ESPN way too early power rankings

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree to an extent. I do slightly take issue with the system becoming predictable thing. I think what made them more vanilla in their coverages was a failure to win on first down for most of the season and 2/3 playoff games. The were actually pretty multiple with their coverage schemes in 2019 and while it is undoubtedly true they faced an easier slate of opposing QBs even the good ones they faced found it tough. That first New England game even Brady was totally befuddled. What happened this year is we were a much worse 1st down defense and it got us out of some of the less predictable looks we showed last year. I suppose it does come back to the same place - the answer to that is better talent up front. 

I wasn't pounding the table for either and I still wouldn't for Phillips. But replacing Shaq with Addison was a dumb move. I don't know what the Bills FO saw when they watched Mario Addison in 2019 with Carolina but to my eye what was evident was a clear decline in his play. If they'd let Shaq walk and saved the money or put it together with some other cash for a high end replacement I'd be less frustrated. But they replaced him with an older player who was not an upgrade for the same money.

I would love to know what was behind that decision for Beane. 

I remember a lot of posters here disliking Shaq, whether it was for his draft slot vs output, the rookie season shoulder injury fiasco, the fact that he was a Whaley pick, or maybe it was that he didn't seem to turn it on until a contract year, he wasn't well liked. 

6 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I would love to know what was behind that decision for Beane. 

I remember a lot of posters here disliking Shaq, whether it was for his draft slot vs output, the rookie season shoulder injury fiasco, the fact that he was a Whaley pick, or maybe it was that he didn't seem to turn it on until a contract year, he wasn't well liked. 

4 sacks and 4 TFL doesn't exactly scream great season in Mia.  Brandon did the right thing letting Lawson & Phillips walk. Their replacements though were just as bad.

IF somehow the Bills can retain Mongo, D.Williams, Milano and some of their role players along with the key restricted players (Bojo, Wallace and Ike) and then have an impactful draft class (maybe add a pass rush and a pass catcher and some supplemental depth as this team will lose depth) if all those chips fall then I think this team will be 12+ wins and back into contention. 

That's a lot to ask for McBeane but let's see where they place the cap and how good they are at managing the cap.

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The defense actually improved a lot throughout the year. They do need a younger pass rusher to step up. They don't have to rip anything up, but an upgrade to Murphy and Williams is needed. Right now Hughes, Addison, and Epenesa are locks. Need to add a good pass rusher to complete the rotation. 

At DT one of Butler/Jefferson will likely be released for cap reasons and the return of Star. Could possibly replace both but I don't think they will. 

I think DL should be addressed via free agency. We've drafted DL very high recently. Let them continue to develop. 

At CB they will likely look to add a legit #2 CB. It may be time to spend a quality draft pick on a CB again. 1st or 2nd round. 

As a whole yes but our line for the most part sucked

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Compared to top 15? Could you just tell me the numbers? Where did they rank in QB pressures? That's a better stat. 

no getting home matters...  QB pressures they were like 11th Id have to look it up but total tacks and total sacks we were 19th and 21st defensive line.

we need a one tech DT that can take up bodies... we didn't have a good one this year and our line suffered for it. 

again games are won and lost in the trenches.. Where our GM gets A+ in many areas he gets an F on our O'Line and D'Line

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

no getting home matters...  QB pressures they were like 11th Id have to look it up but total tacks and total sacks we were 19th and 21st defensive line.

we need a one tech DT that can take up bodies... we didn't have a good one this year and our line suffered for it. 

again games are won and lost in the trenches.. Where our GM gets A+ in many areas he gets an F on our O'Line and D'Line

Pressure actually affects a game more. They were an average DL. Yes, a 1 tech would do a lot. I mentioned Tomlinson in another thread. 

As for adding an edge rusher, yes I want one.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree to an extent. I do slightly take issue with the system becoming predictable thing. I think what made them more vanilla in their coverages was a failure to win on first down for most of the season and 2/3 playoff games. The were actually pretty multiple with their coverage schemes in 2019 and while it is undoubtedly true they faced an easier slate of opposing QBs even the good ones they faced found it tough. That first New England game even Brady was totally befuddled. What happened this year is we were a much worse 1st down defense and it got us out of some of the less predictable looks we showed last year. I suppose it does come back to the same place - the answer to that is better talent up front. 

