Counterfeit rock legend guitars seized at Dulles International Airport

Punching Bag

https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2021/02/counterfeit-guitars-seized-dulles-international-airport/

More than three dozen high-end guitars — including a double neck Gibson SG, like the one used by Jimmy Page in Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven,” as well as an autographed Les Paul from Guns and Roses guitarist Slash — were confiscated at Dulles International Airport, when U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers identified them as counterfeit.

From China of course packed with DHGate jerseys.

• Haha (+1) 1

Given that the guitars were counterfeit, this seems appropriate:

The most expensive was a Gibson Ace Frehley guitar — the guitar named for KISS’ lead guitarist had a suggested retail price of $9,000.

53 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am a little confused because I think the buyer generally knows the guitars arent the real thing when they purchase them.   Is this an issue around IP? 

Sure; these guitars were knock-offs of specifically trademarked guitars.

I doubt they were going to be sold as the actual guitar of the artist...just a replica or tribute guitar.

Thing is, only Gibson or Fender (for example) can sell those, unless they have sold you a license to manufacture such guitars yourself.

These are just knock-offs, like a fake Louis Vuitton purse.

Chinese knock-offs are gigantic problem in IP law; the goods they rip off keep getting more and more sophisticated, as does the quality of their copying.

It's not just Gucci purses anymore! 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am a little confused because I think the buyer generally knows the guitars arent the real thing when they purchase them.   Is this an issue around IP? 

Just go on dhgate and put in gibson les Paul or fender strat. They go for $300 to $500 bucks shipped. They wernt trying, as far as I know, to resell them for thousands. Unless that was the dude that bought its plan. Same deal as their knock off jerseys. If those are caught by customs, they are confiscated. Never buy these things in bulk! One or two items at a time.

19 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Never buy these things in bulk! One or two items at a time

Well if I'm only buying one, I'm going with this one:

image.png.b7f3619f83eca6a27a85b5299e7bd0d9.png

Saw them on this tour, they were fun. Mötley Crüe.

Edited by I am the egg man

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.