"20 other QB's in the league could have won w/ the Bucs on Sunday"

Success

31 minutes ago, Success said:

I saw this comment on twitter.  Thoughts?

I might not agree w/ 20 - but I'd say 10 or so.  In the aftermath, the focus is Brady, Brady, Brady, and he got the MVP (as QB's do).  Obviously, there is something to the fact that he has led his team to that game so many times over the years, and doing it again at 43 is newsworthy & noteworthy.

He played okay.  He had a good 1st half.  If KC's offense had played like KC's offense, he wouldn't have played well enough to get the win.  And this was following a 3 pick half in the NFCCG.

Imo, that defense deserves 80% or so of the credit for the W. And even more in the NFCCG.

4 TDs on 5 drives and 1 was a 70 yarder with a turnover on downs where he threw a TD pass that was dropped.  For a stretch there they were able to basically do whatever they wanted and the chiefs had no answer.  After that they had the 3rd and 10 drive with a bad snap.  After that it was basically a clock game so he didn't really need to do much but kill clock. Even the last 2 incomplete deep balls were imo thrown to try and draw PI.  

He got some calls that we didn't/wouldnt.  I do wonder if like rodgers TDs on Offside plays, if he just has a knack for when to throw balls to draw PI calls.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BTB said:

Minimizing Brady’s play has been going on here forever. Yet here he is in 2021 at the age for 43 leading his team a SB Championship(#7), and yet the bashing still continues.  Some people will just never accept that he is the GOAT. 

True, I can not abide. Posters who are butt-hurt that the Chiefs lost though are very entertaining!

14 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Chris Godwin - 2 catches 9 yards

Mike Evans- 1 Catch 31 yards

Antonio Brown- 5 catches 22 yards

Gronk- 6 catches 67 yards - 2 TDs

Fournette- 4 catches 46 yards

Brate- 3 catches 26 yards

No one throws to TE's and RB's like Tom Brady... so yes, a bunch of other QBs could have won the SB

Isn’t it amazing how dinking and dunking can be so effective?  Bills could have done the same thing with similar success against KC—I am sure they are still kicking themselves for their offensive game plan. 

Just now, BaaadThingsMan said:

Refs spotted the Bucs short fields the whole first half leading to 3 TDs and 21 points

The one short field was on a re-kick shanked punt.  Not the refs fault he had a terrible punt on round 2.

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Isn’t it amazing how dinking and dunking can be so effective?  Bills could have done the same thing with similar success against KC—I am sure they are still kicking themselves for their offensive game plan. 

It works when you break tackles... or when you have effective downfield blocking... Or a design around it.  

I'm more concerned with our defense TBH.  They had no answer other than the game just ending.

Analysts can say whatever they want. 

Look at the second TD throw to Gronk, a tight spiraled laser.  

The TD to Brown is a precise pass at the Goal Line. 

He had 40 TDs passing this year at 43 years old. 

People who keep looking for flaws or ways to minimize or discredit continue to look bad over and over. 

7 Championships with 5 MVPs is not a coincidence. You don't luck into 7 Championships and just happen to play until you're 43 years old. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

8 minutes ago, BTB said:

Minimizing Brady’s play has been going on here forever. Yet here he is in 2021 at the age for 43 leading his team a SB Championship(#7), and yet the bashing still continues.  Some people will just never accept that he is the GOAT. 

He's the GOAT, and I'm not trying to minimize him.  What he did is quite an accomplishment. But it can also be true that quite a few other QB's could have won w/ the Bucs D holding KC to 3 FG's.

I just don't like the narratives that come out of a game like that.  I've lost count of the # of times I've seen "Brady beat Mahomes" or "For Mahomes to become the GOAT, you have to beat the GOAT."  They don't play each other.  If Mahomes was on the Bucs, he wins that game.  If Brady was on KC, he loses.

42 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Nope, only tommy had a chance. No one else would get those flags to give them second and third chances. No one benefits from the officials like him- especially in crucial moments. 

Those flags should have been thrown all year. Chiefs benefitted from being able to hold receivers the entire season. 

That “sticky” coverage should have been flagged all year. Too bad they only figured it out for the super bowl and not the afc championship game. 

Anyone can be as good as the Chiefs were if they allow you to hold every play. 

• Agree 1

You have to consider the overall organization culture transformation when he signed. No other QB could have done that. Yes he got a bunch of Jordan calls during the game as well which were critical, but he showed enough game during the regular season that he kept getting the Jordan calls.  If he was throwing nothing like ducks like he did v the saints mid-season the Jordan calls would have stopped.  The league would have put him out to pasture if he could not still play. 

