2021 First Game: Thursday Night Buffalo at Tampa Bay?

jwhit34

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sal on WGR yesterday said he doesn’t think the league will want to “waste” Dallas vs TB on opening weekend, because that’s a big game that will draw ratings at any point in the season. The opener always draws any way, so why use up that marquee matchup in that slot?

That being said: I predict the Bills’ week 1 opponent will be the Jets at 1pm.

Edit: Bills vs Chiefs as the Sunday Night opener would also be sweet.

We could also open up against the Chiefs or Dolphins which to me more intriguing than the Jets even with a rookie QB. Yet the NFL might also like a rookie vs Tua in an opening game and we end up with the Patriots with their new QB (as can't see them re-signing Cam). 

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We could also open up against the Chiefs or Dolphins which to me more intriguing than the Jets even with a rookie QB. Yet the NFL might also like a rookie vs Tua in an opening game and we end up with the Patriots with their new QB (as can't see them re-signing Cam). 

Bills-Chiefs SNF week 1 would make sense

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

Bills-Chiefs SNF week 1 would make sense

Just like TB the Chiefs have a pretty strong home schedule for primetime games. Non-division is the Steelers, Browns, Cowboys, Giants, Bills. I wouldn't be surprised if its Browns-Chiefs as that is another playoff rematch.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I will believe that the Bills will be inserted into a game of that magnitude when I see it.

Until then, don't count on it.

Dude.  They played four primetime games in the regular season and two more in the playoffs.  They have the 2nd or 3rd best odds in the NFL to win the Super Bowl next year, and they have the MVP runner-up at QB.  What are you smoking?

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Dude.  They played four primetime games in the regular season and two more in the playoffs.  They have the 2nd or 3rd best odds in the NFL to win the Super Bowl next year, and they have the MVP runner-up at QB.  What are you smoking?

Five if you count the Saturday game vs Denver. KC was supposed to be on a Thursday but got moved to Tuesday. The Pats and 49ers were MNF and SNF vs the Steelers. My guess is the Bills get four when the schedule comes out and could be flexed to five just like last year. I also think the Bills get a bunch of national games on Sunday afternoon that the entire country gets to watch. No flying under the radar anymore. 

I am guessing Bucs at Rams to open the 2021 NFL season.  Seems they normally want the Super Bowl winner on that opening Thursday night.  Unless there is another huge QB move, the Rams will be one of the more talked about and intriguing NFC teams this offseason.  Large tv market...

Edited by Buftex

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, New York & Chicago & Dallas are big markets for Prime Time, but their teams suck. I'll give the Bears a little more respect since they made the playoffs, but I don't think the entire nation of fans are dying to see the Bears in the kickoff game.

I think the Cowboys will get it, simply because they are the Cowboys.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, New York & Chicago & Dallas are big markets for Prime Time, but their teams suck. I'll give the Bears a little more respect since they made the playoffs, but I don't think the entire nation of fans are dying to see the Bears in the kickoff game.

I think the Cowboys will get it, simply because they are the Cowboys.

Nobody wants to watch the Bears, not even their own fans. Everyone out here sees no signs of life and would rather draft a QB than sign any of the available FA except Watson but he’s a pipe dream for Bears fans. I would describe where the Bears are right now as a franchise as this. They are at the end of the Whaley Brandon phase, the GM and the HC will be fired next year and a new rebuild will begin. The Mcaskeys are the worst owners in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, the league needs to get more creative. Our last 5 openers have been

At Baltimore

Home vs Jets

At Baltimore

At Jets

Home vs Jets

At Tampa on the opening Thursday night would be a good change of pace. I think it will more likely end up being the Saints or Bears though

The NFL prefers to have divisional matchups early and at the end of the year. So that is why that is there

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Just like TB the Chiefs have a pretty strong home schedule for primetime games. Non-division is the Steelers, Browns, Cowboys, Giants, Bills. I wouldn't be surprised if its Browns-Chiefs as that is another playoff rematch.

Additionally CBS can protect the Bills Chiefs as a 4pm game if they want. Given the viewership for that game I won’t be surprised if that happens.

I'll go on record right now that the NFL is DUMB if they don't seriously consider Bills/Bucs for the Thursday opener.  Are you kidding me?  The nation loves the Bills again, and Buffalo fans will travel to Tampa so that will be an awesome environment.  There is literally no downside to making this the opener -- the AFC runner up vs. the defending champ?  Come on.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I am guessing Bucs at Rams to open the 2021 NFL season.  Seems they normally want the Super Bowl winner on that opening Thursday night.  Unless there is another huge QB move, the Rams will be one of the more talked about and intriguing NFC teams this offseason.  Large tv market...

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will host the opening game of the 2021 NFL season as the defending Super Bowl champions.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-are-the-bills-a-top-candidate-to-open-the-2021-nfl-season-in-tampa

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/02/bills-at-buccaneers-2021-nfl-kickoff-game-6-reasons-why-this-should-be-opening-night-matchup.html

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
additional link
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will host the opening game of the 2021 NFL season as the defending Super Bowl champions.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-are-the-bills-a-top-candidate-to-open-the-2021-nfl-season-in-tampa

You are probably right...but in 2017 the Patriots beat the Rams in the Super Bowl, but the 2018 Thursday night opener was Green Bay at Chicago.  The Patriots hosted the Steelers on Sunday Night Football that year.  But, I get it, the Super Bowl champion will play host opening weekend.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

You are probably right...but in 2017 the Patriots beat the Rams in the Super Bowl, but the 2018 Thursday night opener was Green Bay at Chicago.  The Patriots hosted the Steelers on Sunday Night Football that year.  But, I get it, the Super Bowl champion will play host opening weekend.  

you're right about 2018 - I think the GB/Chicago matchup was an exception due to some commemorative (historical) significance between the 2 teams