2021 First Game: Thursday Night Buffalo at Tampa Bay?

jwhit34

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If we get week one primetime I could see Bills at Chiefs either SNF or MNF. Most likely the league will have the Bills and Jets open up week one for what seems like the 100th time in a row.

Yeah, the league needs to get more creative. Our last 5 openers have been

At Baltimore

Home vs Jets

At Baltimore

At Jets

Home vs Jets

At Tampa on the opening Thursday night would be a good change of pace. I think it will more likely end up being the Saints or Bears though

• Haha (+1) 3

Doubtful.

I don't see them having the kickoff game being an AFC Vs. NFC match-up.

Buccaneers home schedule isn't overly exciting. Unless Drew Brees changes his mind and decides not to retire, then the Saints would be the match-up.

Right now I'm thinking it'll be the Cowboys, as we see the return of Dak Prescott in prime time.

Edited by Mark Vader

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Doubtful.

Buccaneers home schedule isn't overly exciting. Unless Drew Brees changes his mind and decides not  to retire, then the Saints would be the match-up.

Right now I'm thinking it'll be the Cowboys, as we see the return of Dak Prescott in prime time.

From a primetime standpoint TB has a pretty good home schedule. Non division home schedule is the Cowboys, Giants, Bills, Dolphins, Bears.

Buffalo and Miami are good plus three big market teams that have national appeal and bring in strong ratings. 

As much as opening against the Jests isn't a very sexy matchup, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  Starting with a lesser opponent gives the team a chance to gel, get a fairly sure win, and get some momentum for the season.  This is particularly true if the pre-season is scaled back or scrapped again.

• Like (+1) 1

There has only been 3 Thursday Intra-Conference opening matchups since the Thursday night opener started in 2002

2003: Jets at Redskins

2007: Saints at Colts

2016: Panthers at Broncos

The odds of an intra-conference game is slim in my opinion 

Edited by Buffalo03

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

From a primetime standpoint TB has a pretty good home schedule. Non division home schedule is the Cowboys, Giants, Bills, Dolphins, Bears.

Buffalo and Miami are good plus three big market teams that have national appeal and bring in strong ratings. 

Yes, New York & Chicago & Dallas are big markets for Prime Time, but their teams suck. I'll give the Bears a little more respect since they made the playoffs, but I don't think the entire nation of fans are dying to see the Bears in the kickoff game.

I think the Cowboys will get it, simply because they are the Cowboys.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Doubtful.

Buccaneers home schedule isn't overly exciting. Unless Drew Brees changes his mind and decides not to retire, then the Saints would be the match-up.

Assuming Dak re-signs with the 'boys. 

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yep. No way they pass on putting Dallas in the first PT game. 

Fall back is saints cause Jameis being the QB makes that spicy. 

Sal on WGR yesterday said he doesn’t think the league will want to “waste” Dallas vs TB on opening weekend, because that’s a big game that will draw ratings at any point in the season. The opener always draws any way, so why use up that marquee matchup in that slot?

That being said: I predict the Bills’ week 1 opponent will be the Jets at 1pm.

Edit: Bills vs Chiefs as the Sunday Night opener would also be sweet.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Sal on WGR yesterday said he doesn’t think the league will want to “waste” Dallas vs TB on opening weekend, because that’s a big game that will draw ratings at any point in the season. The opener always draws any way, so why use up that marquee matchup in that slot?

That being said: I predict the Bills’ week 1 opponent will be the Jets at 1pm.

Hm. That makes some sense, I just think it’s too juicy to pass up for them. They love giving Dallas undeserved primetime love. 

• Like (+1) 1