SB TV ratings. NFL got their dream matchup Bucs/Chiefs, but

Bubba Gump

Why not do away with the halftime show. The NFL doesn't do it for all the other games leading up to the Super Bowl. Football fans are going to watch the game because of the game. Nobody wants to watch some talentless scrub put on a **** halftime performance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Why not do away with the halftime show. The NFL doesn't do it for all the other games leading up to the Super Bowl. Football fans are going to watch the game because of the game. Nobody wants to watch some talentless scrub put on a **** halftime performance. 

The goal is to expand the audience. That is the reason for a lot of the otherwise baffling decisions they make.

The evolution of the commercials played during the game reflect this as well, it is less a matter of trying to sell things to football fans, and more to show what kind, compassionate souls they are. Granted, anyone who thinks about the matter realizes that these are just cynical marketing ploys, but the gamble is that since they are the only game in town it will not matter.

Fun fact, straight males are widely considered the least profitable group to market towards, but are also the group that is the most interested in professional sports. Is it a surprise that other groups would be a bigger focus when so much money is on the line?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Huge football fan here that goes in early to watch warm ups because I'm way more interested in football than tailgating or any of the other nonsense and circus show that surrounds the game.

That said, I tuned in last week only for The Weeknds performance, watched a little bit of the start of the 2nd half, and then turned the game back off.

Not interested in watching Brady and crew in another one. Not interested in that Chiefs team. And personally, being content with what the Bills did but hungry to get to next year, I was just ready to move on and be done with the season.

And between you and @T master, this is some great "Old Man Yells at Cloud" posting.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's been reported........but not on the likes of ESPN of course.........that the NFL has been giving back money to the networks this season because advertisers have been asking for money back because of poor ratings.

Viewing habits are changing but there is far too much content that a large amount of the country sees as boring, depressing or inflammatory being forced into the equation by the NFL and NBA specifically.    Obviously the key is to stay continuously entertaining to the audience and the sports leagues are falling short in that regard. 

I disagree cause there is one league were ratings are going up. The league that most here seem to forget about. The NHL. Their TV ratings are up from last year. 

• Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Huge football fan here that goes in early to watch warm ups because I'm way more interested in football than tailgating or any of the other nonsense and circus show that surrounds the game.

That said, I tuned in last week only for The Weeknds performance, watched a little bit of the start of the 2nd half, and then turned the game back off.

Not interested in watching Brady and crew in another one. Not interested in that Chiefs team. And personally, being content with what the Bills did but hungry to get to next year, I was just ready to move on and be done with the season.

And between you and @T master, this is some great "Old Man Yells at Cloud" posting.

I know I'm turning into that guy that stands out in front of the house and yells "GET OFF MY LAWN DAM WHIPPER SNAPPERS"  !  😂 

it's hell to become that guy but i am embracing it to it's fullest ... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I disagree cause there is one league were ratings are going up. The league that most here seem to forget about. The NHL. Their TV ratings are up from last year. 

JRB with all your disagrees, eye roles and vomits on this topic... surely you have more to say then just this.

• Like (+1) 1

Did the Stanley Cup ratings finally beat the National Spelling Bee?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Rico said:

Did the Stanley Cup ratings finally beat the National Spelling Bee?

I get that most on this board don't care for hockey. Not surprised to see comments like that. 

36 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

JRB with all your disagrees, eye roles and vomits on this topic... surely you have more to say then just this.

All the disagrees, eye rolls and vomits are for all the comments on how the Bills will be in the Super Bowl next year. Or that a Super Bowl between Bills and Packers would have drawn more. First they are still 2 small markets and second the ratings are down due to lack of parties this year. Believe it or not Super bowl parties are where more casual fans watch it. Most of those people wouldn't be watching the game otherwise. 

• Eyeroll 2

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

This is like celebrating the fact that your idiot child who performs the worst in his class became the "most improved."

It's easy to improve when you are at the bottom.

The NFL is never going to "improve" its ratings in huge jumps because they are already near the ceiling.

Meanwhile, NHL ratings are still below that of a PGA bowling event.

Thank you Mr. Bettman!  Your work is now complete!  

• Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is like celebrating the fact that your idiot child who performs the worst in his class became the "most improved."

The NFL is never going to "improve" its ratings in huge jumps because they are already near the ceiling.

I don't fully blame Bettman on that. A big part of the problem is for some reason hockey has never drawn well in the US. No matter what they do it hasn't helped. 

