Bills’ 2021 strength of schedule ranks in the bottom half of the NFL

Maybe bookend games with Tampa?  Bucs home opponents: Bills, Dallas, NYG, Phins, Bears plus division. With Brees presumably retired, which game kicks off the season? I guess Dallas would be the odds-on favorite, but best match-up and likeliest SB preview would be the Bills. Begin and end the season against Marsha, I'd give up a loss in the first for a win in the last! 

Edited by Mariah
boo-boo

Maybe it’s silly, but for 2 years now, I was eying 2021 as the year to make a big jump and win 12 to 13 games, since we knew 14 of the 16 games. It has seemed like the easiest year in a long time to me. However, what I never expected was for us to win 13 this year, mainly based on the schedule. I thought we could win 9 or 10, and still be much better than 2019 despite the win total. So who knows how we’ll do in 2021 as we are certainly further ahead than I would’ve thought.

But at the same time, we all know that a schedule that looks easy beforehand doesn’t necessarily translate to an easy schedule once it starts playing out. But regardless, even if teams like Jax, Houston, Carolina, Jets, etc all take a step forward, after last year, I don’t really care. We proved we can beat good teams and stay in every game. So once again, I assume we will be playoff bound, barring injury, and get another shot to make a run and see where it goes. 

Edited by billsfan5121
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

Maybe it’s silly, but for 2 years now, I was eying 2021 as the year to make a big jump and win 12 to 13 games, since we knew 14 of the 16 games. It has seemed like the easiest year in a long time to me. However, what I never expected was for us to win 13 this year, mainly based on the schedule. I thought we could win 9 or 10, and still be much better than 2019 despite the win total. So who knows how we’ll do in 2021 as we are certainly further ahead than I would’ve thought.

But at the same time, we all know that a schedule that looks easy beforehand doesn’t necessarily translate to an easy schedule once it starts playing out. But regardless, even if teams like Jax, Houston, Carolina, Jets, etc all take a step forward, after last year, I don’t really care. We proved we can beat good teams and stay in every game. So once again, I assume we will be playoff bound, barring injury, and get another shot to make a run and see where it goes. 

I picked Buffalo for 9 wins.   But who knew how easy the 2020 schedule would pan out by the time the season started.

Jets, almost went 0-16

Dolphins, journey man/rookie QB carousal

Patriots, Covid opt outs, injuries and Newton.

49ers lost their whole roster

Broncos, We’re awful.

Thats 8 cupcake wins right there for any team with continuity.  

but didn’t see all those teams being as bad as they were when the games came along.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2021 at 6:14 PM, BuffaLoko said:

only 5? I can recall a 10-15 year period for many here predicting that fall out...😐

Oh yeah?

I go back further. I remember telling people Brady was a flash in the pan after the Patriots won their first SB and they then traded Bledsoe to us.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I picked Buffalo for 9 wins.   But who knew how easy the 2020 schedule would pan out by the time the season started.

Jets, almost went 0-16

Dolphins, journey man/rookie QB carousal

Patriots, Covid opt outs, injuries and Newton.

49ers lost their whole roster

Broncos, We’re awful.

Thats 8 cupcake wins right there for any team with continuity.  

but didn’t see all those teams being as bad as they were when the games came along.

the Bills had at least 2 opt outs.  

the Putrids had many more problems than that. 

I had 10 - 12 wins

now the low bar window is at least 12 wins 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

So this ranking is saying that all of our opponents in 2021 add up to a collective .480 win percentage in 2020?

Quantifying a 2021 strength of schedule based on 2020 data is not really relevant.

Teams go up and down quite a bit year to year. 

We won't know the real strength of our schedule until the season unfolds.

Last year we had the 5th hardest schedule coming into the season based on those metrics and we finished with the 5th hardest schedule after the regular season. 

There’s relevance for sure. I’ll admit it’s not always nearly that accurate but it can paint a solid picture of what’s to come. 

