SB TV ratings. NFL got their dream matchup Bucs/Chiefs, but

Bubba Gump

8 hours ago, dma0034 said:

For ratings the Packers-Bills would have been good or TB-Buffalo. Honestly, as Buffalo fans it's weird how many people routed for Brady because of the dislike of the Chiefs.... like some how the Chiefs are the new Patriots.

Bills fans are a little underrated nationally. Everyone knows Bills fans are a hardcore bunch. Everyone knows WNY is crazy for the Bills. Everyone knows about Bills mafia. But from a national standpoint the media/fans always mention the Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Bears, Giants are teams with national appeal that bring in strong ratings. This past season proved the Bills belong in that group despite being a small market team. All of the Bills primetime games this past season had strong ratings. Wasn't the Cowboys-Bills thanksgiving day the highest rated on turkey day. Dallas plays in that game every year but it took the Bills being in it to bring up the ratings. Bills fans also travel well. I can tell you as a Jets season ticket holder the Bills have always been well represented at Shea, Giants Stadium, and now MetLife. If the Bills had made the Super Bowl the ratings would have been a lot higher IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Also had their lowest ratings since 2007. People are sick of watching Tom Brady, and maybe already getting sick of all the Mahomes hype. I would be willing to bet that a Bills/Packers SB would've generated a bigger audience. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/super-bowl-ratings-game-fails-to-attract-more-than-100-million-viewers.html

I do not watch games with Brady very often because I dislike him and the officials give him calls no one else gets and I believe many people have come to same conclusion. His last 3 Super Bowl wins are all ones where officials played far too large a role and it is now expected by many people.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Bills Rams will be epic next year, in LA

You didn't learn anything from this year's game.  You never want to play a team in their home stadium in the Super Bowl.  It's a huge unfair advantage.  I said from the beginning of the playoffs that if Tampa won the NFC, it would be too hard for the AFC to win this year.  If the Rams are in next year's Super Bowl they're a lock to win the game.  Same thing goes for the Chargers if it's any NFC team other than the Rams.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Don't kid yourself.   Those guys dream about dollars, not about great theater.  Sure, they got Mahomes and Brady, but they would have promoted the QBs with any combination of those two and Rodgers and Allen.  They could have promoted any of those as a dream matchup, but that isn't nearly as important as having two big markets represented in the game.  They would have preferred Mahomes and the New York football Giants and whatever that number 8 guy's name is.   

Dude of course they'd promote the heck out out of the game no matter who the teams were. Try looking at other people's arguments with an open eye. If you watch any of the major networks during the season you would see that some teams (players really) get much more airtime than others. Casual fans know certain players names and hype. Brady and Mahomes are the two most famous QBs in the league. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Honestly, as Buffalo fans it's weird how many people routed for Brady because of the dislike of the Chiefs.... like some how the Chiefs are the new Patriots.

I just don't care about Brady anymore. I actually really enjoyed watching him play without it helping a division rival. For the first time I coul appreciate his greatness without thinking about the Bills. As much as it hurt to watch him kill us all those years he was never the main obstacle for us to win the Super Bowl. That was our own fault for being so bad for so long. The Chiefs are now our main obstacle so yes I enjoyed watching them get blown out.

11 hours ago, T master said:

The half time show is also running out of legit talent i never even heard of the dude they had for the half time show 🤔 I do remember when the Who was the part of the half time show and all's people did was b**ch that they needed to get all the old fogies out of the show ???

Those were HOF Rock & Roll groups that made rock & roll what it is and those complaining didn't get it but they think "The Week end" is all that and a bag of chips i'll never understand that !! 

With all the really good acts of the time when the music that was being made was legendary and those acts being way to old to perform like they use to i think the SB half time shows are pretty much doomed to under perform ...

Maybe they should go back to marching bands!!! Many colleges have some damn good talent plus the show would be as good as the music

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Maybe they should go back to marching bands!!! Many colleges have some damn good talent plus the show would be as good as the music

the whole point of the halftime show is to get people who don't usually watch the game to tune in. That's why the NFL usually chooses contemporary talent. The average NFL fan is along the lines of 50 year old male, so wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know who weeknd is. But again the halftime show it's not for you if you're going to watch the game anyway.

With this game the rating is pretty simple. The game just wasn't that good. Both teams started a little slow in the Chiefs never got anything going. If that game were close, that game would have held an audience and will probably end up being the most watched thing on television when the year is all said and done. 

• Agree 1

My belief is that there was a lack of storylines. Besides Brady vs Mahomes they did a terrible job of producing any intrigue in other aspects. 

Also, both teams were unlikable,  if it was Bills vs Bucs , I guarantee they do around 110 mil. 

Because the Casual Fan can get behind Allen n the Bills. 

The AFC title game broke a few records as far as viewership goes

23 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Dude of course they'd promote the heck out out of the game no matter who the teams were. Try looking at other people's arguments with an open eye. If you watch any of the major networks during the season you would see that some teams (players really) get much more airtime than others. Casual fans know certain players names and hype. Brady and Mahomes are the two most famous QBs in the league. 

Of course they promote the game no matter what.   As I said, they could have promoted Rodgers and Allen as much as they promoted Brady and Mahomes, and they would have gotten the same ratings.

