Chiefs vs Bills rebuild comparison

Don't forget: it was a GIVEN after Seattle's 2nd SB in a row that "we would be seeing a lot more of Russell Wilson in these games"

That was 7 years ago. Wilson turns 33 next season. 

It is in no way guranteed that Mahomes will ever play in another SB. Maybe he will. Or he could play on average teams due to his contract and end up losing in the playoffs year after year like Russ has. 

Don't even get me started on the "best QB in the game" Rodgers, who never wins anything except regular season awards. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you slightly misremember on the bolded. The reason the Chiefs won the race to Smith was because they had the #1 pick in the 2nd round and as such San Fran wanted two seconds plus another pick from the Bills to match that (think it was our 2013 4th from memory) and the consensus was Buddy was smart not to give up the extra pick. That pick turned into the first bad Duke Williams we had.... the one who played safety. 

I agree on the it doesn't take more than 4 years to rebuild into a Superbowl team. That is absolutely true. That is why I felt the Bills window was open this year. It also doesn't close this year though. The Bills are going to have other chances to make and win the Superbowl over the next 4 years with the way their roster is constructed so long as what we saw from Josh this year is not a one off (I have no reason to believe it will be). Beyond that is harder to predict. 

It's simply imperative for the Bills to start beating the Chiefs off the field and then on.    Something they have consistently failed to do since Reid arrived in KC.  They aren't just at different stages of roster development where the Chiefs are simply going to age out for them.   It's doable but McBeane need to MAKE it happen.   One thing Reid has proven in KC is that he's not going to come back to the pack for you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are reasons for that.........re-builds can get over-ripe on the vine in the salary cap era.......and coaches who can't adapt their schemes(perhaps like McDermott with his defense this season) start seeing diminishing returns.

Reid is still thriving because he adapts.........not because his system has traction now that he has been there 8 years.

Main issue with McD this off-season and last was whether he could change his focus away from his defensive scheme and the personnel to suit it.

An 8-9 man DL rotation that ate up 51M (minus Star's full contract) indicated he wasn't interested in it.  This off-season is largely about re-tooling the roster to support Josh and finding a pass rush.  To win in this league McD's gonna need to let go of the defensive investment and he and Beane are gonna need to find lower cost options in UFA and via the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's simply imperative for the Bills to start beating the Chiefs off the field and then on.    Something they have consistently failed to do since Reid arrived in KC.  They aren't just at different stages of roster development where the Chiefs are simply going to age out for them.   It's doable but McBeane need to MAKE it happen.   One thing Reid has proven in KC is that he's not going to come back to the pack for you. 

I agree, I think everyone in their right mind agrees the Bills need to start beating the Chiefs off the field and then on. I don’t think anyone is arguing that. 

If you want to start the clock with Reid’s arrival, fine, it’s not unreasonable. If you’re going to do that, you need to concede that since McBeane arrived they have considerably closed the gap. We can all agree the Bills were futile for a long time, but we can’t pin anything pre-2017 on McDermott and Beane. If you want to bash the Pegula family for the wrong decisions prior, but that isn’t an indication of what this group has done in 4 years. Bash McBeane for going 1-2 against KC so far, with the 2 losses coming in brutal fashion this year, or trading the pick that became Mahomes. That is all perfectly fine, but I’m not really following the logic that Reid is 5-1 against Buffalo. These guys weren’t calling the shots for 3 of those games. It has no bearing over them, I’m sorry. 

We’re not in the same conversation as KC at the moment, I’m acknowledging that. The point @Inigo Montoya was trying to make is that the gap has been closed and we are in the conversation to make that leap. Things need to be done to make that happen this off-season. The oddsmakers believe we’re going back to the AFCCG next season and as the team with the 3rd best odds in the entire NFL of winning it all. 

Edited by JGMcD2

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I agree, I think everyone in their right mind agrees the Bills need to start beating the Chiefs off the field and then on. I don’t think anyone is arguing that. 

If you want to start the clock with Reid’s arrival, fine, it’s not unreasonable. If you’re going to do that, you need to concede that since McBeane arrived they have considerably closed the gap. We can all agree the Bills were futile for a long time, but we can’t pin anything pre-2017 on McDermott and Beane. If you want to bash the Pegula family for the wrong decisions prior, but that isn’t an indication of what this group has done in 4 years. Bash McBeane for going 1-2 against KC so far, with the 2 losses coming in brutal fashion this year, or trading the pick that became Mahomes. That is all perfectly fine, but I’m not really following the logic that Reid is 5-1 against Buffalo. These guys weren’t calling the shots for 3 of those games. It has no bearing over them, I’m sorry. 

