Early 2021-22 Schedule Thoughts & Primetime matchups

corta765

15 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why are you predicting fewer primetime games this year after closing as a top-4 team rather than a top-16 team?

Because some of last seasons primetime matchups were a result of the Bills playing West Coast. The Bills faced the 49ers on MNF rather then it being a 4 pm game and Denver in a quasi primetime Saturday spot the same way. As I put above for comparable the Texans and Titans after good runs in the 2019-2020 still only received 2-3 primetime games apiece. The Bills have routinely said they prefer that the Bills play at 1:00 pm at home because a good chunk of the fanbase travels anywhere from 1-3 hours to get to the game and that is the optimal spot. Last season the Bills had 2 primetime home games and rest 1:00 pm. Major difference was the West Coast where we were on primetime twice plus the Raiders and Cards at 4:00 pm. The Titans game was suppose to be a 1:00 pm Sunday matchup until COVID so the Bills literally had 5 of their 8 games be at more marquee times. Even if that falls to 3 games it still is a decrease that is semi inevitable. One last thing is that TV networks can protect games and with the Bills being with the Chiefs/Ravens as top in AFC they will want to protect some of those games to not all be night games.

I certainly could be wrong and kind of hope I am as I love the night games, but 2 home primetime games, 1-2 away primetime games, and 1-2 4:00pm matchups still is a healthy amount of marquee matchups. But look at their schedule and after Colts/Steelers/Chiefs/Bucs/& maybe Saints/Phins the rest is pretty light in terms of matchup and talent. Could be good and mean a 12-4 type season, but even with Trevor Lawrence the Jags aren't exactly must see TV.

13 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills will get two SNF games. 

I predict you'll see them five times during primetime.

2-SNF

2-MNF

1- TNF

I could see that and if that happens its probably Steelers/Colts/Bucs/Chiefs/AFCE team in some combo.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Because some of last seasons primetime matchups were a result of the Bills playing West Coast. The Bills faced the 49ers on MNF rather then it being a 4 pm game and Denver in a quasi primetime Saturday spot the same way. As I put above for comparable the Texans and Titans after good runs in the 2019-2020 still only received 2-3 primetime games apiece. The Bills have routinely said they prefer that the Bills play at 1:00 pm at home because a good chunk of the fanbase travels anywhere from 1-3 hours to get to the game and that is the optimal spot. Last season the Bills had 2 primetime home games and rest 1:00 pm. Major difference was the West Coast where we were on primetime twice plus the Raiders and Cards at 4:00 pm. The Titans game was suppose to be a 1:00 pm Sunday matchup until COVID so the Bills literally had 5 of their 8 games be at more marquee times. Even if that falls to 3 games it still is a decrease that is semi inevitable. One last thing is that TV networks can protect games and with the Bills being with the Chiefs/Ravens as top in AFC they will want to protect some of those games to not all be night games.

I certainly could be wrong and kind of hope I am as I love the night games, but 2 home primetime games, 1-2 away primetime games, and 1-2 4:00pm matchups still is a healthy amount of marquee matchups. But look at their schedule and after Colts/Steelers/Chiefs/Bucs/& maybe Saints/Phins the rest is pretty light in terms of matchup and talent. Could be good and mean a 12-4 type season, but even with Trevor Lawrence the Jags aren't exactly must see TV.

I could see that and if that happens its probably Steelers/Colts/Bucs/Chiefs/AFCE team in some combo.

The last two years it was the Bills and Steelers on SNF. Maybe SNF gets that matchup three years in a row. My guess is four primetime games when the schedule is released with the possibility of another one being flexed into primetime. I think the Bills and Dolphins is a solid bet for a primetime game since the Dolphins are the Bills biggest challenge in the division.

Just now, Greg S said:

The last two years it was the Bills and Steelers on SNF. Maybe SNF gets that matchup three years in a row. My guess is four primetime games when the schedule is released with the possibility of another one being flexed into primetime. I think the Bills and Dolphins is a solid bet for a primetime game since the Dolphins are the Bills biggest challenge in the division.

Yea I think Miami replaces the Patriots as our likely primetime division matchup. If they get Watson I could see both games being at night or at least 4:00 pm. Had the Jets got T-Law I'm sure they would've got like 4 primetime games, but even with Watson I am not sure it will be as high.