32 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The golfers have a bowling event ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fair point DocDawk, but allow additional perspective:

I'm "old" but I ain't that old. I have a 13-yr old daughter who listens to K-pop for chrisakes, so I "listen" to it as well. Bottom line: very open to all music.

But, dude, Weeknd just plain sucked. At least in live performance, the most unforgiving venue of all. The music and performance simply lacked a center...a soul.

Plus, I missed the part where he slides across the stage and throws his junk into the camera lens.

All in good fun bro...musical opinions are just that. Now, get the hell off my lawn.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I get that most on this board don't care for hockey. Not surprised to see comments like that. 

All the disagrees, eye rolls and vomits are for all the comments on how the Bills will be in the Super Bowl next year. Or that a Super Bowl between Bills and Packers would have drawn more. First they are still 2 small markets and second the ratings are down due to lack of parties this year. Believe it or not Super bowl parties are where more casual fans watch it. Most of those people wouldn't be watching the game otherwise. 

Around 8 years ago Reddit had this post 

10. Super Bowl 43: Steelers vs Cardinals (98.73 Million)  18 vs 20 Rank

9. Super Bowl 52: Eagles vs Patriots (103.39 Million) 4 vs 5 Rank

8. Super Bowl 44: Saints vs Colts (106.48 Million) 25 vs 30 Rank

7. Super Bowl 47: Ravens vs 49ers (108.69 Million) 2 vs 21 Rank

6. Super Bowl 45: Packers vs Steelers (111.01 Million) 20 vs 22 Rank

5. Super Bowl 51: Patriots vs Falcons (111.32 Million) 4 vs 9 Rank

4. Super Bowl 46: Giants vs Patriots (111.35 Million) 1 vs 4 Rank

3. Super Bowl 50: Broncos vs Panthers (111.86 Million) 6 vs 15 Rank

2. Super Bowl 48: Seahawks vs Broncos (112.19 Million) 15 vs 17 Rank

1. Super Bowl 49: Patriots vs Seahawks (114.44 Million) 4 vs 17 Rank

KC vs TB  19 vs 27  and the 8th best SB was 25 vs 30 rank.

now keeping in mind numbers does change what you have here among the top 10 watched is mixed reviews. IF markets mattered my gosh it should not of mattered SB 4 rank 4 should have been #1 right? how could this be possible?

Answer is simple.. Its the story behind each SB.

What could of been the story behind this one? 

Another young QB gets their team to a SB

Brady vs the Bills Again

Cinderella story lines on both sides.

Instead you got.. a crazy overloaded over talented roster again... VS Brady  Stories that have repeated itself in one way or another.

So if you think because of market size and viewers from each team matters? Well yes a little but not to the extend your thinking....

Edited by PrimeTime101

UFC have got a major BOOST in ratings in 2020. Seems the NHL as well. So... nobody wants to mention identity politics, BLM, kneeling and all that as reasons the NFL lost viewers this year? NBA fared the worst, and they were the worst at that. 

People want to watch SPORTS, not have divisive topics pushed on them all the time! Half the fans are told how awful they are and you expect them to just take it? The emotional bond was broken for some, and it's not something to disregard lightly.

Sports must be one of THE most unifying aspect of modern society, by far, but they made sure to put a wrench in that as well. Sure Kapernick started that but it was him and a few other players. This year it was the league itself and networks pushing the narrative. Go woke, go broke. Strangely, they don't even seem to care... We must be "educated".

Legit question.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2010/6/7/1506138/spelling-bee-stanley-cup-ratings-game-4

Maybe things have changed over the past 10 years and there aren’t as many Spelling Bee fans now.

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

Because they make money on it.  Pepsi paid $10mil and the talentless scrub paid $7mil.

I think the ratings are partly due to the fact that in general, fan interest in the NFL product has gone down as well.  

In my unscientific personal example, among the people I know, interest in football in general is considerably lower than it was 10-20 years ago.

Add to that the whole kneeling thing as well ticking people off.  It's still the most watched sport in the US to be sure, but it isn't what it once was IMO.

Edited by CodeMonkey

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Legit question.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2010/6/7/1506138/spelling-bee-stanley-cup-ratings-game-4

Maybe things have changed over the past 10 years and there aren’t as many Spelling Bee fans now.

It's changed now. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draws-record-tv-ratings-on-opening-night/c-320321426