Mark Cuban Pulls the Plug on the National Anthem

Much like Covid, there is no end to "systemic racism."  

Maybe one day my grandkids will see that day.  My kids are in the thick of this great battle.  It makes me so proud to know when they come home from school and tell me only 1/3 of their classes stand for the pledge.  Their classmates are so brave.  So maybe one day the sacrifice will pay off.  And implicit bi....I mean systemic racism will end.  

But until then, we will selectively pick when it's time to honor the Country that provides the opportunity to gather together for 2 to 3 hours every so often to watch millionaires compete at the highest levels of their game, and for us to be in awe of those competitions, and to totally forget about all the bull s..t we deal with day to day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I can honestly take or leave the anthem before games. When you think about it, it is a bit odd. A football game is not a government sponsored event, like a public school day. You don’t have the pledge, or the anthem prior to a Broadway show or a rock concert. 

No question. Hope this starts a trend.

Save the anthems for the championships and national team events (Olympics, World Cup, etc.)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 716er said:

No question. Hope this starts a trend.

Save the anthems for the championships and national team events (Olympics, World Cup, etc.)

During the NHL playoffs when i hear that wonderful songs two or three times a day it gets old. It is a nice touch at sports events, but it gets done too much 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't notice.  I've never understood that while the size of the average male b-ball player evolved from 5'6" in 1890 to 6'5" in 2021, the hoop remains at 10'.  I get that there can be some periodic excitement--and one of the few things I've actually witnessed was LeBron's rejection off the backboard a few years ago that was epic, but I'm surprised that the average score doesn't run around 175-200.   

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I wouldn't notice.  I've never understood that while the size of the average male b-ball player evolved from 5'6" in 1890 to 6'5" in 2021, the hoop remains at 10'.  I get that there can be some periodic excitement--and one of the few things I've actually witnessed was LeBron's rejection off the backboard a few years ago that was epic, but I'm surprised that the average score doesn't run around 175-200.   

I couldn’t agree more! Every time I see a slam dunk as the Play of the Day on SportsCenter, I always say “big deal”.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I couldn’t agree more! Every time I see a slam dunk as the Play of the Day on SportsCenter, I always say “big deal”.

My son likes the Warriors and a couple times he has encouraged me to watch with him.  The rainbow three pointers from way out are kinda cool, but the rest of it seems to be "squeak squeak squeak dunk pass dunk" and then in the last couple minutes it's "squeak squeak squeak pass foul squeak foul pass foul steal foul".  

In fairness I tapped out on baseball when I was a kid.  I wish I could get into these games more, but they bore me to tears.  It's probably me. 

The NBA's revenue dropped 10% to $8.3 billion for the 2019-20 season amid losses because of the coronavirus pandemic, according to financial numbers shared with teams and obtained by ESPN

NBA's loss of China revenue estimated to exceed $200 million for season.

League ratings for the 2020 postseason were down 37 percent from last year and 49 percent from the 2019 NBA Finals.

If it was covid shouldn't TV ratings skyrocket?

Go woke go broke.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/10/2021 at 8:25 AM, SoCal Deek said:

I can honestly take or leave the anthem before games. When you think about it, it is a bit odd. A football game is not a government sponsored event, like a public school day. You don’t have the pledge, or the anthem prior to a Broadway show or a rock concert. 

I agree with this.  I always thought it was sort of odd.  I don't mind the playing of the anthem, and I personally wouldn't want to stop playing the song, but it is a bit . . . out of place.  

On 2/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

My son likes the Warriors and a couple times he has encouraged me to watch with him.  The rainbow three pointers from way out are kinda cool, but the rest of it seems to be "squeak squeak squeak dunk pass dunk" and then in the last couple minutes it's "squeak squeak squeak pass foul squeak foul pass foul steal foul".  

In fairness I tapped out on baseball when I was a kid.  I wish I could get into these games more, but they bore me to tears.  It's probably me. 

It's not you.  I can't watch it anymore. 

I used to think it was kind of cool to go to a football or basketball game and people were there from both teams rooting for their team in a hard fought battle.  But before it started, everyone would stand up and sing a song in unity. Then when it was over it was back to "your Mom wears Army boots".

But now it has become a circus and some sort of loyalty test. If you stand, it means you supports racism and all the ills in American history. If you sit, you hate America.

The most ridiculous being when the Steel Curtain stayed in the locker room but the guy who was a veteran came out on his own.

So now  I'm all for getting rid of it.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:16 PM, Big Blitz said:

Much like Covid, there is no end to "systemic racism."  

400 years. Thankfully we have you as the arbiter.

That blood in the wood of the ship's deck? That's the human property that laid in his own leftover for 90 days.

Edited by Thurmal34

On 2/12/2021 at 2:48 PM, SectionC3 said:

I agree with this.  I always thought it was sort of odd.  I don't mind the playing of the anthem, and I personally wouldn't want to stop playing the song, but it is a bit . . . out of place.  

It's not you.  I can't watch it anymore. 

I imagine you didn't watch last year's bubble playoffs. Right up until the finals (which really weren't competitive) it was fantastic basketball. The start of the regular season hasn't been up to the same standards, but that's typical. I don't watch much until the playoffs. If you missed the whole bubble restart and the ensuing playoffs, you missed some of the best entertainment out there since the COVID pandemic hit. Give it another try when we get to the playoffs again!

On 2/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Agreed. I had a friend from the UK tell me about the old days, meaning up until about the early 1970s. They played God Save the Queen before movies started. He just thought it was weird in retrospect, the theater all standing up while a recorded anthem played. But why was that weird while playing before a sporting event isn't?

I'll admit it: I kind of like the pomp and circumstance before major events. I would always go the MLB opening day - the huge flag unfurled on the field, the flyovers, the fireworks as we hit rocket's red glare ... but before ordinary events, it's more of a "where do I put my beer and hotdog so I can take off my cap." Not exactly an inspiring or patriotic display.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed. I had a friend from the UK tell me about the old days, meaning up until about the early 1970s. They played God Save the Queen before movies started. He just thought it was weird in retrospect, the theater all standing up while a recorded anthem played. But why was that weird while playing before a sporting event isn't?

I'll admit it: I kind of like the pomp and circumstance before major events. I would always go the MLB opening day - the huge flag unfurled on the field, the flyovers, the fireworks as we hit rocket's red glare ... but before ordinary events, it's more of a "where do I put my beer and hotdog so I can take off my cap." Not exactly an inspiring or patriotic display.

The oldest among us might recall that before cable, satellite, streaming, other methods of communication, and 24/7 broadcasting, network TV would "sign off" at night and then "sign on" in the morning.  First thing in the morning they'd play the National Anthem.