I have a feeling more games will be flexed this year or have the ability to. The NFL seems hellbent to help their broadcasts and truthfully a Lions v Eagles MNF game between two 4-7 teams should be moved if that is their record come December.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Yea I think Miami replaces the Patriots as our likely primetime division matchup. If they get Watson I could see both games being at night or at least 4:00 pm. Had the Jets got T-Law I'm sure they would've got like 4 primetime games, but even with Watson I am not sure it will be as high.

I have a feeling more games will be flexed this year or have the ability to. The NFL seems hellbent to help their broadcasts and truthfully a Lions v Eagles MNF game between two 4-7 teams should be moved if that is their record come December.

The Jets are coming off a 2-14 season. If Joe Douglas has a strong offseason and if they get Watson then I could see them getting a primetime game or two just because of their big market NYC status. The Giants who suck almost as bad as the Jets will definitely get primetime games. Big market team and they are one of the NFL "favorite franchises" given their long history in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Jets are coming off a 2-14 season. If Joe Douglas has a strong offseason and if they get Watson then I could see them getting a primetime game or two just because of their big market NYC status. The Giants who suck almost as bad as the Jets will definitely get primetime games. Big market team and they are one of the NFL "favorite franchises" given their long history in the NFL.

Yea it is annoying but I get it and its why Dallas plays a million games a year on national TV despite most of the time not being worthy of the game.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

Yea it is annoying but I get it and its why Dallas plays a million games a year on national TV despite most of the time not being worthy of the game.

That's why i could easily see the Cowboys playing in the kickoff game against Tampa Bay

10 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

That's why i could easily see the Cowboys playing in the kickoff game against Tampa Bay

I will call it 7 months before the season starts. Week 1..... Jets at Bills 1:00 start. Jets in green over white. Bills in all whites just like this past season. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Same here. Everyone keeps thinking us, but its the NFL and with Dak returning, Dallas being Dallas, why would they not take a layup like that. Additionally the NFL since 2002 has had one NFC v AFC opening night game and that was in 2003 when the Jets played the Redskins otherwise the opening game is always inside conference. That was also the last time they didn't have the Superbowl Champion open the season.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Greg S said:

I will call it 7 months before the season starts. Week 1..... Jets at Bills 1:00 start. Jets in green over white. Bills in all whites just like this past season. 

Thinking about it the last truly fun opening matchup was probably the Colts in 2015. Jets in 2019 had some hype because at the time people thought they could be decent. Bears in 2014 is still probably my favorite opener of the last decade.

38 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Thinking about it the last truly fun opening matchup was probably the Colts in 2015. Jets in 2019 had some hype because at the time people thought they could be decent. Bears in 2014 is still probably my favorite opener of the last decade.

I would like them start against the Jets on a Sunday at 1:00. Good chance they get off to a 1-0 start with a division win as well. While I enjoy the Bills getting primetime games I still prefer 1:00 games. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, KollegeStudnet said:

Still think they should do two MNF games and get rid of TNF

I've always liked TNF as it kinda starts my weekend for me, but I don't disagree with how bad it is for the players and recovery. I've always thought if you play TNF then you should be coming off a bye or play on at least Saturday the week prior

18 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Who do you guys think will be the top teams at the end of the year? I predict the Bills, Bucs, Rams, Ravens and that’s really about it. I see the 49ers being tough with all their injured players back. I see KC having a SB hangover next year and they will struggle.

Probably have to wait until after FA and the draft to better answer this question. As of now in the AFC I would say Bills, Ravens, Chiefs win their divisions. The south will be between the Titans and Colts. I could see the Dolphins and Raiders in the mix for a playoff spot. Steelers could be in the mix but if Ben declines then all bets are off. 

40 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Probably have to wait until after FA and the draft to better answer this question. As of now in the AFC I would say Bills, Ravens, Chiefs win their divisions. The south will be between the Titans and Colts. I could see the Dolphins and Raiders in the mix for a playoff spot. Steelers could be in the mix but if Ben declines then all bets are off. 

Yea AFC I’d say it goes like this:

Should win Division

Bills

Chiefs

Ravens

Solid Teams That Could Jump

Titans

Browns

QB Play Could Change Fortunes Good Or Bad

Dolphins

Steelers

Raiders

Colts

Some Pieces But Need Improvement In Certain Areas to Jump

Bengals

Broncos

Chargers

Playing for Draft Picks

Patriots

Jets

Texans

Jags

The top 5 teams I listed I would be genuinely surprised if they missed. After that it’s a hodgepodge depending on additions and subtractions etc. The bottom two AFC spots are going to be really interesting to see what happens to.