SB TV ratings. NFL got their dream matchup Bucs/Chiefs, but

Bubba Gump

Also had their lowest ratings since 2007. People are sick of watching Tom Brady, and maybe already getting sick of all the Mahomes hype. I would be willing to bet that a Bills/Packers SB would've generated a bigger audience. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/super-bowl-ratings-game-fails-to-attract-more-than-100-million-viewers.html

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Bubba Gump changed the title to SB TV ratings. NFL got their dream matchup Bucs/Chiefs, but
20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They didn't get their dream matchup.   They got two lousy TV markets.  

If you're in professional sports, NY-LA or something like that is your dream matchup. 

That's false. LA has some of the worst sports TV ratings around. And two lousy markets doesn't matter, the ratings are for the entire country, not just TB and KC.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Also had their lowest ratings since 2007. People are sick of watching Tom Brady, and maybe already getting sick of all the Mahomes hype. I would be willing to bet that a Bills/Packers SB would've generated a bigger audience. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/super-bowl-ratings-game-fails-to-attract-more-than-100-million-viewers.html

Smaller TV markets, general fatigue, Brady fatigue, and a very, very unlikable Chiefs team.  Mahomes is OK, but Kelce is annoying, Jones plays like a d-bag, Reid apparently lets d-bags run amok there, and Hill is beyond a d-bag.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1

America's Team in the red, white and blue wasn't in it this year. Out loveable group of scrappy underdogs came up just short this time around.

Also, Tom Brady is a movie people have seen 1000 times already. A lot of people expected KC to win in a blowout. It wasn't that compelling before, and the actual game was awful to watch. Boring. One sided. Brady again (yay!). 

Refs threw the flags they needed to early to ensure a large TB lead. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

...why is this a dream matchup for the NFL? I'd think that two non-major markets would be anything but ideal assuming maximizing revenue would determine "the NFL's dream matchup"

2 minutes ago, Jobot said:

...why is this a dream matchup for the NFL? I'd think that two non-major markets would be anything but ideal assuming maximizing revenue would determine "the NFL's dream matchup"

I don't think market size has much to do with it. The 2000 TN-STL bowl and the 1998 Den-GB bowl did notably better relative to the years that surrounded them. My pet theory is that teams from Southern California and and Florida drive down ratings because the fan bases aren't committed. The LA area rating for the 2019 LA-NE was really low, relatively speaking. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

America's Team in the red, white and blue wasn't in it this year. Out loveable group of scrappy underdogs came up just short this time around.

Also, Tom Brady is a movie people have seen 1000 times already. A lot of people expected KC to win in a blowout. It wasn't that compelling before, and the actual game was awful to watch. Boring. One sided. Brady again (yay!). 

Refs threw the flags they needed to early to ensure a large TB lead. 

If they wanted to ensure a large early TB lead they would have called the Ronald Jones dive on 4th and goal a TD

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Ratings are down for all sports since Covid hit. I'm not completely sure what's driving it, but there was in fact a big upsurge in cord-cutting in the last year (https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/21/pandemic-accelerated-cord-cutting-making-2020-the-worst-ever-year-for-pay-tv/). But I think you're probably right that exhaustion played a role, especially after this insane political year. Also, look at the decline in 18-49 year olds over the past decade: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/super-bowl-ratings-historical-viewership-chart-cbs-nbc-fox-abc/. That decline applies to all sports, especially in 2020.  Anyway, the dip this year was big. Maybe the fact that bars and super bowl parties mostly disappeared this year too played a role. There are a lot of bars in this country. 

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

• Like (+1) 2

As an avid football fan of over 30 years, this was one of the first Superbowls that I could care less about. I was more interested playing a game on my phone than watching. I have found that over the past 10 years, the NFL is more interested in attracting new viewers than pleasing their loyal fans who turn in every Sunday. They are obsessed with half time shows featuring musical acts that do not gel with regular viewers ie Lady Gaga, Katie Perry and now The Weeknd. 

Identity politics is also hurting viewership. People watch football for escapism. They want to watch a game without being reminded of all the terrible things that are going on in the world. Instead, every year we are faced with another "cause" that the NFL has tried to twist and make their own. I don't want to hear about anything but what is going on with the game. Please just give us 3 -4 hrs of fun and excitement without reminding me how awful society can be. I truly believe people have compassion fatigue and are tired of hearing it all. This was a year when the NFL had the opportunity to get tons of views because most are stuck at home bc of Covid and would gladly watch. Instead, they failed miserably and lost viewership because they have lost the pulse of their true fans. Maybe its time for the NFL to get out of the game of politics and focus on encouraging their true fans to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Ratings are down for all sports since Covid hit. I'm not completely sure what's driving it, but there was in fact a big upsurge in cord-cutting in the last year (https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/21/pandemic-accelerated-cord-cutting-making-2020-the-worst-ever-year-for-pay-tv/). But I think you're probably right that exhaustion played a role, especially after this insane political year. Also, look at the decline in 18-49 year olds over the past decade: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/super-bowl-ratings-historical-viewership-chart-cbs-nbc-fox-abc/. That decline applies to all sports, especially in 2020.  Anyway, the dip this year was big. Maybe the fact that bars and super bowl parties mostly disappeared this year too played a role. There are a lot of bars in this country. 

Yeah it's been reported........but not on the likes of ESPN of course.........that the NFL has been giving back money to the networks this season because advertisers have been asking for money back because of poor ratings.

Viewing habits are changing but there is far too much content that a large amount of the country sees as boring, depressing or inflammatory being forced into the equation by the NFL and NBA specifically.    Obviously the key is to stay continuously entertaining to the audience and the sports leagues are falling short in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 1