We’re not in the same conversation as KC at the moment, I’m acknowledging that. The point @Inigo Montoya was trying to make is that the gap has been closed and we are in the conversation to make that leap. Things need to be done to make that happen this off-season. The oddsmakers believe we’re going back to the AFCCG next season and as the team with the 3rd best odds in the entire NFL of winning it all. 

Closed the gap?

The Mahomes trade CREATED the gap.

Prior to Mahomes stepping on the field these were two pretty evenly matched rosters........which made it frustrating that the Bills kept blowing games they had in control to the Chiefs under Marrone and Rex.

McD beat them in KC in 2017.........but once Mahomes stepped on the field in 2018 they went into another area code.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Closed the gap?

The Mahomes trade CREATED the gap.

Prior to Mahomes stepping on the field these were two pretty evenly matched rosters........which made it frustrating that the Bills kept blowing games they had in control to the Chiefs under Marrone and Rex.

McD beat them in KC in 2017.........but once Mahomes stepped on the field in 2018 they went into another area code.

That Jamal Charles 4th and 1 game you mentioned earlier is still the sickest I have ever felt as a Bills fan. I knew it there and then that was the game that the season depended on. Win that and we were in. It was my eldest neice's christening and I stood outside the after party in the freezing cold killing my 4G to stream it. The 4th and 1, the McKelvin punt muff, Bryce Brown fumbling through the endzone from the 1 yard line, Orton having 4 downs from inside their 20 at the end and trying the same darn fade pattern on every throw (was probably only 2 but felt like every throw). God that game made me mad.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Respectfully disagree FireChans

I don't think your position that the clock for the Chiefs starts the day they drafted Mahomes, and the clock starts for the Bills the day they drafted Allen is reasonable.  It's not just about the QB.  Football is still a team sport, and while the QB position is the most important, we just watched the best QB in the NFL lose the Super Bowl because he had no O-Line in front of him.  

It Reid took 7 years to build a Super Bowl winning roster in KC.  That roster, without Mahomes starting at QB, had been in the playoffs four of the previous five seasons.  It was a deep, talented roster with experienced coaches and Mahomes pushed them over the top. 

We are in year four of the McDermott / Beane regime and they put together a roster that made it to the AFC Championship game.  It took Andy Reid six seasons to get a roster into the AFC Championship game for the first time.  By that standard, McDermott and Beane are father along than Andy Reid was at year four of their respective regimes, and that's how I see it.

We might just have to agree to disagree on this one.

🍻

Yeah but if you play this game with every other team in the league, it becomes silly. 

The Packers under LeFleur since 2019 are better than the Reid Chiefs since 2013. But what does that mean? Rodgers is old. Their roster doesn’t appear good enough to get them over the hump. They need urgency, not patience. 

Ditto with the Rams.

I would argue that this viewpoint sends the wrong message. 

We don’t need to be patient for 7 years. We shouldn’t want to or need to be. Josh Allen is in his prime and cost controlled for another season. We shouldn’t care about being better than 2015 Chiefs. That team wasn’t good enough. We should care about being better than every 2021 team in the NFL and hoisting that trophy next year.

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Reid and Marrone were hired at the same time.  

That's the timeline that matters........when Reid arrived in KC.  

The Bills and Chiefs were pretty comparable rosters during the Marrone/Rex regimes........it seemed like every year there was a key swing game between them and Reid would always come out on top.

There was a home game where Manny Lawson gave up contain for two long runs to Jamal Charles in a game the Bills should have won and another home game they should have won where Jeff Tuel threw that pick six when he had the Bills near the goal line..........then of course the game under Rex where Watkins had like 200 yards receiving in the first half and then the Bills managed to blow that game too!    

Three defeats snatched from the jaws of victory that really hurt the Bills playoff chances and enhanced those of the Chiefs.........which greatly contributed to McDermott even being here.

By that time, if you were paying attention,  the Chiefs should have been getting on your nerves.

So the new guy McDermott comes in and what does he do?   Trades Mahomes to KC when the organization desperately needs a QB.:lol::doh:

That season the Bills finally got an important win in KC........but KC still made the playoffs.

They've been up the Bills azz since Reid got to KC.

People might not like THAT timeline but this "we're only in year 4" bullsh*t does not tell the story of these two franchises at all and it's not like the Bills have a roster that's 4 years younger(it's older actually) or that they are separated by like $100M in cap space(only about $20M).    

They are peers who are in very similar stages in their development...........the Bills just have had less success.

Where you hiding like a scared little girl for so long?