Is Russell Wilson The Next QB To Be On The Move - Tensions Seem To Be Growing

H2o

There have been a few reports about how the Seahawks almost traded Wilson in 2018, with the pick supposedly going to be Josh Allen. Now you have multiple reports about Wilson being frustrated over not being involved in personnel decisions. These stories are starting to gain some steam after Russell Wilson's interview the other day. There is also talk of how he is a bit frustrated with how Pete Carroll wants the offense structured. Is this another relationship headed in a direction beyond possible repair? Below you will find a couple of links with quoted excerpts. You will need to read the full stories to get the complete context, but Russ sounds like he may be looking to chef it up somewhere else imo. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30868595/russell-wilson-frustrated-getting-hit-too-much-wants-more-say-seattle-seahawks-moves

"And I think that the reality of professional sports is things happen, things change. I'm not sure how long I'll play in Seattle. I think, hopefully, it can be forever. But things change, obviously, along the way. I think you focus on what you can control every day and try to be the best version of yourself and ultimately try to win championships. I think that's why I play this game."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/09/brandon-marshall-says-russell-wilson-is-beyond-frustrated-with-seahawks/

“Russell Wilson is beyond frustrated. I think Russell Wilson is trying to figure out how to move on in a classy way. That’s what I truly believe.,” Marshall said. “… He’s trying to leave the legacy that he did things the right way so other guys can follow that same blueprint. So I think he struggles with how to move on in a classy way, in a way where people can look at him and say you know what, he still did it the right way. Because that’s important for Russ.”

Edited by H2o

I don’t know, I think given Carroll’s age they’d just fire him if it really came down to it. 
In this scenario I can see Wilson having more flex in the organization. 
I can’t see any scenario where he is actually moved but I’ve been shocked before. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

There have been a few reports about how the Seahawks almost traded Wilson in 2018, with the pick supposedly going to be Josh Allen. Now you have multiple reports about Wilson being frustrated over not being involved in personnel decisions. These stories are starting to gain some steam after Russell Wilson's interview the other day. There is also talk of how he is a bit frustrated with how Pete Carroll wants the offense structured. Is this another relationship headed in a direction beyond possible repair? Below you will find a couple of links with quoted excerpts. You will need to read the full stories to get the complete context, but Russ sounds like he may be looking to chef it up somewhere else imo. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30868595/russell-wilson-frustrated-getting-hit-too-much-wants-more-say-seattle-seahawks-moves

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/09/brandon-marshall-says-russell-wilson-is-beyond-frustrated-with-seahawks/

no

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

What does a player contract mean? 

Trading a player under contract is usually disadvantageous to the trading team if there is a generous signing bonus the team has to eat.  The more recent the signing, the more disadvantageous.

Seems to me that if teams start letting key players under contract force trades whenever they have a difference of opinion, contracts will start having little meaning to  teams.

The owners gotta see this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many SB contender caliber teams right now are looking for a Franchise QB?  

Which of them are better (roster) than, say, Seattle or Green Bay?

San Francisco (won’t happen for obvious reasons) 

Indianapolis

New Orleans (Cap space will make it nearly impossible) 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What does a player contract mean? 

Trading a player under contract is usually disadvantageous to the trading team if there is a generous signing bonus the team has to eat.  The more recent the signing, the more disadvantageous.

Seems to me that if teams start letting key players under contract force trades whenever they have a difference of opinion, contracts will start having little meaning to  teams.

The owners gotta see this.

I agree. It's almost starting to feel NBA-esque to me as this has been going on in that league for years now. The problem is if you give an inch they take a mile and the players are starting to act as if they are the CEO instead of an employee. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

H2O, one thing I like is you try and provide thoughtful threads, so thank you.  You also don’t just say what if, what if that?

ive read and heard the same from a variety of sources.  I don’t know how real these points are as it is a stretch to see Wilson, a franchise guy who you’d assume there is some serious deadcap $ with him.

He might be just wrangling or his agent to have more input on strategy.  I just don’t know as it’s not normal like the GB thing with Rodgers to think he’s going anywhere.  You might be onto something, but again thanks for the thread.  Definitely worth hearing discussions.  The other part is in a Covid cap world this year, that’s a big swallow for his contract.  I think it’s around $35 mil. Per year.

• Like (+1) 1

the NFL Man of Year and face of the franchise on the move ?  not likely, more like off-season fodder being recycled ? 

More interested in the Watson-Hou issue which s on the front burner...signed the big extension less than a year ago with a NTC clause, now wants out cuz he wanted input-status of the front office hirings, and based on what went down with Obrien trading Hopkins and picks galore...so the team is within its legal rights to ignore the request, but ultimately will Watson play hardball and skip OTAs/virtual meetings/workouts...becoming a big players league like the NBA ?

Looking at his contract, he got paid $50m+ in cash in 2020.  He’s only slated to make $19m in cash in 2021.  I know, poor him but  that’s a really poorly constructed contract from the standpoint of incentivizing the player.  Instead of a $65m signing bonus split over the first 2 years, put in guaranteed roster bonuses that spread what is paid to the player more evenly each year.  Human nature for a guy like Wilson to say I’m not getting my head beat in for $19m, which is fringe starter money for a QB.  

I don't understand how Wilson and by extension Watson can be frustrated with not being let in on decisions that are made above their head.  They aren't the ones running the franchise, it's not their money on the line.  What qualifies them to have their input heard over the other players on the team and other personnel people that have an expertise in this sort of thing?  Since they aren't necessarily qualified to be making these decisions and aren't financing things, why should they get a say?  To me, it just seems that being unhappy about this sort of thing is really egotistical

• Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Looking at his contract, he got paid $50m+ in cash in 2020.  He’s only slated to make $19m in cash in 2021.  I know, poor him but  that’s a really poorly constructed contract from the standpoint of incentivizing the player.  Instead of a $65m signing bonus split over the first 2 years, put in guaranteed roster bonuses that spread what is paid to the player more evenly each year.  Human nature for a guy like Wilson to say I’m not getting my head beat in for $19m, which is fringe starter money for a QB.  

That is exactly issue.  Players are trying to have their signing bonus and eat it too.  

And more the teams move money to front, more the players who attempt to take the money and run.

Barry Sanders did it with a 6 year extension with large bonus for the time and then retired soon after.

Then each year he would say "maybe I would unretire" and if any year Lions did not have the money to sign he could have unretired, Lions not have cap space and be forced to trade him or let him go.

21 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

I don't understand how Wilson and by extension Watson can be frustrated with not being let in on decisions that are made above their head.  They aren't the ones running the franchise, it's not their money on the line.  What qualifies them to have their input heard over the other players on the team and other personnel people that have an expertise in this sort of thing?  Since they aren't necessarily qualified to be making these decisions and aren't financing things, why should they get a say?  To me, it just seems that being unhappy about this sort of thing is really egotistical

I don’t look at as egotistical, more like leverage.  Like it or not it’s a QB driven league so they’re the ones who have it. And if he has issues with taking too many hits and doesn’t feel like he’s being listened to, they’ll surely be listening now.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

He's not going anywhere. But he did get smashed a lot this year. 

He gets smashed a lot every year.  He was sacked 146 times the last 3 years and led the NFL with 51 in 2018. He has been sacked 394 times in 144 games, nearly 3 per game.  Wilson and Deshaun Watson are 2 of the most sacked QBs in NFL history going by sack percentage. Watson is at 9.05% and Wilson is at 8.33%