ESPN way too early power rankings

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

We could have significant changes on both lines, 2nd CB, 2nd WR, TE, RB, LB... hard to make a sensible power ranking until we get past the draft at the earliest.

Thats why they literally say in the article its the "way too early" power rankings.... its just content to pass time. no harm in it.

57 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not paying them was the right move but their replacements were horrible. Get young hungry players on the front 7.....

This is really it. I don't think the replacements were necessarily horrible but they definitely did not pan out the way Beane had hoped. But moving on from Shaq and Phillips were absolutely the right calls IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30834323/early-nfl-power-rankings-2021-where-do-super-bowl-champion-bucs-chiefs-rank

2. Buffalo Bills

2020 record: 13-3

Offseason in three or fewer words: We'll be back

They were perhaps the three words uttered most often by Bills players and staff following a loss to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game. Buffalo is equipped to make another run in the AFC but will require some tweaks to do so. The Bills will need to hit in this year's draft as they do gymnastics with a diminishing salary cap. But with so many core players either on rookie deals or already locked in, they are built to make another run to the AFC title game. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

I feel like Marcel is a closet Bills fan!   Guy has great analysis.  Perhaps he is just one of the few national guys who pays attention to the Bills.  At any rate, agree with this.  Although hard to justify having Tampa below us.  

1 hour ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

The word after the game was that Vita Vea ripping up KCs offensive interior let their MLBs "see everything".  DT play has to improve, and for god sake stop wasting Ed Oliver at zero or 1 technique and get a real nose.

totally agree.  Get a DT in FA, another one in the draft, Star is back, move Edmunds to outside LB, draft inside LB.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Agree that we should cut the guys we signed last year.  Keep Jerry, Ed, Harrison, Star, Aj, johnson and Zimmer.  Get rid of Jefferson, butler and Addison.  

I disagree about phillips and Shaq.  Both were next to useless this year and both the cards and fins are regretting that they can’t get out of either contract this offseason.  

While I haven’t dug deep into scouting pass rushers yet, Patrick Jones, from Pittsburgh has really impressive me so far.  6’5 260 and can get to the QB with multiple moves. If he’s there at 30, I could see us pulling the trigger

I don't follow college ball so have no idea who we should go after. But I did research a few edge rushers and really took a liking to Joseph Ossai from Texas.

Be interested to hear what the college experts think about him and whether he would fit our scheme or even be there when we pick (I've seen mocks where he is and some where he's long gone)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This offseason is paramount as far as how far we’ll go next year, especially in terms of the draft. Very little cap flexibility, must draft very well throughout the entire draft. Need to strike gold on our mid round and late round picks. OL, DL, TE seem to be our biggest needs.. May have enough cap for a few second tier free agents, but that’s about it.

29 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I don't follow college ball so have no idea who we should go after. But I did research a few edge rushers and really took a liking to Joseph Ossai from Texas.

Be interested to hear what the college experts think about him and whether he would fit our scheme or even be there when we pick (I've seen mocks where he is and some where he's long gone)

Haven’t watched Ossai’s tape yet, I’ll probably dive into some today!  While there doesn’t seem to be any top tier pass rushers in this draft, there does seem to be some talented players that may be there at 30.  That’s all we can ask for! 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Honestly, this seems kinda disrespectful to Tampa.

You think?

They beat GB twice. They dominated not just the Super Bowl vs KC, but also the second half of that regular season game. They crushed the team that had just crushed the Bills. They ended the season as clearly the best team in football, and it wasn’t even close. Everyone important seems to be coming back. And they are 4th, behind KC, us, and GB?

Was this written before the Super Bowl?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

2 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

for god sake stop wasting Ed Oliver at zero or 1 technique and get a real nose.

Why does McD insist on playing guys out of position like Oliver above, and Edmunds, whom most agree should be moved to the outside?? Ugh.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, chongli said:

Why does McD insist on playing guys out of position like Oliver above, and Edmunds, whom most agree should be moved to the outside?? Ugh.

McD is a fine coach. But he’s still a young coach, and he’s still in the mode

of “the defense we built in Carolina is the model for a successful NFL defense.”

Luke Kuechly was a dominant playmaking MLB there, so he’s focused on taking the raw talent of Edmunds and shaping him into the same type of player. 
Star was the middle of the line wall, so bring him in here. 
That allowed Kawann Short to be a playmaker next to Star (11 sacks in their SB season), so make Ed Oliver the new Kawann Short. 
I think he’ll start to show a bit more flexibility as the problems with the sustainability of that Carolina model (without the Carolina players in their primes) is becoming apparent. The distinction with the offense is obvious,

since Daboll has adapted to his personnel rather than making his personnel adapt to his scheme. Maybe a little more of a hands-off approach on defense is in order, letting Frazier (or whomever it may be) do what he thinks is optimal?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

McD is a fine coach. But he’s still a young coach, and he’s still in the mode

of “the defense we built in Carolina is the model for a successful NFL defense.”

