Re-sign or “Wave Good-bye” series: Player 5 - Jon Feliciano

YoloinOhio

OG Jon Feliciano   

234 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or Wave Good-bye?

• Offer above market value, whatever it takes to keep him
    • Offer market value deal, but if he gets more elsewhere let him walk
    • Make an offer, but that market value is too pricey for his value to the team
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

On this Bills team, I don't think you keep Morse AND Feliciano. You sit down with Morse and have a serious conversation about his thoughts on concussions and playing another season. Don't even talk to Feliciano about numbers until you sit down with Morse.

On a separate note, there is no way I'm paying Feliciano 8M per year average. I love his attitude, not his play.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

We all saw yesterday what a broken O Line does to an otherwise dominant team.   You can't recover from a bad or broken O Line.   And every team saw that yesterday and will be protecting their O Line guys.  Its a good day to be a solid O Line guy in the NFL.   You will get paid.  

I agree with investing in the OL. Im just not sure I overpay for average which I what I see when I look at this. I think this is where I try to upgrade the position at a cheaper amount, meaning the draft. I would keep boettger because he’s cheaper and pencil him in at LG and Ford at RG. Draft a G in the first 3 rounds and let him earn a spot. Assuming Morse stays, that is. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree with investing in the OL. Im just not sure I overpay for average which I what I see when I look at this. I think this is where I try to upgrade the position at a cheaper amount, meaning the draft. I would keep boettger because he’s cheaper and pencil him in at LG and Ford at RG. Draft a G in the first 3 rounds and let him earn a spot. Assuming Morse stays, that is. 

I think we've got to keep Feliciano because he'll at worst be solid depth at G and C.

• Like (+1) 1

Love his attitude.  Not a fan of his overall play. 

I haven’t looked into which OGs will hit the market this offseason, but I think I’d rather roll the dice on someone else if we’re going to pay even close to the listed market value he’s barely worth 5M aav imo.  I have nightmares of Chris Jones destroying him over and over again.  

Resigning him to play C might be the best option for him returning.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think we've got to keep Feliciano because he'll at worst be solid depth at G and C.

Unless spotrac’s market value is wildly off, I can’t pay that for solid depth. I like him, agree he’s versatile, but he’s anywhere from solid depth to average starter and that just way too replaceable for me at that price point 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Unless spotrac’s market value is wildly off, I can’t pay that for solid depth. I like him, agree he’s versatile, but he’s anywhere from solid depth to average starter and that just way too replaceable for me at that price point 

Right but the reason he'd be solid depth is him getting beat by a cheap rookie, I think it might balance out.

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I'd offer him a deal somewhere in the $5M-$6M range on a 3 year deal with about $10M being guaranteed. Nothing more than that though. 

i would guarantee more to give him incentive to accept a lesser yearly avg and less cap hit. And then probably with expectation he will be a center if Morse is gone. Although it would only cost about 1 mill to keep Morse with a restructure vs cut and dead cap.

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mongo is a UFA and will be 29 on Wednesday (Happy Bday). He played and started 9 games in 2020 (missed first part of season due to torn pec). He played 48 % of snaps with 489 at RG, 212 at C, 73 at LG. He allowed 0 sacks, 32 pressures, and had 3 penalties. A former 4th rd pick of the Raiders, he has never been a consistent starter, but is versatile on the interior OL. Known as a better run blocker than pass protection. 

spotrac lists his market value as:

Market Value

4 yrs, $33,489,975

Avg. Salary: $8,372,494

NFL Rank: 228

G Rank: 17

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jon-feliciano-16854/market-value/

Two points:

1) I'm not sure what "has never been a consistent starter" means in the context of Jon starting 17 of 17 games in 2019 and every game since he was activated off IR in 2020 (12 of 12 since activation) NOTE: including playoffs.  When a guy has started every game he's not on IR for 2 seasons, I'd call him a "consistent starter"

2) People discussing Jon's run blocking should have a look at Cover1's video "glaring issues in the run game" then go back and look at some film for themselves.  He may be a better run blocker than a pass blocker but he was def. part of the problem with the run game at times this season. 

3) I think he had a bad game against Kansas City

That said, I think it's hard to know how much his injury and the fall-out from it was impacting him after he came back (no reps, limited strength training, probably some limits on other forms of conditioning, possibly needing pain meds to get through the game) so there is a case to be made for reserving judgement.  Jon himself said in an interview "I haven't blocked well this season" or words to that effect.

4) I'm not sure the run blocking style that best suits him is the run style Daboll actually aspires to - so there's that question

I believe the Spotrac market value is based upon perception of Jon as an OL starter

My $0.02:

-I like Mongo a lot.  I think he's a great guy with a great story of overcoming adversity.

-I think the Bills need an upgrade on the interior line, and you can't upgrade while keeping things the same

-If Mongo is the answer at center, which many seem to believe, I want to know what is the question? since pass blocking and consistent snaps should still be a priority and I think Morse > Mongo at both of those

• Like (+1) 1

While he is a fan favorite I’m not sure he’ll return. During his press conference Beane specifically mentioned getting more athletic upfront. Athleticism is not Mongo’s strength. He’s more of a win with power guy. I could see Beane offering him a 1 year deal similar to McKenzie last year. (Obviously at a way higher rate)

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Such a tough decision. I don't make this decision until after signing Daryl Williams. Once the OTs are locked up I see what's left and how we handle Feliciano and Morse. 

Totally agree. We need to focus on Williams first then worry about what to do with Morse/Feliciano. I think our draft and fa will be heavy trenches. 

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Love his attitude.  Not a fan of his overall play. 

This

I have nightmares of Chris Jones destroying him over and over again.

Glad it's not just me

Resigning him to play C might be the best option for him returning.  

I pointed this out elsewhere - the thing about Feliciano that Beane consistently praises is his versatility, to play either side of the line or center.

The minute he's penciled in as the starting C you lose that very attribute Beane most praises

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does anyone else think we might move on from Williams and look to the draft for an OT?  I'm not advocating, just asking.

Definitely a chance. I honestly don’t think anything is off the table.  We’re so close, but we might be one star away (pass rusher most likely).  If Beane is looking to add that impact player all of our free agents are at risk of not returning imo.  

Agree with not keeping both Morse and Feliciano. I think you can re-sign Feliciano for less money than what we are paying Morse. So I would cut/trade Morse and move Feliciano to Center. Gives a little bit more size up front and Feliciano did a decent enough job there where I don't think Morse will be missed.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

-If Mongo is the answer at center, which many seem to believe, I want to know what is the question? since pass blocking and consistent snaps should still be a priority and I think Morse > Mongo at both of those

I think you have mentioned before but cutting Morse only frees up about $5m space which you would likely spend ( and more) on Mongo...

I would bring back Morse in 2021 as I believe he is the better C ...although not having Mongo as the backup C is a risk..

Longer term they need another answer which probably means looking to draft someone   ... not sure if it will happen this year given some other holes... maybe a Day 3 guy with potential that they can take a flier on and develop to take over from Morse in 2022..

Cut Morse, re-sign Feliciano as a major priority.

I dont like saying "whatever it takes", but felt I had to pick that for at least ONE of these threads. So I'm doing that here.

Although I'm not sure if I should pick that option for Feliciano or DWilliams, but definitely one of the OL UFAs.