Patrick Mahomes foot surgery

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Story referenced:

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-expected-to-have-toe-surgery-following-season

Mahomes was also injured going into the AFC Championship Game and all he did was go 29-of-38 passing for 325 yards with three touchdowns.

Asked this week how his toe is feeling, Mahomes said it's a "lot better."

"Having these two weeks to let it rest and heal up," Mahomes said, "especially being almost three weeks, over three weeks away from the injury itself. If you look at those type of injuries, that kind of gives you the normal timeline. Definitely every single day that I get to rest it, makes it better."

The Chiefs seem to be saying back for training camp, which makes sense for a 6 month injury (back by beginning of August)

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/09/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-turf-toe-surgery-dr-robert-anderson/

Just now, clearwater cadet said:

I don't know why our defense wasn't more aggressive in the AFC championship game.  Maybe they were and it didn't translate into anything.  I don't think we knocked the guy down once.  Didn't Al Davis say within the first 10 plays the Qb must go down and go down hard to set the tone of the game.

the defensive gameplan was just all wrong. I suspect they would have done things much differently in hindsight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Story referenced:

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-expected-to-have-toe-surgery-following-season

The Chiefs seem to be saying back for training camp, which makes sense for a 6 month injury (back by beginning of August)

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/09/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-turf-toe-surgery-dr-robert-anderson/

The good news for him: Dr David Chao is not actually his doctor. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the defensive gameplan was just all wrong. I suspect they would have done things much differently in hindsight. 

I dont necessarily agree with the thought that the defensive gameplan was all wrong.  I just dont think the players were good enough to execute the gameplan at the level needed to beat the Chiefs.  We pulled the safeties back, played a 4 rush technique, and soft zone in the middle.  The only difference between us and the Bucs plan was the LB coverage.  We didn't play man on Kelce and press the line as much.

We needed the line to get more pressure on Mahomes.  Flat out - the line put the rest of the defense in a bad place.  When we adjusted to a riskier approach in the second half - the game was over.  KC was able to take our over aggressive nature and capitalize.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I dont necessarily agree with the thought that the defensive gameplan was all wrong.  I just dont think the players were good enough to execute the gameplan at the level needed to beat the Chiefs.  We pulled the safeties back, played a 4 rush technique, and soft zone in the middle.  The only difference between us and the Bucs plan was the LB coverage.  We didn't play man on Kelce and press the line as much.

We needed the line to get more pressure on Mahomes.  Flat out - the line put the rest of the defense in a bad place.  When we adjusted to a riskier approach in the second half - the game was over.  KC was able to take our over aggressive nature and capitalize.

From your second para, it sounds as though you mean this, but the line was the huge difference.

I'm trying to remember now who pointed it out - might have been Simms, might have been Cover1 - but Tampa Bay did some creative stuff on their line as well, having DEs line up at tackle and so forth.

• Like (+1) 1

Just so long as he's back by the playoffs. I want a rematch.

10 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Your analysis of how the game played out is spot on. But when something isn't working, whether you have the necessary personnel or not, you try something else.

I would've been happy if the Bills lost badly to the Chiefs by blitzing and playing man to man, instead of doing so by playing soft. It made our coaches look like scared rabbits. That's not a good thought, going into a long offseason.

Edited by BornAgainBillsFan

29 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

I don't know why our defense wasn't more aggressive in the AFC championship game.  Maybe they were and it didn't translate into anything.  I don't think we knocked the guy down once.  Didn't Al Davis say within the first 10 plays the Qb must go down and go down hard to set the tone of the game.

Our defense was too busy watching Kelce and Hill run free all day.

18 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Just so long as he's back by the playoffs. I want a rematch.

Your analysis of how the game played out is spot on. But when something isn't working, whether you have the necessary personnel or not, you try something else.

I would've been happy if the Bills lost badly to the Chiefs by blitzing and playing man to man, instead of doing so by playing soft. It made our coaches look like scared rabbits. That's not a good thought, going into a long offseason.

When the defense we laid out wasnt working, we shifted to a more aggressive man coverage approach.  That was at halftime.  And we saw the Chiefs target Hill more and easily put the game away.

The Bucs beat the chiefs by only blitzing FIVE times during the game.  They used their LBs to man cover Kelce, and doubled up Hill.  They forced Mahomes to throw to WRs who are not the cream of the crop, and you saw drops and batted balls all night.

The Bills lost by not getting pressure on Mahomes, and not putting TDs on the board in the redzone.  If they force Mahomes to circle back like he did so much in the Super Bowl, our Safeties can cover more effectively and our LBs can attack the ball more.  Mahomes was getting the ball out of his hand early against the Bills, but struggled doing so against the Bucs.

If you blitz KC, you lose.  Simple as that.  If you get pressure with 4, you are forcing Mahomes to throw into double coverage and that's not the best plan.  If Mahomes beat the Bucs, Bowles (the most aggressive DC in the league) would have been the one who was call the scared rabbit.  The difference was talent at the line (I also want to call out the depleted offensive line for the Chiefs, which also played a huge role in their loss)

10 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I wonder if the team will get 'The Patrick rate' for his surgery. I'm recommending that they use this guy...

image.png.8b41d6eb5102521c4e6aa9eb8a59746c.png

It's the "Patrick Price" my friend. The "Rodgers Rate" is for Aaron. I think you need to sort this out with Drake from State Farm. 

drake-state-farm.jpg