[Dead cap] With the Goff and (pending) Wentz trades...

eball

...teams should be looking at the Rams' and Eagles' rosters to pounce on what will most certainly be a number of cap casualties.  The dead cap hits for Goff and Wentz are astronomical and with a reduced cap in 2021 those teams are going to have to release players they'd otherwise keep.  It will be interesting to watch how this all plays out, and whether other teams can find some bargains as a result.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, eball said:

While true to a certain extent, the Rams and Eagles will have the largest dead cap hits in NFL history.

Beane killed the most money in NFL history in the 2018 offseason.........I'm sure he'd gladly give up that distinction.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Really, with the cap declining this offseason, you could say this about most of the teams in the NFL. It's a great offseason to be a team with cap space.

Bills should go all-in to win it all next year. Even if it means a few 1-yr "prove it" deals for key roles 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Really, with the cap declining this offseason, you could say this about most of the teams in the NFL. It's a great offseason to be a team with cap space.

Just collecting a lot of mismatched FA does not build a team.  Ask all those Cowboys and Redskin teams !!!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Just collecting a lot of mismatched FA does not build a team.  Ask all those Cowboys and Redskin teams !!!

Sure, if they aren't the right guys. But signing a bunch of good players to relatively cheap deals is a good way to build a team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I personally have no idea but man I sure hope so! If the cap is 180 or less I see this team taking a step back. It's just the reality of it.

but would have everyone in the same boat so we should still be very good 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Topic titles must reflect the content of the topic (and it must contain more than just a name). This helps to reduce the number of duplicate topics and makes the community much more user friendly.

Please edit the title so that it properly reflects the discussion that you started.

Thank you.

Seriously, you have too much time on your hands. 

• Haha (+1) 4

• eball changed the title to [Dead cap] With the Goff and (pending) Wentz trades...
4 hours ago, eball said:

...teams should be looking at the Rams' and Eagles' rosters to pounce on what will most certainly be a number of cap casualties.  The dead cap hits for Goff and Wentz are astronomical and with a reduced cap in 2021 those teams are going to have to release players they'd otherwise keep.  It will be interesting to watch how this all plays out, and whether other teams can find some bargains as a result.

This all starts and ends with Cooper Kupp!!!:wub: Also Dallas Goedert would be a great addition.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Filling holes with strategic adds is not the same as building entire team with hodge podge FAs. 

As an example, would you say no to a Patrick Peterson for one year ?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dneveu said:

I cant see a team trading for wentz and eating that 10m roster bonus either.  

I absolutely can.

I mean, you have to be utterly convinced that he stands a very solid chance to be your franchise guy. Without that, of course it won't happen. But I think there are teams out there willing to believe that.

His salary is $15.4M and the roster bonus is $10M. That's a lot. Unless he's a top ten QB. Then it's actually cheapish.

Plus nothing is guaranteed in 2022. Very doable for any team that believes.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This is the exact same thing people said about the Bucs last offseason. It’s comical. 😅

Nobody with a single ounce of sense said this about the Bucs. Out of 22 starters this year, 14 were Bucs draft picks.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 2