SB TV ratings. NFL got their dream matchup Bucs/Chiefs, but

Bubba Gump

We'll see next year when life will hopefully get back to normal.  It's hard to draw any conclusions though as I'm guessing a lot of people who usually don't watch football but will attend Super Bowl parties that didn't this year didn't tune in to the game.

Having said that, improve your damn halftime show.  It was awful.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Also had their lowest ratings since 2007. People are sick of watching Tom Brady, and maybe already getting sick of all the Mahomes hype. I would be willing to bet that a Bills/Packers SB would've generated a bigger audience. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/super-bowl-ratings-game-fails-to-attract-more-than-100-million-viewers.html

I'm with you, but Bills fans should understand that if Josh has another great year then the Josh hype is gonna be annoying to every other team.

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

That's false. LA has some of the worst sports TV ratings around. And two lousy markets doesn't matter, the ratings are for the entire country, not just TB and KC.

Whatever LA is, it's an absolute certainty that if you asked the NFL to list their top 15 preferred teams in the Super Bowl, neither KC nor Tampa Bay is on the list.  The ratings are driven by the big TV markets, and the NFL wants teams from the big TV markets in the Super Bowl.   Just like the NBA and Major League Baseball.  Tampa Bay and MIlwaukee is not a dream matchup in the World Series.

The golden age of streaming, for people who want to brag about how smart they are saving money and "cord cutting" is coming to an end fast. These companies have figured out how to play the game. Yes, streaming is the future, as is paying a LOT more to do it. 

All you streamers were just Beta testing the system for them. 

Soon everything worth watching will be on a + network. It's already happening. 

You have Hulu or Pluto TV or Saturn Tv or Mars TV? Cool! you can watch the same reruns that they show on cable. Read the comments about Discovery+ on any social media platform. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

Political reasonings aside, I thought that the Mahomes v Brady story line was compelling enough heading into the game, at least on a macro level.  Sort of, "does the old man have enough left in the tank to stop Mahomes from being King of the Hill?" 

I don't have the same hate for Brady in the NFC, and KC fans have become super insufferable VERY QUICKLY. Feels like they became that way overnight, where as Patriots fans at least took a few seasons to get there. The last thing I wanted was Mahomes to win on Sunday, and I am glad he got absolutely embarrassed. 

I will say, I do not think that largely, fans like "super teams" The NFL is not the NBA, but given the offensive firepower, KC and TB are about as close as you will get with  AB, TB, Gronk, Godwin, Evans vs. Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Watkins. I have literally zero data to support this. It just feels that way. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Also had their lowest ratings since 2007. People are sick of watching Tom Brady, and maybe already getting sick of all the Mahomes hype. I would be willing to bet that a Bills/Packers SB would've generated a bigger audience. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/super-bowl-ratings-game-fails-to-attract-more-than-100-million-viewers.html

I think it would have too. Although ratings are down across the board for sports pretty much. But Bill/Packers would have probably gotten a significant amount more imo.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Ratings are down for all sports since Covid hit. I'm not completely sure what's driving it, but there was in fact a big upsurge in cord-cutting in the last year (https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/21/pandemic-accelerated-cord-cutting-making-2020-the-worst-ever-year-for-pay-tv/). But I think you're probably right that exhaustion played a role, especially after this insane political year. Also, look at the decline in 18-49 year olds over the past decade: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/super-bowl-ratings-historical-viewership-chart-cbs-nbc-fox-abc/. That decline applies to all sports, especially in 2020.  Anyway, the dip this year was big. Maybe the fact that bars and super bowl parties mostly disappeared this year too played a role. There are a lot of bars in this country. 

^This. 
I kind of thought that the lack (well,

lessening) of SB parties would drive up ratings. Instead of a dozen people watching on one TV, they’d be watching on 6 TVs. But I guess not. 
I think I watched more televised sports last year than I have in any year in my life just for lack of other leisure activities, but I guess I’m in the minority. 
Hey, there was a post-COVID baby bust too. So some things weren’t substitutes. Eating? That was way up. I saw that Frito-Lay sales were up about 30%. Which may also explain the baby bust in addition to the COVID 15. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Bills Rams will be epic next year, in LA

That's what I'm predicting. 

1 hour ago, Michael1962 said:

Hopefully the NFL will realize that JA sells and the officiating will reflect that.  While I hate the preferential treatment Brady gets that is probably not going to change.  So it might as well be directed to JA.

2 weeks ago Josh's banged up receivers were held and abused all day. No flags until garbage time. We'll see what matchup the shield wants to choreograph this next season? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Interesting to me that the last time they were that low was 2007 with an undefeated Patriots team trying to make history. Don't have any good reason other than it was Brady again, and kc again who we already saw last year. I'd guess too that no being able to have a full capacity of fans may have played a role. Who knows 

Not specifically the NFL but I find other sports less interesting to watch without fans, especially the NBA/NCAAB/Hockey... the environment plays such an important role in those sports at least as a viewer..  Without fans it just seems less important and then less interesting because of that.

44 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's what I'm predicting. 

2 weeks ago Josh's banged up receivers were held and abused all day. No flags until garbage time. We'll see what matchup the shield wants to choreograph this next season? 

Green Bay receivers were being held all day in the NFCCG as well.

Next years brady bowl will be a rematch of this one.

• Agree 2

Honestly, I'm just exhausted with sports.  I watch/listen to zero sports talk shows.  The only sports I have tuned into was the NFL, but towards the end of the year, I only watched Bills games.  Even during playoffs, I had to put an effort into watchin the Bills games.

Sports have become too time consuming where it is becoming easier just to tune out.  To keep up, you need to pay attention all year.

I had the superbowl on it background this year, but didn't watch second half entirely.  Don't know how else to explain it as I simply didn't care.

• Like (+1) 1

For all of the hype about Brady vs Mahomes, who was really that interested in that particular storyline?

Where is the 'underdog', or a different compelling storyline?

While lots of people likely had a preference of which team they wanted to win, how many were really bothered?

On top of that, for most regular watchers of NFL games, imho, you could see what was going to happen, by the end of the first quarter. KC O-Line was non existent, mostly because it was made up of nonentities.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

That's false. LA has some of the worst sports TV ratings around. And two lousy markets doesn't matter, the ratings are for the entire country, not just TB and KC.

When you are talking about the Superbowl and the ratings being on the margins then I do think markets could be the difference between 110 million and 105 million viewers. The highest rated Super Bowl was 2013/2014 when Seattle played Denver in New Jersey/NYC Metro area. Now it may sound perplexing that the 13th TV market (Seattle) and 17th TV market (Denver) would produce the highest rating, however the game was a big deal locally in the NYC metro area. It was the first and most likely only Super Bowl played in outdoor cold weather and in NYC metro area. Living in NJ at the time I can tell you that game was a big deal locally, toss in the fact that it was a highly anticipated matchup in football terms and it scored the biggest rating. 

LA might not be an optimal market for ratings on football but other areas like NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago and other bigger markets can draw a few million people that might make the difference.