SB TV ratings. NFL got their dream matchup Bucs/Chiefs, but

Bubba Gump

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I barely even remembered to turn on the game, honestly. It was the least interesting Superbowl I can ever remember.

I oddly fell asleep from qtr 2-4.  

I re watched the game next day but I just wasn't excited,  and my exhaustion took over. 

I bet Bucs vs Bills would have done 110+.

I think our team and QB is very easy for a casual fan to get invested in....

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Ratings are down for all sports since Covid hit. I'm not completely sure what's driving it, but there was in fact a big upsurge in cord-cutting in the last year (https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/21/pandemic-accelerated-cord-cutting-making-2020-the-worst-ever-year-for-pay-tv/). But I think you're probably right that exhaustion played a role, especially after this insane political year. Also, look at the decline in 18-49 year olds over the past decade: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/super-bowl-ratings-historical-viewership-chart-cbs-nbc-fox-abc/. That decline applies to all sports, especially in 2020.  Anyway, the dip this year was big. Maybe the fact that bars and super bowl parties mostly disappeared this year too played a role. There are a lot of bars in this country. 

In general bars are not counted for ratings but they were added inflating ratings compared to when they used to not include them.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/super-bowl-ratings-game-fails-to-attract-more-than-100-million-viewers.html

Research firm Nielsen, which handles TV viewership data responded on Monday afternoon to inquires about the delay in releasing the information. In a statement to Deadline, a spokesperson said the metrics would include out of home (OOH) numbers. Those numbers represent TVs in places like bars and restaurants and augment viewership data for the NFL

CBS made a mistake swapping for this Superbowl.

I will personally watch the super bowl regardless of who plays. Who here doesnt? I mean its super bowl sunday, if youre even a mediocre sports fan youre going to tune in. 

Now, why was it down this year? There are probably dozens of reasons why - probably the most important of which revolves around a once in a lifetime pandemic and political uprisings/disarray. Many people that are fringe sports fans to begin with, who in past years might have tuned in bc it was the thing to do, this year decided there were, in fact, other things to do. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1

I did not watch game either on TV, online game or online highlights like NFL.com.

Number one reason is I am ad'ed out.  A number of playoff games I got tired of XXXX sponsored by XXXX on almost every play.  It is not just the commercial time but going to commercial and coming back from commercial as well.  Just use technology to put ads in game like they do line markers.

I thought zebras were changing how games were called in playoffs and some teams evidently rehearsed how to prevent getting called on plays opposing teams were getting called on.

The teams certainly in it affected my interest but there were other reasons.

• Like (+1) 1

The Super Bowl is a social event even for people that don't watch football. We are in the worst social environment in over 100 years. I guarantee the normal football fans all tuned in to watch the game, but the non-fans that go to Super Bowl parties wouldn't have had a reason to watch.

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

The SB went from 114 million to 96 mill this year.

Pretty simple, get woke, go broke.

That is definitely not the reason. Why did last year's Super Bowl not see a similar decline? Why did the 2020 draft break viewership records? Football fans are still watching the game and there are more us than ever.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

They got the dream matchup in terms of the narrative that they promote. 

Don't kid yourself.   Those guys dream about dollars, not about great theater.  Sure, they got Mahomes and Brady, but they would have promoted the QBs with any combination of those two and Rodgers and Allen.  They could have promoted any of those as a dream matchup, but that isn't nearly as important as having two big markets represented in the game.  They would have preferred Mahomes and the New York football Giants and whatever that number 8 guy's name is.   

No matter what you think about the teams and players, it was a just plain crappy football game. 

Add to that, does anyone really LIKE Brady and the Bucs? And the Chiefs, who were a fresh story the last two seasons, have begun to curdle. 

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

They didn't get their dream matchup.   They got two lousy TV markets.  

If you're in professional sports, NY-LA or something like that is your dream matchup. 

Or Buffalo vs GB ;)

Two major metropolises ;) 

I think Brady has been to one too many and Mahomee won one too many ;) 

Some how when they hype up a game this much it loses its luster before they even play it.

It never lives up to the expectations.

Besides 2020 sucked as a year and there were no big SB parties like usual. 

Edited by JMF2006
spelling

38 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

For ratings the Packers-Bills would have been good or TB-Buffalo. Honestly, as Buffalo fans it's weird how many people routed for Brady because of the dislike of the Chiefs.... like some how the Chiefs are the new Patriots.

Weird wishing the Chiefs get crushed like they crushed the Buffalo Bills, how so? Brady and the Bucs didn't stop Buffalo from reaching the Superbowl. Mahomes and the Chiefs did.  So it was enjoyable for me to see them feel the same humility our team and fans felt.  Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth sort of thing. Nothing weird about it IMO. Rooting for the team that just mowed us over two weeks ago seems weird to me.

To each his own...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Also had their lowest ratings since 2007. People are sick of watching Tom Brady, and maybe already getting sick of all the Mahomes hype. I would be willing to bet that a Bills/Packers SB would've generated a bigger audience. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/super-bowl-ratings-game-fails-to-attract-more-than-100-million-viewers.html

Maybe the NFL should not have helped Brady so much no one wants to watch with him playing.  GB a s Bills would have been a bigger game from my view

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

16 hours ago, without a drought said:

The lack of super bowl parties, might have factored in a little.

You could also imagine that in normal years, super bowl parties would see many people gathered to watch one television. The lack of super bowl parties should have predicted that those "many" are now left to watching on "many televisions" and not as groups.

I, for one, did not even tune in. In fact, I must confess, once TB won, I was glad Buffalo did not have to play against them.

I am absolutely sick to death of the "Brady thing".  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Terrible SB. I was hoping Brady would get knocked out of the game.

Not me...the Mahomee worship would have reached vomit level had he won.

He needed to be brought back down to earth along with that fanbase.

As for Marsha...he is going down as the Goat whether you like it or not...so whats the big deal over 6 or 7 SB's?

It won't change a thing in his  HOF career.

Your team has only lost three times to him 3-2 all time including the NFCCG

He was 32-3 vs the Bills all time and he ruined many sunny afternoons at the Ralph in my lifetime.

So glad 2021 will probably be the last time the Bills face him :)

Just now, cd1 said:

You could also imagine that in normal years, super bowl parties would see many people gathered to watch one television. The lack of super bowl parties should have predicted that those "many" are now left to watching on "many televisions" and not as groups.

I, for one, did not even tune in. In fact, I must confess, once TB won, I was glad Buffalo did not have to play against them.

I am absolutely sick to death of the "Brady thing".  

Some people are attending an event rather than being true football fans....at home they are watching Netflixs or something.

• Like (+1) 1

As someone who usually does not hear the real commentary team as broadcast in English live (watching from Europe), I thought that Nantz and Romo were just awful. The BBC showed the Super Bowl free to air but was obliged to cut any sponsored audio commentary and they cut out quite a bit. 

Also the half-time show was underwhelming. The performer I think has 1 well known hit and appears to be a synth voice musician who would not have had any kind of broad appeal. 

I'd speculate that a good amount of people watched the first half and then just stopped watching.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The half time show is also running out of legit talent i never even heard of the dude they had for the half time show 🤔 I do remember when the Who was the part of the half time show and all's people did was b**ch that they needed to get all the old fogies out of the show ???

Those were HOF Rock & Roll groups that made rock & roll what it is and those complaining didn't get it but they think "The Week end" is all that and a bag of chips i'll never understand that !! 

With all the really good acts of the time when the music that was being made was legendary and those acts being way to old to perform like they use to i think the SB half time shows are pretty much doomed to under perform ...