Think of it this way.  If the NFL has a good story to tell about the game, and they make sure they almost always have a good story to tell, they're going to get X% of viewers around the country.   Every year they will maximize however many real football fans there are, because they have a good story - fans want to see the Brady story, the Mahomes story, the Rodgers story, the Allen story.  The NFL gets those viewers whatever city the QBs play in.   Then there are the non-football fans who watch because they want to be at a Super Bowl party, they want to see the ads, they enjoy the spectacle of the whole thing.  Just like the football fans, the number of viewers they get from the non-football fans also is not city-dependent.  Those non-football fans tune in for the show, not for the city.   

The one big variable is the people who aren't football fans and who ordinarily don't watch, because they aren't into the spectacle and the things that get some non-football fans to watch.  How do you get those people to watch?   Well, most of those people are the people who are interested for some other reason - not football, not the spectacle, not the half-time show.  How do you get a lot of THOSE people?   By having the two teams come from really big metropolitan areas, because those people have a third reason to watch - civic pride.   When the Bills are in the Super Bowl, everyone in Buffalo will watch, including a lot of people who don't ordinarily watch.    But the actual number of people Buffalo can bring to the TV for that reason is a LOT smaller than the actual number of people who can come to the TV in New York City, LA or a couple of other cities.  And Dallas, which although it doesn't have the same numbers, has some ability to draw non-football fans because of the image they built.   

It's the additional viewers from the cities where the two teams come from that drive the numbers.  

Oh well, sucks for them.

At this point, all I can say is people can be tired of Brady all they want (I sure as hell am), but until someone can stop him or send his ass into retirement, just have to accept the inevitable boredom.

For a freaking QB to now have more rings than Michael Jordan, in a sport that's not supposed to have these types of things happen, is absolutely absurd. I loathe the guy, but there's just nothing to left to say about the guy. He knows how to win, and will simply keep doing it.

Really hoping the Bills are the ones that put him out to pasture. 

On 2/9/2021 at 10:30 PM, Figster said:

Weird wishing the Chiefs get crushed like they crushed the Buffalo Bills, how so? Brady and the Bucs didn't stop Buffalo from reaching the Superbowl. Mahomes and the Chiefs did.  So it was enjoyable for me to see them feel the same humility our team and fans felt.  Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth sort of thing. Nothing weird about it IMO. Rooting for the team that just mowed us over two weeks ago seems weird to me.

To each his own...

I know and agree with you. I went into the game kinda confused as to who to root for. Midway through the first quarter and I was rooting for Tampa. It felt very odd, but I’m really starting to dislike Mahomes and the Chiefs in general a lot. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Maynard said:

I know and agree with you. I went into the game kinda confused as to who to root for. Midway through the first quarter and I was rooting for Tampa. It felt very odd, but I’m really starting to dislike Mahomes and the Chiefs in general a lot. 

I've always been a big fan of the QB position itself and despite how tough Tom Brady was on Buffalo playing him twice a season was enjoyable to me because it was the best measurement you could ask for IMO. Until you beat Tom Brady your probably not ready to go all the way.

Seeing Mahomes beat down by Tom Brady and a nasty Bucs D actually restored some of my likings for Patrick Mahomes. Humility is not always such a bad thing in my humble opinion. 

Edited by Figster

On 2/10/2021 at 8:36 AM, Buffalo Timmy said:

I do not watch games with Brady very often because I dislike him and the officials give him calls no one else gets and I believe many people have come to same conclusion. His last 3 Super Bowl wins are all ones where officials played far too large a role and it is now expected by many people.

Can't argue with that.

IMHO the Elephant in the Room of NFL ratings is really the perceived inconsistancy of the refereeing and its impact on the game.

I'm OK with the calls the refs made against KC in the Super Bowl.  I'm OK with those calls not being made against KC in the AFCCG.

I'm not OK with the calls not being made in the AFCCG, then the same calls being made 2 weeks later.

24 minutes ago, Maynard said:

I had the same experience.  Part of it was watching the calls that went unpenalized against us get called against them.

Karma's a Beeoytch, Baby!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2021 at 1:44 PM, GoBills808 said:

If they wanted to ensure a large early TB lead they would have called the Ronald Jones dive on 4th and goal a TD

That’s a reviewable play, they are smarter than that, holding and pass interference is not , less to scrutinize...

On 2/10/2021 at 7:49 AM, T master said:

The half time show is also running out of legit talent i never even heard of the dude they had for the half time show 🤔 I do remember when the Who was the part of the half time show and all's people did was b**ch that they needed to get all the old fogies out of the show ???

Those were HOF Rock & Roll groups that made rock & roll what it is and those complaining didn't get it but they think "The Week end" is all that and a bag of chips i'll never understand that !! 

With all the really good acts of the time when the music that was being made was legendary and those acts being way to old to perform like they use to i think the SB half time shows are pretty much doomed to under perform ...

The Weekend is fairly well known

I do agree that halftime shows have gone downhill. Rock bands can bring a certain energy with them. However can anyone name me current rock bands that are big? I love me some 70s/80s rock bands like anyone else but i dont need to see some 80yr old dude have a stroke on stage. There are many solo performers nowadays. 

Also, the SB commercials have officially gone to *****. Not quite sure when it happened, but it has been years now. 

• Agree 1