RIP Marty Schottenheimer

Rest in peace, Marty. Until I saw he was in hospice care recently, I hadn't thought about him in a long time. When you look back, he really had an amazing career. When you see some of the quotes about him from former players, it paints a picture of an even better human being.

My deepest sympathies to his wife, Pat. The last 6-7 years must've been hell for her watching the man she loves drift away. The people that care for loved ones suffering from something as horrific as Alzheimer's are truly remarkable.

• Like (+1) 2

Man tough loss. RIP. Seemed like a great guy. On another note, in a quick Google search, found this classy headline from the WaPo

Obituaries

Marty Schottenheimer, NFL coach whose teams wilted in the postseason, dies at 77

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/marty-schottenheimer-nfl-coach-whose-teams-wilted-in-the-postseason-dies-at-77/2021/02/09/701f91e2-6748-11eb-886d-5264d4ceb46d_story.html

Wtf is up with that jeez.

• Shocked 1
  • Angry 2

3 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Man tough loss. RIP. Seemed like a great guy. On another note, in a quick Google search, found this classy headline from the WaPo

Obituaries

Marty Schottenheimer, NFL coach whose teams wilted in the postseason, dies at 77

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/marty-schottenheimer-nfl-coach-whose-teams-wilted-in-the-postseason-dies-at-77/2021/02/09/701f91e2-6748-11eb-886d-5264d4ceb46d_story.html

That's the definition of kicking them when they're down.

4 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Obituaries

The source is all I have to say.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Obituaries

That headline really pisses me off! They should fire whoever is responsible for the headline. Never read that rag again, anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Terrible news. RIP Marty Ball.

I don't believe in heaven but hope it does exist as I can imagine him meeting up with Derek Thomas to talk about their KC days. 

I mention Thomas because I remember a great clip of Marty talking to him on the sideline when Thomas has gotten emotional during a game and the way the coach talked him down and got him focused was great. 

I couldn't find the clip I've referenced so here is Marty delivering some of his motivational speeches instead:

My nephew works at ESPN. He's a Browns' fan. He posted this on FB today:

"RIP Marty. When he came to work at ESPN on NFL Live in 1999 I worked with a lady that used to be his personal assistant in KC. She arranged a meeting. It was a great conversation about his time with the Browns, Arthur B (that how he referred to him), Lindy, Bernie, a certain QB that wore number 7 for another team and ended with both of us near tears. Thanks for all the great memories. It is those years as a 10-13 year old boy that really solidified my love for football and the Cleveland Browns."

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

Obituaries

Ouch. I wonder what they’ll have ready to go when Marv Levy’s time comes. 
It is important to remember that the writer of the story almost never writes the headline. This jarring headline is

on some other staffer. 

Marty’s last year as a coach was 2006

in San Diego. After a career of coaching limited (Bernie Kosar) or well past their prime (every former 49er

from Steve DeBerg to Steve Bono to an old Joe Montana himself) QBs, Marty finally got Drew Brees and then Philip Rivers. In 2006 he and Rivers went 14-2. Prime LaDanian Tomlinson was on that team. They lost in the playoffs to the Pats, but looked poised to make a run. And Marty got canned for the worst idea in football: “let’s bring in Norv Turner.”

I wanted the Bills to hire him. Not sure if he just wasn’t interested in yet another coaching gig or if teams just thought he was too old and out of chances. He had a hell of a record: 200-126 (.613 winning percentage, basically averaging a 10-6 season for his career). RIP Marty. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Obituaries

Wow. Embarrassing by the WP.

RIP Marty... Awesome guy and one of the truly underrated coaches of all time. 

WP should be ashamed of themselves for a headline like that. 

EDIT: if you click the link the headline is already different. I think they heard some feedback on the original. 

Edited by TheFunPolice