Luke Kuechly was a dominant playmaking MLB there, so he’s focused on taking the raw talent of Edmunds and shaping him into the same type of player. 
Star was the middle of the line wall, so bring him in here. 
That allowed Kawann Short to be a playmaker next to Star (11 sacks in their SB season), so make Ed Oliver the new Kawann Short. 
I think he’ll start to show a bit more flexibility as the problems with the sustainability of that Carolina model (without the Carolina players in their primes) is becoming apparent. The distinction with the offense is obvious,

since Daboll has adapted to his personnel rather than making his personnel adapt to his scheme. Maybe a little more of a hands-off approach on defense is in order, letting Frazier (or whomever it may be) do what he thinks is optimal?

Got it! Thanks for the detailed explanation. I hope McD is reading this thread!

5 hours ago, klos63 said:

We could have significant changes on both lines, 2nd CB, 2nd WR, TE, RB, LB... hard to make a sensible power ranking until we get past the draft at the earliest.

If you had to put out football informational content 24/7, you might think otherwise! 

LOL

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think Lawson or Phillips would have made a difference.  They both didn't produce with the Dolphins and Cards.  

You shouldn't base it off of their production this year because it's a different team, different scheme etc etc.   Lawson, though no spectacular was a good edge setter who could get some second-third effort sacks.   Phillips was a player for the Bills the past couple years that could make some really nice penetration sacks and TFL.

I'm not second guessing Beane not re-signing those guys but the production they gave this team the year before last was more than the guys we brought in.   The Defensive Line was most certainly weaker against both the run and pass from that year.     

I have no doubt that Beane will make the defensive line a main priority in this year's FA/draft.    

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Magox said:

You shouldn't base it off of their production this year because it's a different team, different scheme etc etc.   Lawson, though no spectacular was a good edge setter who could get some second-third effort sacks.   Phillips was a player for the Bills the past couple years that could make some really nice penetration sacks and TFL.

I'm not second guessing Beane not re-signing those guys but the production they gave this team the year before last was more than the guys we brought in.   The Defensive Line was most certainly weaker against both the run and pass from that year.     

I have no doubt that Beane will make the defensive line a main priority in this year's FA/draft.    

The schedule the Bills played in 2020 was also one of the tougher ones they've faced since the league went to 16 games.

The schedule they played in 2019 was probably the easiest one they have faced in that time.

That was the primary reason for the decline in the defensive rankings.

As Cover 1 has pointed out in their analysis though........the system has become very predictable.......which necessitates either adaptation of scheme or actually finally getting some pass rushers/playmakers in the front 7 that can force teams to make quicker decisions.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think Lawson or Phillips would have made a difference.  They both didn't produce with the Dolphins and Cards.  

But they did produce with the Bills in the Bills system... players play best in certain systems, and with certain other players, it’s the lust for money that drives them from success to mediocrity...

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The schedule the Bills played in 2020 was also one of the tougher ones they've faced since the league went to 16 games.

The schedule they played in 2019 was probably the easiest one they have faced in that time.

That was the primary reason for the decline in the defensive rankings.

As Cover 1 has pointed out in their analysis though........the system has become very predictable.......which necessitates either adaptation of scheme or actually finally getting some pass rushers/playmakers in the front 7 that can force teams to make quicker decisions.

I agree to an extent. I do slightly take issue with the system becoming predictable thing. I think what made them more vanilla in their coverages was a failure to win on first down for most of the season and 2/3 playoff games. The were actually pretty multiple with their coverage schemes in 2019 and while it is undoubtedly true they faced an easier slate of opposing QBs even the good ones they faced found it tough. That first New England game even Brady was totally befuddled. What happened this year is we were a much worse 1st down defense and it got us out of some of the less predictable looks we showed last year. I suppose it does come back to the same place - the answer to that is better talent up front. 

22 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

But they did produce with the Bills in the Bills system... players play best in certain systems, and with certain other players, it’s the lust for money that drives them from success to mediocrity...

I wasn't pounding the table for either and I still wouldn't for Phillips. But replacing Shaq with Addison was a dumb move. I don't know what the Bills FO saw when they watched Mario Addison in 2019 with Carolina but to my eye what was evident was a clear decline in his play. If they'd let Shaq walk and saved the money or put it together with some other cash for a high end replacement I'd be less frustrated. But they replaced him with an older player who was not an upgrade for the same money.

Whatever they do with the defense, they have to infuse it with a "nasty" element that they are lacking sometimes.  The Chiefs had it against us... the Bucs defense had it the other night...the Ravens always have it. They may not win every game, but most everyone was a little scared of Balitmore in the playoffs, as much becasue their defensive reputation as their QB.

Edited by Buftex

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Whatever they do with the defense, they have to infuse it with a "nasty" element that they are lacking sometimes.  The Chiefs had it against us... the Bucs defense had it the other night...the Ravens always have it. They may not win every game, but most everyone was a little scared of Balitmore in the playoffs, as much becasue their defensive reputation as their QB.

Dalvin Tomlinson. Put him next to Oliver and watch Oliver have a 10 sack season. 

• Like (+1) 1