EDIT: I coulda swore I saw a year end ranking that had us still in the top 5-10 in SOS but now I can’t seem to find anything on it. My bad... I have, however, still found various ranking systems from sites that have us concluding the season in their top ten SOS standings but it’s not just based on opponent win% 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Nasty, by the end of the year we were rated as the 15th hardest schedule as things changed.  SF with all the injuries, Dolphins better, pats worse, and so on.

you were spot on prior to the year at 5th.  That’s not to diminish a great year at 13-3.  There’s no denying we played extremely well.  The upcoming year who knows.  So many questions on opponent QBS and teams overall.  For example the SB champs Bucs have a ton of URFAs.  They won’t be able to keep them all.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:00 PM, No_Matter_What said:

Like I said check out Tampa's schedule. They will be huge favorites for no. 1 seed in NFC.

2021 has Bills - Bucs SB written all over it.

I will take it a year later. I think we will be more ready for them this year.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Nasty, by the end of the year we were rated as the 15th hardest schedule as things changed.  SF with all the injuries, Dolphins better, pats worse, and so on.

you were spot on prior to the year at 5th.  That’s not to diminish a great year at 13-3.  There’s no denying we played extremely well.  The upcoming year who knows.  So many questions on opponent QBS and teams overall.  For example the SB champs Bucs have a ton of URFAs.  They won’t be able to keep them all.

Huh. I coulda swore I saw a year end SOS ranking that had us in the top ten still. I very well could be mistaken though. 

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Huh. I coulda swore I saw a year end SOS ranking that had us in the top ten still. I very well could be mistaken though. 

It’s no problem.  I posted right after the season a summary of two articles I read and they broke it down about their records.  I didn’t have the links at the time.  What is significant is we went 6-3 of teams who ended with winning records.  That was the most in the NFL.  Pitt., and KC had less.

For me, SOS is moving target so I’ll read in May what they write after the draft, but keep in perspective so many things change.  One example was SF went to the SB the year before, but with all of their injuries they ended up with a losing record.  The opposite is true of Miami.  5-11 in 2019, and 10-6 in 20.

On 2/9/2021 at 6:25 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

adversity?  

Did the Bills fold like Pittsburgh?

Or Green Bay to Tampa?

Or N’Awlins to Tampa?

The Bills were stomping the lesser teams by 30 ppg to close out the season.  

they had won against better teams by 10 ppg. 

3 regular season losses

2 were when Josh was injured and the Covid rescheduling and one was by a Hail Mary. 

We beat some tough teams this past season and went to the AFC Championship- not sure what you are talking about.

It gets proven every year but strength of schedule in the offseason is so dumb. Last year, the 49ers on the road look like an extremely tough game. 

the good news is the Bills have a team where it shouldn’t matter who they are playing because they are the better team on paper. 

9 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

We beat some tough teams this past season and went to the AFC Championship- not sure what you are talking about.

then you missed the point 

and as this is weeks old.  I’m not looking up the whole context to explain. 

The Bills only “folded” in the championship game.  
or just say Daboll did

18 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

then you missed the point 

and as this is weeks old.  I’m not looking up the whole context to explain. 

The Bills only “folded” in the championship game.  
or just say Daboll did

Agree to disagree- we didnt have our best game, thats for sure. That said, KCs back end D was a holding machine. Anyways, doesnt really matter. 

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Come on man.

The entire coaching staff and team sucked that day. McD coached scared. Daboll failed to make adjustments quickly enough, they had no answer for Mahomes/Kelce/Hill.

To blame Daboll and not McD who sucked that Sunday, is ridiculous. 

from you Scott.  Grain of salt 

you’ve been “kinder” but still the the glass half empty guy.  

Were that outmatched?  As outmatched as KC was to Tampa. 

me I’m enjoying the results and look forward to more improvements.   

• 2 months later...

Bump

How much changed in 3 months?   

bottom 10

22. Washington Football Team: 123-131-2 (.484)
T23. Buffalo Bills: 123-133-0 (.480)
T23. Denver Broncos: 122-132-2 (.480)

https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-ranks-bills-strength-schedule-151553668.html

Using a projection based on current rosters in the NFL, the analyst released strength of schedule numbers on Tuesday. In them, the entire AFC East fares well… but none better than the Bills.

I think this says 3rd 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce