Comparing the Super Bowl to the AFC Championship Game

Arm of Harm

4 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

4) I said it at the time and I'll say it again: the Bills defense was absolutely humiliated, destroyed, completely dominated by the Chiefs offense. There is no excuse for that. On the 7 Chiefs drives which didn't end in kneel-downs, the Chiefs scored 5 TDs and 1 FG. That defensive effort was bad enough that it alone determined the outcome of the Bills/Chiefs game, without reference to anything the Bills offense did. Compare that to the 9 points the Bucs defense allowed the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Yes, I realize that could have been 12 points had the Chiefs kicked a field goal rather than going for it on 4th down. Call it 9 points or call it 12, either way the Bills defensive effort looks even worse now than it did at the time. The Bucs have provided an object lesson in how the Chiefs offense can and should be stopped.

^this. Plenty to examine in the Bucs offensive approach, particularly when it comes to time to throw negating the Chiefs pass rush...but the tip of the cap goes to keeping one of the most complete offenses in the NFL to three FGs all game. That’s the perfect player execution and designed scheme approach - we had neither of that in the AFCCG from the defense.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If buffalo tried to run a similar attacking defense to what Tampa did hill and hardman would of had multiple 50+ yard touchdowns. 
We do not have the personnel to play aggressive. That’s why halfway through the season we had to constantly try and scheme blitzes and when the blitz didn’t get home we got burnt. We don’t have the dogs to attack in the front 7. 

what makes it all so much more annoying is all the money tied up in the D line. 

45 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

About those QB playoff stats:

Josh Allen

Passing:  77 - 120 - 817 yards - 5 TD's - 1 INT - 64% completion

Rushing:  25 - 145 - 1 TD

Total Yards = 962

Total TD's = 6

Total TO's = 1

Playoff Record = 2 - 1

Patric Mahomes:

Passing:  76 - 1117 - 850 yards - 4 TD's - 2 INT - 65% completion

Rushing:  13 - 52 yards - 1 TD

Total Yards = 902

Total TD's = 5

Total TO's = 2

Playoff Record = 2 - 1

Looks about the same to me. In fact I would give Allen the edge.  Am I missing something?

Mahomes attempts looks like a type o. Looks similar to me. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

what makes it all so much more annoying is all the money tied up in the D line. 

They swung and missed on those guys. It’s a risk you take in free agency. They thought they could get more production from those signings and it didn’t work out. I expect they’ll do their best to remedy the problems. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Am I crazy? Haha I watched the game last night and saw the exact same 'soft defense' that we played... the bucs just butchered them with a 4 man rush because the chiefs have no oline depth.  I think seeing how much pressure the bucs were getting is skewing peoples perception.  they hardly blitzed at all and they gave kelce a ton of underneath stuff...the guy was wide open the entire first half.  They knew that if the chiefs had to work for each first down eventually they were gonna get home for a huge sack.  We trusted our guys to do the same and just got outplayed...need to add a piece or two to the dline 

It just proves how poor of a strategy it was for US. They had beaten us the first game as we did that , and we all knew/ know our d line never caused pressure alone in any game last year.  The games we blitzed a lot in , we got pressure ( like Denver), so using no blitzes against kc was literally doing the same thing again but expecting different results. Made zero sense. Our d line and lbs are no where close to the bucs so we have huge work ahead.   Also they pressed and played physical with kc while just rushing 4. We let crossing routes, backs, and Kelce come off the line without ever contesting them. White is twice the lb right now that Edmunds is!  He was all over the field.  He got a pick against Kelce near the end zone in a superbowl , edmunds has 3 total in three years!  

So while on the surface the strategy seemed similar , it was a total fail by Frazier who knew his d line had not gotten pressure all year without sending more people.  Colossal fail twice against KC by our coaching staff.  With the cap issues , poor results from our free agents on the d line, we need a lot of work. Also with the likely departure of Milano , our Lb depth needs work.  Tb has everybody coming back I believe , and Kc has a run game, mahomes, and a better d line. It’s not like they are going to be standing still while just the Bills address issues. Great season, but wasted by poor coaching along both lines in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Also , mahomes gets better protection if his regular tackles played last night.  Allen is our one ace, but he needs a run gsme just like Manning, Elway, Brady, and Mahomes all have had to win the Super Bowl. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This isn't rocket science.  Tampa's front 7 was far superior to ours. David could actually cover Kelce, Edmunds I guess can't or Sean doesn't think so. White is worlds better than Milano. Their front 4 put tremendous pressure without blitzing. Every fan knows where we need to improve. 

1. Front 7

2. OL

Yep.  We couldn't duplicate what the Bucs did in our game against the Chiefs, or even come close to it.

Our coaches are smart.  Playing soft and bend/don't break was a risk, but they deemed it was their best chance.  I can't fault that, even though it didn't work. We don't have the kind of players on D that the Bucs do.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

1) The Bucs did an outstanding job with defensive coaching. Instead of the defeatist, "give 'em the short stuff and hope they make a mistake" soft zone philosophy the Bills employed against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game, the Bucs made them earn everything. This was exactly the defensive philosophy I wish the Bills had employed in their game against the Chiefs.

2) The Bucs players played much better than the Bills had. The Bucs controlled the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense, whereas the Bills were dominated by the Chiefs on both sides of the ball.

3) I wish the AFC Championship Game had been officiated the way the Super Bowl had been. The Chiefs were doing things which beyond question should have been flagged in the AFC Championship Game. Nice to see that stuff finally get flagged, even if the flags came a game too late.

4) I said it at the time and I'll say it again: the Bills defense was absolutely humiliated, destroyed, completely dominated by the Chiefs offense. There is no excuse for that. On the 7 Chiefs drives which didn't end in kneel-downs, the Chiefs scored 5 TDs and 1 FG. That defensive effort was bad enough that it alone determined the outcome of the Bills/Chiefs game, without reference to anything the Bills offense did. Compare that to the 9 points the Bucs defense allowed the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Yes, I realize that could have been 12 points had the Chiefs kicked a field goal rather than going for it on 4th down. Call it 9 points or call it 12, either way the Bills defensive effort looks even worse now than it did at the time. The Bucs have provided an object lesson in how the Chiefs offense can and should be stopped.

5) Throughout his career Patrick Mahomes has been completely set up for success. His offensive cast would dominate the other team's defense, his coaching staff would dominate the other team's coaching staff. He sat and learned as a rookie, and became the starter in his second year. In contrast, Josh Allen began his career under just about the worst circumstances possible. He had what might have been the worst OL in team history. His WR corps consisted of Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, and the rookie WR Zay Jones. He was thrown in as a rookie, in game 1, after the starter's reps in the offseason had all been given to Nate Peterman. Hard to meaningfully compare numbers when you've literally done everything possible to set one guy up for success and the other up for failure. This is the first game that I can remember in which Mahomes didn't have the benefit of his supporting cast dominating the other team's defense, and in which his coaching staff failed to dominate the opponent's defensive coaches. In that situation Mahomes looked very human. Very very beatable. Claims that Mahomes is better than Josh Allen are becoming increasingly less convincing, at least to me. Allen clearly outplayed Mahomes in the second half of the 2020 season. I'm not saying I know which one is better than the other, because I don't. It will be interesting to see how things shake out over the next few years.

1. What game plan were you watching? The Bucs ran the same concept and schemes on Defense the Bills did. They just executed them better because their skill position players are just better.

2. As far as the lines go. Defensively it helps having massive guys like Suh and Vea clogging and disrupting an O Line that was missing their 2 starting tackles. Offensively all Tampa did was take what was given as Brady was his usual self getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds and taking the check down every time it was available. Oh and it's amazing how a competent power run game can keep a defense honest isn't it?

3. True, it was officiated differently. The difference was the Bills kept waiting for the refs to throw flags and to take control of the chippy play when it was obvious they were going to let them play "sticky" as Romo said. When you get punched in the mouth you either punch back harder or fold into the fetal and take it. Guess which one the Bills did?

4. The Bucs are a better defensive unit, period. They have the better skill players and executed, it's that simple. As I mentioned in #3,  when KC tried getting physical the Bucs accepted the challenge and smacked them back even harder. They didn't wait for the officials though in all fairness they didn't have to deal with the physicality the Bills did because they were actually flagging the holding and PI's from KC.

5. Don't know what any of that had to do with the SB but if you're trying to make the point that Mahomes was brought up and groomed better than Allen while the whole time having an all star cast on offense? Yeah, sure. But make no mistake that Mahomes is then and now the better and more polished QB. He has better fluidity to his game and throws with better accuracy and anticipation since the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I love JA and he is the future in Buffalo but Mahomes is a better finished product. I will admit though Josh would benefit from a Kelce and a better running game.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

1) The Bucs did an outstanding job with defensive coaching. Instead of the defeatist, "give 'em the short stuff and hope they make a mistake" soft zone philosophy the Bills employed against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game, the Bucs made them earn everything. This was exactly the defensive philosophy I wish the Bills had employed in their game against the Chiefs.

2) The Bucs players played much better than the Bills had. The Bucs controlled the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense, whereas the Bills were dominated by the Chiefs on both sides of the ball.

3) I wish the AFC Championship Game had been officiated the way the Super Bowl had been. The Chiefs were doing things which beyond question should have been flagged in the AFC Championship Game. Nice to see that stuff finally get flagged, even if the flags came a game too late.

Totally disagree - the biggest difference in the 2 gameplans was that:

1) KC lost one of their best lineman at the end of the Bills game making the KC O-line significantly weaker in the Super Bowl.

2) TB had 2 guys outside and 2 guys inside on the DLine that could destroy any 1 on 1 blocking - meaning every snap 1-2 TB rushers were beating their men.  The rest of the TB defense was nearly identical to what Buffalo ran.  2 Deep safeties- mostly off coverage with trying to double Hill and Kelce.  The difference was the pass rush forcing Mahomes to throw in 2-3 seconds rather than 4-5 seconds.  The extra time to pass allows Hill to stretch the Defense and pull defenders deep - opening more space for Kelce.  The other big thing was the Kelce drops that multiple times kept drives going against Buffalo, but ended drives in the SB.

3) Officiating and Home field made a huge difference for KC.  They got multiple ticky-tac calls against our DBs and nothing called on their DBs.  In the SB it went the other way - KC got called for all of the close calls, the off sides, the PI, the holding calls and TB got away with the close calls.

The Bills defensive game plan is the plan that works - drop 7 into coverage and double Hill and Kelce, but it requires a pass rush.  

Early in the season these 2 teams played and Hill destroyed TB because they could not get a pass rush going against the original KC OL.  With out their Tackles - the DE/OLB combo could get up field and the DTs had their way with the guards/center combo and that prevented Hill from having time to break free for the completions.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This isn't rocket science.  Tampa's front 7 was far superior to ours. David could actually cover Kelce, Edmunds I guess can't or Sean doesn't think so. White is worlds better than Milano. Their front 4 put tremendous pressure without blitzing. Every fan knows where we need to improve. 

1. Front 7

2. OL

I agree with the ideas here, but the reason they could cover Kelce better was because of the pass rush more than anything else.  They had to cover Kelce for a limited time - much shorter than Milano and Edmunds - so of course it looks better.

In their first meeting with TB missing some DL and a more healthy OL for KC.  Hill and Kelce put up 350 yards receiving on 21 receptions with only 2 incompletions.  Kelce had more drops than that in the Super Bowl.

I agree we need better DL to get more and better pressure and better OL to hold up in the middle, but if you put Edmunds on TB instead of David - Kelce gets covered for the 2.5 seconds and with Mahomes running backwards 10+ yards on several snaps - it gave the entire TB defense a better opportunity to force plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Read My Offseason Plan - almost exactly what I wanted

I read both and I’m close.  If you have to get one FA upgrade, and you look at the positions we could use an add it’s RB (no we need a young explosive one, I.e. Harris in the draft), an edge rusher (way too expensive in FA), CB (a nice add, but we have some talent in the 2nd sitting next to Hyde, Poyer, and White), and TE.  Whether it’s Henry, injury issues, but maybe, or if there is another that’s a game changer, this position group is less in the tight end market.  

The only problem is it eats up $ even if constructed well for any of the needed extensions.  We’re not as far off as has been stated so it’s like what Beane said, no big splashes.  I’d love a TE in FA, I just know if Beane can accomplish everything.  The next two years we have the AFCS/NFCS, then the AFCN/NFCN.  This upcoming year could be another good one.  Some competition, but this past year was very competitive.

TB's superior D-line and linebackers were a bigger difference than their very similar game plan. It just worked so much better with their guys.

The main game plan difference was that they hit Kelce off the line, and we let him off free. But he ended up open a lot in both games, and with very similar stats. 

The bigger difference was TB created a ton of interior pressure AND edge pressure so Mahomes couldn't escape, and they stepped up in the clutch when KC got in their territory and stopped them from scoring TDs. Players making plays, not coaching figuring out the magic formula.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Our front 7 just isn't good enough right now.  They would never admit this publicly but I wonder if behind closed doors there's some frustration on McDermott and Beane's end from the production they've gotten out of Edmunds and Oliver.  These two guys were drafted to be the cornerstones of our defensive rebuild.  Considering where our offense is at now and the fact we will still be able to win a lot of games in the regular season with our offense alone we will be drafting a lot lower going forward and I just wonder if Beane and McDermott are worried where they will be able to get some stud players for the front 7 going forward because I also don't think we will have the salary cap ability to sign big ticket free agents either.  I think that could be a real legitimate concern but like I said these guys are never going to let on to that through the media.  If Edmunds was our Kuechly/Devin White and Oliver was like our Aaron Donald our entire defense would look so much better.

Hard dose of reality right here.

I wonder if you see some surprise moves to free up cap space and take advantage of the surplus of good free agents that everyone is expecting this offseason. I could see Beane pulling the trigger to shore these areas up even if it means hurting our explosive play ability somewhat... In the end, if these guys want to win a super bowl, it was made abundantly clear that some changes are needed.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

1. What game plan were you watching? The Bucs ran the same concept and schemes on Defense the Bills did. They just executed them better because their skill position players are just better.

2. As far as the lines go. Defensively it helps having massive guys like Suh and Vea clogging and disrupting an O Line that was missing their 2 starting tackles. Offensively all Tampa did was take what was given as Brady was his usual self getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds and taking the check down every time it was available. Oh and it's amazing how a competent power run game can keep a defense honest isn't it?

3. True, it was officiated differently. The difference was the Bills kept waiting for the refs to throw flags and to take control of the chippy play when it was obvious they were going to let them play "sticky" as Romo said. When you get punched in the mouth you either punch back harder or fold into the fetal and take it. Guess which one the Bills did?

4. The Bucs are a better defensive unit, period. They have the better skill players and executed, it's that simple. As I mentioned in #3,  when KC tried getting physical the Bucs accepted the challenge and smacked them back even harder. They didn't wait for the officials though in all fairness they didn't have to deal with the physicality the Bills did because they were actually flagging the holding and PI's from KC.

5. Don't know what any of that had to do with the SB but if you're trying to make the point that Mahomes was brought up and groomed better than Allen while the whole time having an all star cast on offense? Yeah, sure. But make no mistake that Mahomes is then and now the better and more polished QB. He has better fluidity to his game and throws with better accuracy and anticipation since the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I love JA and he is the future in Buffalo but Mahomes is a better finished product. I will admit though Josh would benefit from a Kelce and a better running game.

People on this board are so much smarter then me. Thanks for the breakdown, I should start paying attention to defensive schemes to enjoy this aspect of the game.

I never played football at any level, but it's pretty awesome that the totally ignorant fan compared to someone with this type of insight can both watch, appreciate, and still lose their minds watching their football team.

According to NFL networks analyst Bucky Brooks, who is an ex Buffalo Bill and an ex NFL scout.

He stated that the Bills and Bucs ran nearly the exact same defense against the Chiefs only the Bucs had the players to pull it off. 

A confluence of things also helped the Bucs, KC lost their starting LT in the AFC Champ game. Once the Bucs got a big lead they were able to tee off with their pass rush and not worry about the run. Mahomes was injured as he clearly couldn't move around as well as he did in some past games. 

AND, Travis Kelce did have his way, 10 receptions for 133 yards on 15 targets. 

When the Chiefs did ran the ball they did well and simply didn't run often enough. While they kept asking their injured QB with a suspect O line to carry the game.

KC RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, 9 rushes for 64 yards a 7.1 YPC AVG.

The Bucs were in a constant pass defensive scheme and daring the Chiefs to run!  KC just kept attempting to pass (sound familiar?).After watching the Green Bay NFC Championship game you would think that the Chiefs would run more...even against that #1 against the run Bucs defense. 

Still, this same defense managed to have strong performances against the Packers and Saints. Dropping Rodgers 4x, and while the Bucs defense normally blitzed 39% of a game most of the season, the Bucs only sent more than four rushers five times the entire game. 

The Bucs were able to pressure Mahomes a record 29 times! 26 of 49 for 270 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs. 69.3 passer rating. Ouch! Nearly 500 yards of running for his life in that game.

The Bucs D line is very formidable and yet those LBers White, David, Barrett...Yowie! 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

5) Throughout his career Patrick Mahomes has been completely set up for success. His offensive cast would dominate the other team's defense, his coaching staff would dominate the other team's coaching staff. He sat and learned as a rookie, and became the starter in his second year. In contrast, Josh Allen began his career under just about the worst circumstances possible. He had what might have been the worst OL in team history. His WR corps consisted of Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, and the rookie WR Zay Jones. He was thrown in as a rookie, in game 1, after the starter's reps in the offseason had all been given to Nate Peterman. Hard to meaningfully compare numbers when you've literally done everything possible to set one guy up for success and the other up for failure. This is the first game that I can remember in which Mahomes didn't have the benefit of his supporting cast dominating the other team's defense, and in which his coaching staff failed to dominate the opponent's defensive coaches. In that situation Mahomes looked very human. Very very beatable. Claims that Mahomes is better than Josh Allen are becoming increasingly less convincing, at least to me. Allen clearly outplayed Mahomes in the second half of the 2020 season. I'm not saying I know which one is better than the other, because I don't. It will be interesting to see how things shake out over the next few years.

End of the day the Bills defence does not have the play makers that Tampa has and it showed,  the Bills need at least 3 new starters in their front 7.  Let Milano walk and sign a play making LB,  either one of Tampa's LB'S who are free agents will do.  Get rid of Butler/Jefferson and Addison who did next to zero this season and use that money to sign a DE or true space eater.  This defence was a huge problem most of the season and was covered up by Allen and our offence,  so replacing 2-3 starters is needed because we cannot beat KC with what we have.  In our secondary it would not be an bad idea to take a look at replacing one of the two safeties if the right player becomes available through draft or free agency,  both guys are slow and no longer making the huge plays that they were when they first arrived.  Having said that ,  I also think if we can fix our front 7 so it can provide more consistent pass rushing then i think we can go another season with our safeties.  Pass rush & coverage or length of time DB'S can stay with a player go hand and hand.  Yes i agree that Frazier needed to be most aggressive but Tampa has better talent and Bowles did not have to blitz to get pressure on Mahomes. On offensive side of the ball i would focus on finding a true feature RB with enough speed to make big plays both running and on screens when teams start sending extra guys.

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

They swung and missed on those guys. It’s a risk you take in free agency. They thought they could get more production from those signings and it didn’t work out. I expect they’ll do their best to remedy the problems. 

Swing and missing on draft picks is one thing, but when you have the most expensive d line in 2020 at 50+ million (would been 60 had star played) and a top 10 and #54 pick to boot, man, you’d hope  you would be talking about it as a strength.  

• Agree 1

the difference in the d performances was obvious.

i was interested to see that brady attempted like 5 passes to WRs, and two of them were junk balls that got penalties!

they just rode the TE and RB to frustrate the kc D, and used play action.  they decided to lower the degree of difficulty as much as possible, while dabol made some goofy errors just forcing the ball to WRs who could not get open due to health and being roughed up all day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Lol not 'rocket science' ...thats exactly what I'm saying.  The bucs installed the same vanilla, soft 2 high safety coverage look as us and we are talking like Bowles is some kind of legendary coach and our coaching staff is hopeless and should all be fired 🤣 kelce got whatever he wanted underneath against the bucs the dude had like 5+ catches for 100 yards at halftime and was consistently wide open.  The bucs had some help with being able to attack a practice squad level player on the chiefs offensive line and the chiefs oline was absolutely gassed in the second half when they needed to work the ball deep down the field to get back in the game.  We can't directly compare our teams efforts to the bucs just because we both played the same team.  Losing fisher completely sunk them and their coaching staff made 0 adjustments honestly I feel much better about the bills coaching staff after seeing that game not worse.  If we had four quarters against the fisher-less chiefs i dont think we wouldve looked as dominant as the bucs but we wouldve gotten pretty consistent pressure.  They had to shuffle players all over the place 

Except Todd Bowles' game plan worked for his personnel. Part of having a good game plan is coming up with the right matchups per your team's and the opposing team's limitations. 

I sincerely hope Frazier wasn't banking on getting a record number of QB hurries rushing 4. 

I ain't calling for anybody's head. Virtually all the brilliant DC's have struggled against this Chiefs offense trying every which way. Andy Reid for his part got owned not running the ball more to keep Bowles' safeties honest.

But Frazier shouldn't get credit for running a defense that got trounced. 

Our problem was getting receivers open IMO. I expected our defense to have an uphill battle.

Edited by FormerlyPT5P