[Dead cap] With the Goff and (pending) Wentz trades...

eball

This would definitely be the year to have cap space. A lot of teams are going to have to make tough decisions to get under the number. The Saints especially. There will be a bunch of players on the market you wouldn't normally see due to this. It ought to be an interesting offseason for sure. 

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane killed the most money in NFL history in the 2018 offseason.........I'm sure he'd gladly give up that distinction.

If you mean the offseason following 2017 when the Bills purged their roster of failed picks and contracts that enabled them to build the current roster, I think we all look back at the 6-10 2018 season with fondness.  I also don’t recall Beane making the sort of disastrous decision with a top draft pick both the Rams and Eagles made (and will now pay for).  Beane deserved the leeway to get the Bills’ cap back into shape and by all accounts he has done that.  It is curious to me why you feel the need to snipe, even now.

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I absolutely can.

I mean, you have to be utterly convinced that he stands a very solid chance to be your franchise guy. Without that, of course it won't happen. But I think there are teams out there willing to believe that.

His salary is $15.4M and the roster bonus is $10M. That's a lot. Unless he's a top ten QB. Then it's actually cheapish.

Plus nothing is guaranteed in 2022. Very doable for any team that believes.

Yeah - its 2yr 47 mil - not terrible.  That would leave philly with 34m but they can then split it over 2 years.  Plus if you fix him - years 3 and 4 aren't bad anyway.

You're probably right though - we dumped tyrod for pick 65 and they picked up his bonus.  Teams want QBs. 

Edited by dneveu

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Prioritizing the wrong QBs brought us the drought.

Exactly we actually invested a lot into the QB position. 2nd for Collins, big contract for Johnson, 1st for Bledsoe, traded into the 1st for Losman, and a 1st for EJ. Plus brining in all kinds of free agents hoping guys like Fitz and Tyrod could be the answer. 

23 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Exactly we actually invested a lot into the QB position. 2nd for Collins, big contract for Johnson, 1st for Bledsoe, traded into the 1st for Losman, and a 1st for EJ. Plus brining in all kinds of free agents hoping guys like Fitz and Tyrod could be the answer. 

1st and 4th round picks for Johnson too.  Flutie was probably the most notable free agent.  But you had the holcombs, fitz, tyrod, orton.  

Edited by dneveu

35 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Yup.  Contrary to what some will have you believe it's not that the Bills didn't try to find Kelly's replacement...they were just wrong with their selections.

17 hours ago, eball said:

...teams should be looking at the Rams' and Eagles' rosters to pounce on what will most certainly be a number of cap casualties.  The dead cap hits for Goff and Wentz are astronomical and with a reduced cap in 2021 those teams are going to have to release players they'd otherwise keep.  It will be interesting to watch how this all plays out, and whether other teams can find some bargains as a result.

Can the designate post June 1 trade to spread out the hit?

there are gonna be a lot of guns for hire this offseason.  i want pass rush and TE in FA, possibly RB and interior OL/DL, and much less possibly OLB/MLB if we move edmunds.

I figure interior OL is draft, pass rush has to be FA, TE shouldn't be too hard in FA, RB and LB can be drafted too.

4 hours ago, eball said:

If you mean the offseason following 2017 when the Bills purged their roster of failed picks and contracts that enabled them to build the current roster, I think we all look back at the 6-10 2018 season with fondness.  I also don’t recall Beane making the sort of disastrous decision with a top draft pick both the Rams and Eagles made (and will now pay for).  Beane deserved the leeway to get the Bills’ cap back into shape and by all accounts he has done that.  It is curious to me why you feel the need to snipe, even now.

Beane established an NFL record for dead cap money accrued that offseason.

Take what you want from that.

His 2018 free agent class was also dead money walking........simply awful.

Beane has improved greatly after that very rough start in cap management....................he and McD have seemingly shown an ability to learn from mistakes.........it would just behoove them to not make the wrong turn the first time, every time going forward.........because they are going to have to adapt like everyone else if they want to become a long term success story.

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane killed the most money in NFL history in the 2018 offseason.........I'm sure he'd gladly give up that distinction.

