"20 other QB's in the league could have won w/ the Bucs on Sunday"

Success

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Although I have chilled on it for a good amount of time, I have been trying to diminish his accomplishments and minimize Brady for years.  We lost.  Its over.  its the wrong side of the argument and 98% of people on Earth will laugh it out of the room.

No matter what the situation is, cheating, TB12 booster shots, etc...  10 Superbowls and 7 victories is pretty insane.  It is hard to make and win a Superbowl.

I have always been "I would take Manning in a heartbeat" guy over Brady... but now its very difficult to make that case.  I have no desire to waste time and energy.  Just go with the flow.

Tampa Bay winning with Brady is a huge thing for his legacy in the face of doubters..  Completely takes Belichick and the NE 'environment' out of it.

I was the same way, but honestly I don't mind him winning in TB. 

I don't like it, but it's not New England, so it feels different. Plus it sets an example for young players: focus, dedication, don't beat yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

2 recent threads down playing Brady's role in the Championships?

Without much Success...

It's downplaying to dare suggest that football might be a team game, and that rings are often a team accomplishment?

I'll try to pipe down about that going forward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Certain guys always seem to be the winners in the end. 

Others constantly get hyped as the greatest QBs ever but win once.

Brees

Rodgers

Just for starters. "Best QBs in the league" who never seem to be in the big dance and whose teams always seem to come up short, regardless of circumstances. 

It's crazy to say it, but Mahomes could very well have a Wilson type career, going to 2 straight, being hyped as an MVP every year, but never getting back for a LONG time, if ever. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Certain guys always seem to be the winners in the end. 

Others constantly get hyped as the greatest QBs ever but win once.

Brees

Rodgers

Just for starters. "Best QBs in the league" who never seem to be in the big dance and whose teams always seem to come up short, regardless of circumstances. 

I think my problem is that I look at things from too nuanced of a perspective.

For example, people look at the NFCCG, and say "Brady beat Rodgers."

But Rodgers wasn't on defense for the 1st half hail mary. And in the 2nd half, his biggest mistake was not seeing the clear lane to the endzone if he just ran to the right, while Brady's 2nd half mistakes included 3 picks.

But, the narrative will always be that Brady was "clutch" in that game, and that Rodgers "choked again."

It's easier to just say "Brady beat Rodgers."

7 minutes ago, Success said:

I think my problem is that I look at things from too nuanced of a perspective.

For example, people look at the NFCCG, and say "Brady beat Rodgers."

But Rodgers wasn't on defense for the 1st half hail mary. And in the 2nd half, his biggest mistake was not seeing the clear lane to the endzone if he just ran to the right, while Brady's 2nd half mistakes included 3 picks.

But, the narrative will always be that Brady was "clutch" in that game, and that Rodgers "choked again."

It's easier to just say "Brady beat Rodgers."

Brady threw 3-interceptions in that game.

The Packers offense was given everything they needed to win that game. 

They didn't get it done. On the last two interceptions, the Packers went three and out both times. 

You can split hairs if you're trying to figure out who was better, John Elway or Brett Favre. Two Super Bowls to One Super Bowl, etc. 

But Brady is now at 10 Super Bowl appearances. There are no more debates, or he just lucky excuses. He is too far past that now. There are no coincidences anymore. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

11 minutes ago, Success said:

It's downplaying to dare suggest that football might be a team game, and that rings are often a team accomplishment?

I'll try to pipe down about that going forward.

Never mind me,

Just one of them, don't say you didn't, when, well

Its all good...

Even if you are in the camp that thinks the SB was all about defense, you should be able to see that the easier, more reliable path to victory is through offense.

KC got to the SB 2 years in a row and won one of them with a crazy high powered offense that couldn't be beat.

And they will be back!  Probably lots of times.

Bills need to work on offense; we don't have a dangerous speed threat on that entire side of the ball save Brown, and even he isn't much of a threat.

Keep going Bills! Build up the offense; get more weapons.