I wasn't pounding the table for either and I still wouldn't for Phillips. But replacing Shaq with Addison was a dumb move. I don't know what the Bills FO saw when they watched Mario Addison in 2019 with Carolina but to my eye what was evident was a clear decline in his play. If they'd let Shaq walk and saved the money or put it together with some other cash for a high end replacement I'd be less frustrated. But they replaced him with an older player who was not an upgrade for the same money.

It was in hind sight not such a good move to let them walk, especially with the money spent, I initially was okay with them walking, but as it turned out I was not so brilliant as it were... 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you hitting on me?

Doth protest to much I think... 

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Hence the "way too early" part

Guess it should be 'unnecessary' or 'useless' .

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol. So make the AFC Championship game and not have serious cap issues but make significant changes to most of the roster? 

No. We'll see 2-3 significant changes but TE is really the only significant change we can expect. Everything else will be based on cap and opportunity to upgrade. 

I think CB opposite White is the next most likely change. Beyond that I don't know. 

You don't think Milano and Brown may be gone, Butler , Jefferson, Addison?  Williams, Feliciano?  Really?

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Pressure actually affects a game more. They were an average DL. Yes, a 1 tech would do a lot. I mentioned Tomlinson in another thread. 

As for adding an edge rusher, yes I want one.

Fact of the matter is our D'Line did suck and so did our O'Line on running downs.  Lots of fixing to be done DT.. Is actually easy...  we have 2 DT under contract we dump them we get around 13 mil. Plenty for a B+ or better one tech DT.  Edge needs to be improved through first couple rounds in draft along with the RB situation.  Fixing the O'Line to have more productive running downs is another beast in itself. We could go into next year with 3 new starting O'Line men

Anyhow I agree pressures help but we need to close the deal.. i think we both agree on that.. .anyhow cheers.

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think Lawson or Phillips would have made a difference.  They both didn't produce with the Dolphins and Cards.  

Phillips had 9.5 sacks vs 5 each for Klein and Addison this year.

Phillips was decidedly more disruptive last year.

Shaq had 6.5 sacks and was also disruptive . He was also playing for a contract which is why I was suspect of him 

BUT Lawson and Phillips both had career years in Buffalo in 2019. Why?

Sometimes, the output is greater than the sum of the parts.

I AGREED with letting them walk last year. What I’m saying is we missed their production and the guys we brought in ( on the cheap) didn’t provide as much.

Maybe it was a “ If it’s not broke don’t fix it “ scenario . All I know is this years D line production stat wise and eye test were woefully less than last year. 

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agree that we should cut the guys we signed last year.  Keep Jerry, Ed, Harrison, Star, Aj, johnson and Zimmer.  Get rid of Jefferson, butler and Addison.  

I disagree about phillips and Shaq.  Both were next to useless this year and both the cards and fins are regretting that they can’t get out of either contract this offseason.  

While I haven’t dug deep into scouting pass rushers yet, Patrick Jones, from Pittsburgh has really impressive me so far.  6’5 260 and can get to the QB with multiple moves. If he’s there at 30, I could see us pulling the trigger

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The defense actually improved a lot throughout the year. They do need a younger pass rusher to step up. They don't have to rip anything up, but an upgrade to Murphy and Williams is needed. Right now Hughes, Addison, and Epenesa are locks. Need to add a good pass rusher to complete the rotation. 

At DT one of Butler/Jefferson will likely be released for cap reasons and the return of Star. Could possibly replace both but I don't think they will. 

I think DL should be addressed via free agency. We've drafted DL very high recently. Let them continue to develop. 

At CB they will likely look to add a legit #2 CB. It may be time to spend a quality draft pick on a CB again. 1st or 2nd round. 

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The guys we replaced them with out-performed those guys.  Addison--who had a bit of a down here-- still had more sacks than Shaq. And if you combine his production with AJ Epenesa's--who came on well as the season progressed--the move to let Shaq go made a lot of sense.  Phillips was banged up a lot this year in Arizona. 

9 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

I don't really think it was. Neither have been great since they left

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think Lawson or Phillips would have made a difference.  They both didn't produce with the Dolphins and Cards.  

I hear Phins like Lawson. Same as when he was here, productiob doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but teammates and fans get what he's doing.

Not that he was a game changer for us or the Fins. He simply ain't bad.