Nepotism is alive in NFL

Punching Bag

Sometimes you get really good coaches out of family bloodlines.

-Kyle Shanahan is a heck of a coach and so was his dad.

-John Harbaugh is a heck of a coach and so was his dad. You might say the same about his brother, Jim Harbaugh.

-Wade Phillips was a good defensive coach and so was his dad.

If I hired someone at work and they did a great job and they had a son ... sure, I'd be inclined to try to double-dip. You probably would too.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Every single Village job does it in the United States so why can’t the NFL. 

True but this would be a much bigger discussion. It’s why some people what things like the Rooney rule (it is flawed and nepotism is probably the bigger issue).  

I was raised by a single mom who did everything for my brother and I. But when I went to Canisius, I was one of the poorer kids in the school. It was hard watching the kids with the most money, who got worse grades and in more trouble, just be fine because they had daddy to bail them out. Things worked out for me but I do think this recycling of coaches hurts the product. Think about the wildcard and offenses now. They could have been in the league well before they became popular but you have the same recycled coaches who are afraid to try things new. 

like why should Belichick’s weirdo son get a shot than a guy who has proven himself at other levels? I think that does hurt the product a bit.

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

Sometimes you get really good coaches out of family bloodlines.

-Kyle Shanahan is a heck of a coach and so was his dad.

-John Harbaugh is a heck of a coach and so was his dad. You might say the same about his brother, Jim Harbaugh.

-Wade Phillips was a good defensive coach and so was his dad.

If I hired someone at work and they did a great job and they had a son ... sure, I'd be inclined to try to double-dip. You probably would too.

True and but couldn’t there be other bloodlines out there who just haven’t been given a chance?

todd Haley was a golfer at 3 colleges. Never played or coach football at any level. Daddy was in the Steelers got him a job. 

and yes, I’m totally jealous! Though I would never want to coach. That sucks. 

• Agree 2

Don't think for a minute teams always hire the "best" candidate or GM.  They don't.  They are often manipulated and steered to certain candidates by consultants and coaching agents. 

In no universe, including all of the parallel ones where strange things happen, has any NFL team said they were lucky to pick Adam Gase because he was the best choice.

Juan Castillo's agent is the greatest agent of all time in any sport.  There is absolutely no one better at accomplishing the mission of getting their client a job.  That man has been a nightmare of a coach at so many professional stops yet gets jobs with ease, sometimes the very next year after being fired. 

Edited by dpberr
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Of course we also have the professional cheaters signings, the Reids, the Ryans, the Shanahans, the Moras, the Schottenheimers, the Carrolls, etc. and not just due to laws making it more difficult to get family members to testify against family matters against their will.

Some will say the family members get a lot of experience others will not get for they help their fathers as effectively unpaid interns but when they are employed they seem to rise in level very fast getting opportunities coaches with more experience get.

Another family member has been promoted up the chain:

Gary Kubiak has retired to his ranch in Texas, his son has been signed as OC.

https://www.pro32.ap.org/article/klint-kubiak-moves-vikings-oc-after-dads-retirement

I hate to break it to ya....but nepotism is alive in every field/occupation.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Of course we also have the professional cheaters signings, the Reids, the Ryans, the Shanahans, the Moras, the Schottenheimers, the Carrolls, etc. and not just due to laws making it more difficult to get family members to testify against family matters against their will.

Some will say the family members get a lot of experience others will not get for they help their fathers as effectively unpaid interns but when they are employed they seem to rise in level very fast getting opportunities coaches with more experience get.

https://www.pro32.ap.org/article/klint-kubiak-moves-vikings-oc-after-dads-retirement

I really think this is one of the reasons that the league has a problem with diversity. It is hard to get a job in the NFL no matter your race unless you have a father who is in that position. It is rampant. Steve Belicheck is another example.

• Agree 1

In the business I helped run for a few decades, we tried to implement an anti nepotism rule in hiring on the salary side of the business..  (of course, the union already had that in their contract, nothing to be done about that...we had to hire from a referal list and that was all their kids.)  But, we got sued quick enough and lost in court...you cannot have an anti-neopotism requirement in hiring.  It would infringe on the rights of those "related" job candidates.  So much for good intentions.

• Simon changed the title to Nepotism is alive in NFL
3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

This is one of the main reasons the Rooney Rule was put in place.  Obviously, this stuff still goes on, though.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

A lot of them are good coaches, though. Even Rex took his team to two AFC Championship games.

Idc what anyone says. Rex was a defensive guru , I think his defense requires very detailed skillsets for alot of positions , for them to be successful and that's the problem with the scheme but that's a helluva accomplishment,  especially with Sanchez as your QB. 

Anyone saying that a coaches son or family member doesn't have an advantage over other coaches is lieing to themselves 

5 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Coaching I can somewhat understand, but It feels wrong.......

BUT, Referees???   The Ed/Shawn Hochuli Referee Dynasty really chaps my hide.  The senior Hochuli was an embarrassment to the game of football, and now we get stuck with his spawn for decades to come.  

As long as we don't have any Walt jrs popping up or Phil Luckett's grandson?

2 hours ago, zonabb said:

Imagine thinking that being the child of a successful person should disqualify you for a job. That's the argument here. 

That's right, if your dad worked hard to provide for your family, and you try to do the same you are an ####### and should never have a job. 

Edited by uticaclub

Like it or not, Nepotism is part of the human condition. Being that we humans are all tribal when push comes to shove. It should surprise no-one, ever..,

• Agree 1