Nepotism is alive in NFL

Punching Bag

Of course we also have the professional cheaters signings, the Reids, the Ryans, the Shanahans, the Moras, the Schottenheimers, the Carrolls, etc. and not just due to laws making it more difficult to get family members to testify against family matters against their will.

Some will say the family members get a lot of experience others will not get for they help their fathers as effectively unpaid interns but when they are employed they seem to rise in level very fast getting opportunities coaches with more experience get.

Another family member has been promoted up the chain:

Gary Kubiak has retired to his ranch in Texas, his son has been signed as OC.

https://www.pro32.ap.org/article/klint-kubiak-moves-vikings-oc-after-dads-retirement

• Eyeroll 2

It's like this in ever facet of prime positions. People will often show favoritism for those in their family...moreover their kids. Its common knowledge its now about what you know but who you know. Just the way the world works and don't hold your breath waiting on a change.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Unless Kubiak promoted his son prior to retiring, this isn't nepotism.

Technically correct, but I think it's a bit of a "nit" here. 

The topical point is that coaching in the NFL is still a very "old boys network", closed circle where former assistants of "big names" and "big name" children have a huge advantage in the hiring market.

And thats 1) quite possibly, not the best way to hire the best coaches 2) a situation that makes it very difficult for people without those connections to get a foot in the door and get fairly considered for a job for which they could, in fact, be better qualified.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Coaching I can somewhat understand, but It feels wrong.......

BUT, Referees???   The Ed/Shawn Hochuli Referee Dynasty really chaps my hide.  The senior Hochuli was an embarrassment to the game of football, and now we get stuck with his spawn for decades to come.  

On the bright side they have sick biceps

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It’s been like this for a long time. Reid’s kid who just got in a car accident was crackhead and he had a job on one of the best teams in the nfl.  

I think it’s total BS and I feel bad for the coaches who grind away at lower levels trying to work their way up but have no chance because their dad wasn’t connected to a nfl franchise. But stuff like this will never change. It’s a shame because the same garbage coaches get recycled over and over again. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

A lot of them are good coaches, though. Even Rex took his team to two AFC Championship games.

True but it’s a lot easier to get there if you are given the chance in the first place. Rob Ryan absolutely sucks yet keep gets hired while some guy will never get a first chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

True but it’s a lot easier to get there if you are given the chance in the first place. Rob Ryan absolutely sucks yet keep gets hired while some guy will never get a first chance. 

It's like that in a lot of industries. It's not usually about what you know, but who you know.

This thread should be renamed grow up and welcome to the real world.

And yes I think growing up son of an NFL coach is a tremendous "natural" advantage.....your father can impart a lot of knowledge and wisdom on you.  And if nothing else they see the rigour and hours it takes to be a successful coach.   Being a coaches kid is not some utopia, fathers gone for hours if not days at a time, soemtimes it helps the kid get some discipline, some times it leads to incredible dysfunction.  I wonder if he could do it all over again would Andy Reid have sacrificed effectively his family for his job?  Talk about a shattered life he must have.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Coaching is the family business for some of these guys. I think its a lot easier to want to be a coach if your dad was one. Who here grew up and wanted to be coach?

Correct. Being a coach is like second nature to a lot of them.  Kids look up to their parents, many follow in the career path of their parents, makes total sense.