Do you think Beane lays awake at night thinking about how his name is associated with the biggest dead cap hit in league history?  Do people sit around and discuss the biggest dead caps in history?  I don’t think Beane cares about that.  He knows that dead cap hit was part of his journey to building one of the best teams in the league. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane established an NFL record for dead cap money accrued that offseason.

Take what you want from that.

His 2018 free agent class was also dead money walking........simply awful.

Beane has improved greatly after that very rough start in cap management....................he and McD have seemingly shown an ability to learn from mistakes.........it would just behoove them to not make the wrong turn the first time, every time going forward.........because they are going to have to adapt like everyone else if they want to become a long term success story.

He had a plan.  Accruing dead cap for one season was the bullet he had to bite.  Everyone realized what he was doing.  Some took it out on him and saw it as a negative play. As if Marcel Dareus and Sammy watkins were going to win us a super bowl  Some saw it as a rebuilds and rebuild often accrue dead cap (and draft picks).   The dead cap season didn’t matter....what happens afterward is what matters.  What’s happened afterwards is playoffs followed by the AFCCG.  His plan worked.  It was worth the dead cap for one season. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think the cap will be a hell of a lot closer to 198 than it will be to 175

The league/owners gain nothing keeping the cap low, the owners will happily loan themselves money to keep the gravy train rolling, 

8 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Not prioritizing a QB is what brought us to the drought

plus having ugly ass uniforms. Perhaps not a coincidence the Bills returned to prominence along with returning to the having one of the best unis in the league

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Going for broke on FA splashes is what brought us to a 17 year drought.  It’s more important to have a strategy and stick to that long term strategy.

I agree, but that strategy does not preclude taking advantage of an opportunity to get talent when it is priced right,

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I personally have no idea but man I sure hope so! If the cap is 180 or less I see this team taking a step back. It's just the reality of it.

All the good teams have to deal with the same thing though. If they ALL have to take a step back, nothing has really changed. And there are a bunch of good teams with a worse cap situation than the Bills.

On 2/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, eball said:

...teams should be looking at the Rams' and Eagles' rosters to pounce on what will most certainly be a number of cap casualties.  The dead cap hits for Goff and Wentz are astronomical and with a reduced cap in 2021 those teams are going to have to release players they'd otherwise keep.  It will be interesting to watch how this all plays out, and whether other teams can find some bargains as a result.

The negotiation will be complicated because the figure will be so large and general manager Brandon Beane will want some flexibility for an escape if Allen's career takes the kind of unexpected down turn as those of Jared Goff, who was just traded from the Los Angeles Rams to Detroit and Carson Wentz, who soon will be traded by Philadelphia.

The Bills, according to overthecap.com, are projected with total cap liabilities of $188 million for 2021. However, Beane has structured the contracts of many veterans so that they can easily get under the cap with some tweaks and possibly be able to re-sign all their valued players whose contracts have expired, like linebacker Matt Milano and tackle Daryl Williams.

A new contract for Allen would help them with all other negotiations.

Nick Fierro is the publisher of Bills Central. Check out the latest Bills news at www.si.com/nfl/bills and follow Fierro on Twitter at @NickFierro.

Looking at the cap situation I think if it ends up mid $180s then LA should be okay for this year. There some cans that can be kicked on Robert Woods and Rob Havenstein. In terms of guys who might have to be sacrificed I think Michael Brockers is the biggest name but don't see him as a Bills fit. A mid range name that could be moved and would interest me a tad is Tyler Higbee but I doubt he would be an outright cut, I expect he would garner some trade interest coming off a career year with over 700 yards. They save $2.3m with a cut but that rockets to $5.3m with a trade. That is a call Beane should make IMO. He isn't going to command more than a day 3 pick.... but if we could flip one of our 5th rounders for him I'd be very interested. I doubt the Rams want to lose him but they did take Brycen Hopkins in the 4th last year to prepare for the fact Everett is a FA this year and Higbee is one next year. If they are not planning to re-sign him long term then it is possible. They could sign him long term and try and reduce his hit in 2021 of course.... but 2022 looks even tougher for them.... yes the cap will go up, but they have $167m allocated to just 28 players. I think it might be hard to keep Higbee long term. 

Edited by GunnerBill