Nepotism is alive in NFL

Punching Bag

10 hours ago, zonabb said:

Imagine thinking that being the child of a successful person should disqualify you for a job. That's the argument here. 

I don't think that is the argument at all. The argument is it shouldn't automatically qualify you for a job. 

For what it is worth on Kubiak's kid, I actually see a guy who until his dad got the Broncos HC job had forged his career separately. Did being Kubiak's son still help? Sure, but I suspect he is probably a capable guy in his own right. Contrast Jeff Fisher's son who never worked anywhere other than where daddy took him and as soon as 7-9 Jeff was done never worked in the league again. It isn't all coaches son's are unqualified hacks who should be disqualified from jobs. It is that not all of them are talented guys who have earned them either.

Edited by GunnerBill

18 hours ago, StHustle said:

It's like this in ever facet of prime positions. People will often show favoritism for those in their family...moreover their kids. Its common knowledge its now about what you know but who you know. Just the way the world works and don't hold your breath waiting on a change.

Hopefully my proctologist didn't get the job just because her mom was a doctor.

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Of course we also have the professional cheaters signings, the Reids, the Ryans, the Shanahans, the Moras, the Schottenheimers, the Carrolls, etc. and not just due to laws making it more difficult to get family members to testify against family matters against their will.

Some will say the family members get a lot of experience others will not get for they help their fathers as effectively unpaid interns but when they are employed they seem to rise in level very fast getting opportunities coaches with more experience get.

Another family member has been promoted up the chain:

Gary Kubiak has retired to his ranch in Texas, his son has been signed as OC.

https://www.pro32.ap.org/article/klint-kubiak-moves-vikings-oc-after-dads-retirement

Let's have a thread about a part of our society, or perhaps any society, industry, etc. where nepotism is NOT prevalent.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

First of all who you know is alive and well everywhere in every type of job.  Second, an NFL coach's son is probably pretty smart when it comes to football.  Imagine being tought the X's and O's from an NFL coach since they were a young kid.

Definitely helps. I am the son of a pro soccer player, and then a very high level semi-pro soccer coach. I was a pretty rubbish semi-pro player myself but a pretty successful semi-pro coach because I had been in locker rooms from the age of 6 or 7 and learned the game a different way to the way you just do through playing it. And I did, shock horror, take my first assistant coach job working for my old man. But I only did that for a year and then moved to a completely different part of the country for my real job and had to work and claw my way up in London semi-pro soccer based entirely on my own merits. So I feel like I have sort of seen both sides of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, aristocrat said:

he's been coaching for about a decade for different teams in both college and nfl.  if he didnt have talent he wouldn't move up. 

And teams arent hiring thesse guys for no reason... their success is intertwined, if theyre comfortable flying or sinking with him, then hes the right hire.  This isnt a CEO handing a position over to some dumb kid of his, much different.  Put it this way, is anyone crying nepotism about Patrick Surtain ii coming out this year? No? Exactly

6 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

And teams arent hiring thesse guys for no reason... their success is intertwined, if theyre comfortable flying or sinking with him, then hes the right hire.  This isnt a CEO handing a position over to some dumb kid of his, much different.  Put it this way, is anyone crying nepotism about Patrick Surtain ii coming out this year? No? Exactly

Coaches have almost complete coaches of coaching staff unless they were hired with understanding that some coaches would remain.

Even when they hire incompetent coaches (or just one like Wade Phillips) front office cannot make coach fire them in most cases unless they do something which makes team/NFL look bad (drugs, drinking, DV, etc).

I find this an odd practice for a position in which salary is guaranteed. 

It would be better if coach had a budget and needed to pay all of the coaches out of that budget including coaches cut but some would try to keep as much of the money for himself and hire cheapest coaches as possible.

• Agree 1