

I'd really like bean and co to step up and bring those guys in, restructuring and cutting guys, and we can be a better running, blocking, passing, tackling, covering, and pass rushing team with the right moves and a lot of luck

14 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beane needs to make some cuts and not overpay Milano who is an average to good LB,  he is not going to carry you to wins on his own with game breaking plays

Not on his own, no. But he's a lot better than you're saying here, and it shows. The whole defense is elevated when Milano's playing. He doesn't deserve top pass rushing LB $, but he absolutely deserves to be in the $11 - $13M a year range, and I'm hoping they can sign him with a smaller hit this year and more guaranteed money down the road.

IMO they'd love to get him back, but injuries are a legit concern with him.

Edited by Thurman#1

18 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Some of our best finds have been bargains hunts. Darryl Williams is a prime example of that. Even Feliciano. 
Jordan Poyer years ago. Guys that didn’t break the bank to sign and not many were familiar with. There’s going to be a lot of veterans out there this year if teams have to make a lot of cuts for salary

Yeah, I remember when they signed Poyer and Hyde to be the starting safeties.  I had a WTF response.

in retrospect, it was a sign these guys knew what they were doing.

5 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Yeah, I remember when they signed Poyer and Hyde to be the starting safeties.  I had a WTF response.

Exactly 

i refuse to believe that there aren’t a couple of young stud linebackers waiting in the wings somewhere on other teams that wouldn’t jump at the chance to be playing in January or February. 

It's a buyers market this year and probably next year.  I think teams are going to be very conservative until the league is confident fans can resume attending games in person.  3/4 of the league may be in yard sale mode.  

22 minutes ago, ColeB said:

I definitely knew who Hyde was and I was excited for that one. If I remember correctly he played mostly slot corner in Green Bay. Poyer though.. I had no clue he could be a starter or who he was.  I still don’t think he’s overly great (thought this year was definitely his best) but he’s been a solid starter. 

I remember the first day of NHL Free agency in October. With a few exceptions, free Agents were signing quickly for short deals way belowall over the league. After a few days it was clear guys wanted a chair before the music stopped and they were frozen out.  In hockey at least some mid level Europeans can return home as there are other leagues I can see a similar situation this year in the NFL.  Also think Bills can be an attractive destination for a player looking to get a ring, something we aren't used to.