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Never mind me,

Just one of them, don't say you didn't, when, well

Its all good...

It's cool, and you're not really wrong.  I shouldn't have started 2 threads about essentially the same thing.  The post-game narratives, typically, got to me.  Particularly Romo's late-game "well, now Mahomes has to win 8 to be considered the greatest" thing.  As though the argument is all rings, all day.

I'm not a Brady/GOAT truther.  I've thought he was the GOAT for years now, irrespective of rings.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just imagine you're his teammate, maybe special teams player or a defensive player, and you get a random text before the game.  All it says is We Will Win, and its from the GOAT of all time.  I know if that happens to me, I'm f'n pumped.  I'm ready to prove everyone wrong.  Having a guy like him goes beyond just what he is doing on the field.  Could someone else have thrown 20 for 26 with 3TDs and 0 turnovers through 3 Quarters (can't believe people question his performance with these numbers)?  Sure.  Could 20 other QBs have their team as prepared and motivated with as much as he contributes to those areas?  Get the f' out of here with that crap.  The number is probably below 5.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

Two things are pry both true...

-The team would've never made it to the Super Bowl without Brady coming to Tampa.  The three players who scored a TD were recruited by Brady.

-A game manager who doesn't make mistakes easily wins that Super Bowl and that's what Brady was.

He was smart enough to go to a team that was just a few ingredients away (both on and off the field) and he went and provided those missing pieces.  I can't minimize his accomplishment because the defense played really well.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

It's cool, and you're not really wrong.  I shouldn't have started 2 threads about essentially the same thing.  The post-game narratives, typically, got to me.  Particularly Romo's late-game "well, now Mahomes has to win 8 to be considered the greatest" thing.  As though the argument is all rings, all day.

I'm not a Brady/GOAT truther.  I've thought he was the GOAT for years now, irrespective of rings.  

and I get that about the rings. Brady could have been drafted by a badly managed team from the get go and none of this may have ever even happened IMO. 

The argument you make is not a bad one. I suppose you could say Tom Brady has also been very fortunate from a team/organization perspective IMO.

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember when Seattle was the next dynasty, and Russ would be back a bunch of times. that last part was said with just as much certainty as with Mahomes.

They had just gone to the SB back to back, and you were nuts to say Wilson wouldn't be back in the near future. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

8 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Just imagine you're his teammate, maybe special teams player or a defensive player, and you get a random text before the game.  All it says is We Will Win, and its from the GOAT of all time.  I know if that happens to me, I'm f'n pumped.  I'm ready to prove everyone wrong.  Having a guy like him goes beyond just what he is doing on the field.  Could someone else have thrown 20 for 26 with 3TDs and 0 turnovers through 3 Quarters (can't believe people question his performance with these numbers)?  Sure.  Could 20 other QBs have their team as prepared and motivated with as much as he contributes to those areas?  Get the f' out of here with that crap.  The number is probably below 5.

All true, and what what Brady’s leadership proves to me is what Allen’s leadership may produce as he matures. He too has the makings of a great leader and has done a lot to change the culture in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Two things are pry both true...

-The team would've never made it to the Super Bowl without Brady coming to Tampa.  The three players who scored a TD were recruited by Brady.

-A game manager who doesn't make mistakes easily wins that Super Bowl and that's what Brady was.

He was smart enough to go to a team that was just a few ingredients away (both on and off the field) and he went and provided those missing pieces.  I can't minimize his accomplishment because the defense played really well.

I agree w/ all of that.  And w/ the posts saying how he single-handedly changed the culture there, and knew how to motivate his teammates.  The SB was really just the icing on the cake he had already baked to near perfection.

Probably not the smartest thread in retrospect.  I saw the comment and figured it might be interesting to discuss.  Looking back at it, I realize it's just me futilely shaking my fists at the sky for the umpteenth time in 20 years, and shouting to no one, "BRADY!!!"

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

From the game within the game this is true.

From a QB capable of scoring 10 points?

Edited by Figster