Bills’ 2021 strength of schedule ranks in the bottom half of the NFL

This stuff does not matter.  Last offseason people were talking doom and gloom over how supposedly hard our schedule would be, and we finished 13-3.  as has occurred every year of NFL football, some teams you think will be good will not be (injuries, roster changes in free agency, etc.) and some you think will be bad will be better than you think (like the Fish this past year).  I just hope we're not one of those teams projected to be good but then slide back.

• Agree 1

this is interesting....for some reason, i was thinking 2021 was going to be more difficult than last year, playing a first place schedule, especially if they add the 17th game vs another nfc 1st place team

anyways, this data suggests otherwise....

looking at our opponents and anticipating several teams improving their records (jets, NE, TB, indy, car)

i'm going to say that 2021 will be very slightly easier by 2-3 total wins vs all opponents

BILLS 13-3 again

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Hallelujah!!!! 

How nice to have an “easier” schedule. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-2021-strength-schedule-ranks-123057995.html

top 5

Here’s the full breakdown of the NFL’s strength of schedule in 2021:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers: 143-111-2 (.563)
2. Baltimore Ravens: 142-112-2 (.559)
3. Chicago Bears: 141-114-1 (.553)
4. Detroit Lions: 138-116-2 (.543)
5. Cincinnati Bengals: 138-118-0 (.539)

bottom 10

22. Washington Football Team: 123-131-2 (.484)
T23. Buffalo Bills: 123-133-0 (.480)
T23. Denver Broncos: 122-132-2 (.480)
25. Atlanta Falcons: 122-133-1 (.479)
26. Miami Dolphins: 122-134-0 (.477)
27. New Orleans Saints: 120-135-1 (.471)
T28. New York Giants: 118-136-2 (.465)
T28. Indianapolis Colts: 119-137-0 (.465)
30. Dallas Cowboys: 115-139-2 (.453)
31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 115-140-1 (.451)
32. Philadelphia Eagles: 115-141-0 (.449)

** Subject to change pending 17-game season in 2021.

What uniform will the Bills be wearing?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I was looking at the opponents on BB.com the other day and it looks like only there are only  4 teams with a realistic chance of beating the Bills barring upsets.

Indy,Tampa,Titans and KC

So I am calling it 13-4 in our new 17 game schedule  :)

Since we have no idea who or where we play in game 17 (as opposed to 17th game) I think maybe you should call it 12-4-1.

• Haha (+1) 1

AE=32

AN=38.5 

AS =27

AW = 34

NE= 23.5

NN= 33

NS=  32

NW=  36

so buffalo played the toughest 2 division A+N combination

AN played the weakest total.

this year they play one of the weakest combinations.

any ranking has bias against the first place teams because of the weaker division records they play two times

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

28 of those losses are the NY Jets which makes the schedule look much easier.... still, I can’t imagine it will be anymore difficult than what we saw this year. 

Although I think the division will be improved all around.

The Jets probably won't be 2-14 again but I'd expect something similar to Miami two years ago...around 5 wins and a bit of a tougher out, but they still have talent issues all around.

I've fallen off the Miami bandwagon a bit given Flores' questionable coaching last season (and the fact Josh Allen owns them).  It will be hard for them to improve upon their 10-win season, in my opinion.

The Pats*** are a curious organization.  If they don't get a QB they'll be no better than a .500 team.

In sum, Miami will (I'm sure) get a lot of pre-season talk as a contender but if you're handicapping the division the Bills should be favored in all six division games in 2021.

• Thank you (+1) 1

A lot can and will happen between now and September to invalidate chunks of that historical data.   Free agency will be wild this offseason and IR type injuries will wipe teams chances out before October even starts, so there's that.   Every season stands on its own,

But hey, thanks for the numbers.... 

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

28 of those losses are the NY Jets which makes the schedule look much easier.... still, I can’t imagine it will be anymore difficult than what we saw this year. 

Although I think the division will be improved all around.

Yep. I don't put a lot of stock in strength of schedule because that was last year.

With the cap, free agency, and coaches moving around many of the teams have dramatic swings in competitiveness.

Far fewer have stable organizations with more predictable outcomes. I am also referring to predictably terrible too. Fans and owners are more quick to pull the plug on successive years of fail.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Since we have no idea who or where we play in game 17 (as opposed to 17th game) I think maybe you should call it 12-4-1.

NFCE winner(WFT) if they go by previous methods and history ;)

I figured that as a win ;)

On 2/9/2021 at 8:58 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Tampa Bay is 31? Like seriously? Like does Tom Brady do the scheduling too?

They had one of the hardest schedules in the league this year and made the AFC title game and they goto Tampa, KC, Tennessee, and New Orleans that’s enough tests 

Colts will get one of the QBs on the trade block, so they will be very tough. 

On 2/9/2021 at 3:14 PM, Buffalo Ballin said:

I think this is a bad thing because once we face adversity in the playoffs, we're not ready. We're still a young team and should be tested. We'll see. Time will tell. Each season is very different. The lack of strength in schedule may look like a cakewalk now (which I don't want), but when reality hits, each game is surprisingly close.

We get Tennessee and KC again. Win both this time and we will be ready to roll in the playoffs.

I don't think we are a 'young team' anymore. Even if we have some young players, for most all of them it will be their third consecutive year in the playoffs. And that includes a deep postseason run. Even the young guys are playing like veterans at that point.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:57 AM, eball said:

In sum, Miami will (I'm sure) get a lot of pre-season talk as a contender but if you're handicapping the division the Bills should be favored in all six division games in 2021.

This happens every year.  Heck, Peter King predicted they would win the division last year.  I guarantee someone at SI or ESPN will call them to be SB Champs.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:44 AM, billsherd said:

Miami has even easier schedule.

Tua. 🎤 

On 2/13/2021 at 7:53 AM, Philly McButterpants said:

This happens every year.  Heck, Peter King predicted they would win the division last year.  I guarantee someone at SI or ESPN will call them to be SB Champs.

2 guys at ESPN called a SB win for Buffalo 

FWIW

So this ranking is saying that all of our opponents in 2021 add up to a collective .480 win percentage in 2020?

Quantifying a 2021 strength of schedule based on 2020 data is not really relevant.

Teams go up and down quite a bit year to year. 

We won't know the real strength of our schedule until the season unfolds.