"20 other QB's in the league could have won w/ the Bucs on Sunday"

Success

I saw this comment on twitter.  Thoughts?

I might not agree w/ 20 - but I'd say 10 or so.  In the aftermath, the focus is Brady, Brady, Brady, and he got the MVP (as QB's do).  Obviously, there is something to the fact that he has led his team to that game so many times over the years, and doing it again at 43 is newsworthy & noteworthy.

He played okay.  He had a good 1st half.  If KC's offense had played like KC's offense, he wouldn't have played well enough to get the win.  And this was following a 3 pick half in the NFCCG.

Imo, that defense deserves 80% or so of the credit for the W. And even more in the NFCCG.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Success changed the title to "20 other QB's in the league could have won w/ the Bucs on Sunday"

Not sure about that, Brady did not will them to victory but he was a very big part of it. Id argue they'd only have won it with a few other qbs for the whole playoffs, Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, maybe Watson, Dak or Josh. In the super bowl only yeah a lot of qbs could've won that game with the bucs

Edited by nato7412

The Chiefs scored 9 points. I think most offenses in the league could have mustered more than that, so yeah, I think that's accurate. But I'm not sure how many offenses or QB's would have put up that many points. Only a few offenses would have done that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I always have believed it’s an interesting thought experiment to imagine the QB’s switching teams and seeing whether this would have changed outcome of game.  This goes all the way back to Bills - Cowboys Super Bowls.  If Kelly was QBing Cowboys and Aikman QBing Bills, would have it changed the outcome?  Clearly not.   What if Mahones was QBing Bucs and Brady Chiefs?  Would it had changed the outcome?  Only in sense that final score would have been about 50 - 0.   Yeah, I think 15 or more QB’s would have won that game for the Bucs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

No one benefits from the officials like him- especially in crucial moments. 

That's a fact.  

I remember Bills - Pats games where Buffalo would finally get a stop on 3rd down only for a ticky tack illegal contact penalty to wipe that out and give the Pats a cheap 1st down.  It was infuriating!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's a fact.  

I remember Bills - Pats games where Buffalo would finally get a stop on 3rd down only for a ticky tack illegal contact penalty to wipe that out and give the Pats a cheap 1st down.  It was infuriating!

There were penalties that I still remember to this day.  The one on Hughes where I think his hand brushed by Brady's head w/ a few inches to spare & got 15 yards. There was also a game where we were playing pretty competitively w/ them, and Brady got 3 PI's in or near the endzone in the 1st half, that basically put the game out of reach early.  And they were all ticky tacky.

It seemed very one-sided over the years, and that's even w/ acknowledging that I can be as much of a homer as anyone when it comes to officiating.  It was tough when they were so much better than us - they didn't need the extra lift from the officiating.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Success said:

I might not agree w/ 20 - but I'd say 10 or so.  In the aftermath, the focus is Brady, Brady, Brady, and he got the MVP (as QB's do).  Obviously, there is something to the fact that he has led his team to that game so many times over the years, and doing it again at 43 is newsworthy & noteworthy.

He played okay.  He had a good 1st half.  If KC's offense had played like KC's offense, he wouldn't have played well enough to get the win.  And this was following a 3 pick half in the NFCCG.

Imo, that defense deserves 80% or so of the credit for the W. And even more in the NFCCG.

As far as the contributions of pure QB play - maybe not 20, but 5 or 6, certainly.

As far as the winning drive and the leadership that seemed to have elevated the team -

I heard an anecdote, not remembering where now, that one of the Bucs players was crying with happiness in the celebratory Bucs locker room after winning the NFC championship.  Brady saw it and yelled at him:

"What the ***** are you crying about?  We ain't done nothing yet.  After we win next game, then you can cry."

I used to under-rate the effect of that kind of leadership on a team but now I see it's important and should not be under-rated.

I personally think that one factor which may have lost us the game was that the Bills kind of had their "Party Hats" on to be going to the AFC Championship game, and didn't pull them off fast enough and get back to grinding.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Each game has its own life in a way. Without Brady who knows what KC dials up for their defense, or how Mahomes and the offense for KC plays. A few plays here or there may have changed the way that game flowed. 
In the context of what happened Sunday, I’d say 10-12 QB’s could of done the same things Brady did. 

18 minutes ago, nato7412 said:

Not sure about that, Brady did not will them to victory but he was a very big part of it. Id argue they'd only have won it with a few other qbs for the whole playoffs, Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, maybe Watson, Dak or Josh. In the super bowl only yeah a lot of qbs could've won that game with the bucs

There are only 2 or 3 QBs who can put up double digit points in this league.

24 minutes ago, Success said:

No Brady means no Gronk and means no AB.

So no.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Chris Godwin - 2 catches 9 yards

Mike Evans- 1 Catch 31 yards

Antonio Brown- 5 catches 22 yards

Gronk- 6 catches 67 yards - 2 TDs

Fournette- 4 catches 46 yards

Brate- 3 catches 26 yards

No one throws to TE's and RB's like Tom Brady... so yes, a bunch of other QBs could have won the SB

28 minutes ago, Success said:

Was Mahomes one of them?  Josh had his shot 2 weeks ago. 

Anyway, Brady got them 3 TDs to 2 FG by the half.  After that, they mostly pounded the ball and let their T off on a Chiefs team that had to pass.  As for the bolded part, why wouldn't Brady have continued to play as well if it became a shootout?  Because he had 3 picks in the NFCC game?  Makes no sense.

• Like (+1) 1