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought he played very well. I picked the Bucs to win but I sure didn’t expect a blowout. In fact I was worried (because I also wanted them to win) that he might make a costly mistake. He can be accident prone at times now in his senior years, more so than before anyways.

MVP is game specific and other Bucs could have won it IMO but observers close to the team say Brady single handedly took control after he arrived and changed the culture. If thats true he remains largely responsible for the win. They were pre-Bady talented but undisciplined.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

The Chiefs scored 9 points. I think most offenses in the league could have mustered more than that, so yeah, I think that's accurate. But I'm not sure how many offenses or QB's would have put up that many points. Only a few offenses would have done that.

Edited by snamsnoops

The Tom Brady bias needs to stop.  I get that the constant winning causes fatigue amongst football fans, but the guy had a fantastic game.    He is still a top  5-10 player at his position at 43 frickin years old.  

He goes 21/29 and throws three touchdowns in the first half, and media says a below average quarterback could have done the same thing?  Not likely. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I saw this comment on twitter.  Thoughts?

I might not agree w/ 20 - but I'd say 10 or so.  In the aftermath, the focus is Brady, Brady, Brady, and he got the MVP (as QB's do).  Obviously, there is something to the fact that he has led his team to that game so many times over the years, and doing it again at 43 is newsworthy & noteworthy.

He played okay.  He had a good 1st half.  If KC's offense had played like KC's offense, he wouldn't have played well enough to get the win.  And this was following a 3 pick half in the NFCCG.

Imo, that defense deserves 80% or so of the credit for the W. And even more in the NFCCG.

The deeper thing that all the players agree on is that he helped them believe in themselves as individuals and as a team. They respect him so much they will do anything to not disappoint him. The Bucs in spite of Brady's less than stellar playoffs before the super bowl were in that position because of Tom Brady IMHO.

It's fair to say that a non-Brady QB probably would have made fewer 1st downs, and that would have given KC more opportunities and the Pats fewer. That being said, KC's offensive line was hot garbage on Sunday, and Tampa's D was lights out. So yeah, I think most NFL QBs could have won that game with the Bucs team surrounding them. 

2 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The deeper thing that all the players agree on is that he helped them believe in themselves as individuals and as a team. They respect him so much they will do anything to not disappoint him. The Bucs in spite of Brady's less than stellar playoffs before the super bowl were in that position because of Tom Brady IMHO.

A few posters have made this point, and it's a good one.  Brady absolutely brings a culture change to any team (in addition to instantly making any team the most popular FA destination).

There was also a report that he was texting & calling his teammates every day over the past 2 weeks, just saying "we're going to win."  TB is the most driven person I have ever seen - even outside of sports - and that will to win has to be infectious.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The Chiefs scored 9 points. I think most offenses in the league could have mustered more than that, so yeah, I think that's accurate. But I'm not sure how many offenses or QB's would have put up that many points. Only a few offenses would have done that.

True but keep in mind part of it is the Bucs offense stayed on the field and made no mistakes. If a lesser QB hadn't moved the ball or turned it over that would have given KC more chances to get back into the game, i.e. San Fran last year. Brady wasn't the driving force behind the victory but he was still a big factor.

33 minutes ago, Success said:

He's the GOAT, and I'm not trying to minimize him.  What he did is quite an accomplishment. But it can also be true that quite a few other QB's could have won w/ the Bucs D holding KC to 3 FG's.

I just don't like the narratives that come out of a game like that.  I've lost count of the # of times I've seen "Brady beat Mahomes" or "For Mahomes to become the GOAT, you have to beat the GOAT."  They don't play each other.  If Mahomes was on the Bucs, he wins that game.  If Brady was on KC, he loses.

2 recent threads down playing Brady's role in the Championships?

Without much Success...

• Haha (+1) 1

Although I have chilled on it for a good amount of time, I have been trying to diminish his accomplishments and minimize Brady for years.  We lost.  Its over.  its the wrong side of the argument and 98% of people on Earth will laugh it out of the room.

No matter what the situation is, cheating, TB12 booster shots, etc...  10 Superbowls and 7 victories is pretty insane.  It is hard to make and win a Superbowl.

I have always been "I would take Manning in a heartbeat" guy over Brady... but now its very difficult to make that case.  I have no desire to waste time and energy.  Just go with the flow.

Tampa Bay winning with Brady is a huge thing for his legacy in the face of doubters..  Completely takes Belichick and the NE 'environment' out of it.

• Like (+1) 2